- Joined
- 13 Dec 2018
- Messages
- 4,584
Having thought about it remember having 73s on a tour on two occasions where all of a sudden the diesel engines would start then we would run on diesel power then back to third rail after a while. Sure one was a tour around Hounslow loop with 002 and 005 and another with two 73/2s around late 2000s. Will have to do some digging!I was on a Portsmouth to north train, the previously mentioned 21 Aug 1982 one and they left Guildford on electric and as I was hanging out of the window watching I know they switched to diesel on the fly during the slow down at the site of the former junction between Wanborough and Ash. The other interesting observation was that pretty much all coaches seemed to be CK with 1st class downgraded by paper notices so a very interesting and comfortable trip.