I intend to spend a week in Spain in the period around Christmas and New Year and have a few questions in order to assist with my planning. Any advice/information would be much appreciated!
First things first - to what extent are public transport (and in particular, RENFE) timetables likely to be impacted by the Bank Holidays/Christmas period? News articles from previous years don't state exact details but suggest a near normal service operates, with the only specifics being an early shutdown on Christmas Eve and late startup on Christmas Day for Madrid Metro services. The RENFE website only shows schedules and fares around 6 weeks in advance so it's not possible to see what they are planning to run yet. Trenitalia-owned Open Access operator Iryo now sells tickets a year in advance...
Wikipedia suggests that Intercity services from Madrid to Algeciras and Almería are hauled by Class 334 diesel locomotives, which seem similar to Class 67s - is this correct? The calling points and journey time for the former imply it takes the Málaga-bound high speed line as far as Antequera. Surely this must involve a loco change somewhere like Antequera - I can't imagine it being diesel hauled for the vast majority of the journey, running at 200km/h over 300km/h high speed lines? Although if so, we can hardly talk, with Voyagers and Adelantes running at 125mph under the wires
The Almería service being diesel hauled throughout seems more plausible as it uses the classic line all the way, AFAICT. Based on what has happened on other classic lines, I presume this service will cease once the Murcia-Almería high speed line opens?
The European rail map which I have shows the entire line from Almería to Algeciras via Granada and Antequera as being scenic - would others concur? There appear to be no direct services, all journeys seemingly requiring (long) interchanges at Granada and Antequera-Santa Ana.
I'm considering incorporating a visit to Gibraltar. It seems there is no longer a ferry from Algeciras, even though this is by far the closest city. Is the bus from Algeciras to La Linea, and then a walk across the border, therefore now the only option by public transport? I understand the infamous road across Gibraltar airport's runway has now closed and been replaced by a tunnel - what does this leave in terms of pedestrian or public transport options for crossing the border?
Melilla also appeals - has anyone been, and if so is it worth visiting? I have seen there are both flight options from Málaga/Almería/Madrid etc. allowing a day trip, as well as the ferry from Málaga which takes longer. Any recommendations for one over the other?
Finally, is there something else that I should consider seeing in the area, that I haven't mentioned above? I visited Málaga and did the Caminito del Rey walk some years back; that was certainly spectacular.
Thanks in advance!
First things first - to what extent are public transport (and in particular, RENFE) timetables likely to be impacted by the Bank Holidays/Christmas period? News articles from previous years don't state exact details but suggest a near normal service operates, with the only specifics being an early shutdown on Christmas Eve and late startup on Christmas Day for Madrid Metro services. The RENFE website only shows schedules and fares around 6 weeks in advance so it's not possible to see what they are planning to run yet. Trenitalia-owned Open Access operator Iryo now sells tickets a year in advance...
Wikipedia suggests that Intercity services from Madrid to Algeciras and Almería are hauled by Class 334 diesel locomotives, which seem similar to Class 67s - is this correct? The calling points and journey time for the former imply it takes the Málaga-bound high speed line as far as Antequera. Surely this must involve a loco change somewhere like Antequera - I can't imagine it being diesel hauled for the vast majority of the journey, running at 200km/h over 300km/h high speed lines? Although if so, we can hardly talk, with Voyagers and Adelantes running at 125mph under the wires
The Almería service being diesel hauled throughout seems more plausible as it uses the classic line all the way, AFAICT. Based on what has happened on other classic lines, I presume this service will cease once the Murcia-Almería high speed line opens?
The European rail map which I have shows the entire line from Almería to Algeciras via Granada and Antequera as being scenic - would others concur? There appear to be no direct services, all journeys seemingly requiring (long) interchanges at Granada and Antequera-Santa Ana.
I'm considering incorporating a visit to Gibraltar. It seems there is no longer a ferry from Algeciras, even though this is by far the closest city. Is the bus from Algeciras to La Linea, and then a walk across the border, therefore now the only option by public transport? I understand the infamous road across Gibraltar airport's runway has now closed and been replaced by a tunnel - what does this leave in terms of pedestrian or public transport options for crossing the border?
Melilla also appeals - has anyone been, and if so is it worth visiting? I have seen there are both flight options from Málaga/Almería/Madrid etc. allowing a day trip, as well as the ferry from Málaga which takes longer. Any recommendations for one over the other?
Finally, is there something else that I should consider seeing in the area, that I haven't mentioned above? I visited Málaga and did the Caminito del Rey walk some years back; that was certainly spectacular.
Thanks in advance!