• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Southern rail shunter future vacancies

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hem11921

New Member
Joined
8 Aug 2025
Messages
2
Location
crawley
Morning all.
I’ve applied to the future vacancies for shunter drivers with southern rail.
Whilst I appreciate it’s somewhat of an unknown length of time, does anyone have experience as to how far “future vacancies” could be ahead of today?

I’ve read other threads about the role/shift pattern etc.
overtime would be a big thing to top up the salary. Whilst another thread gave information about how it could work, if there’s almost no guarantee of overtime then it could make mortgage and general living a tad difficult.

Also, from those who work/worked for southern….
In general, how are they to work for?

Cheers all!
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Javelin_55

Member
Joined
9 Apr 2020
Messages
156
Location
South East
How "future" the vacancies are likely depends on how many training courses they run each year, and how full the talent pool for this role currently is. Unless you work for GTR recruitment, I don't think there's any way of knowing.

I would heavily caution against working out affordability based on overtime. There will be an equalisation system in place that ensures everyone gets a fair shot at whatever extra work is going, so trying to calculate how much you could make each month purely through rest day work will be a shot in the dark. That's if there's any at all. My roster was half empty at the start of the year and struggled to fill shifts even with everyone grabbing extra. Now we're fully staffed and the only chance I stand at getting overtime is if one person's sick and the other is on leave.

I don't work for Southern so can't say how they are to work for. But I haven't heard many horror stories.
 

Hem11921

New Member
Joined
8 Aug 2025
Messages
2
Location
crawley
How "future" the vacancies are likely depends on how many training courses they run each year, and how full the talent pool for this role currently is. Unless you work for GTR recruitment, I don't think there's any way of knowing.

I would heavily caution against working out affordability based on overtime. There will be an equalisation system in place that ensures everyone gets a fair shot at whatever extra work is going, so trying to calculate how much you could make each month purely through rest day work will be a shot in the dark. That's if there's any at all. My roster was half empty at the start of the year and struggled to fill shifts even with everyone grabbing extra. Now we're fully staffed and the only chance I stand at getting overtime is if one person's sick and the other is on leave.

I don't work for Southern so can't say how they are to work for. But I haven't heard many horror stories.
Thanks for the reply. Really appreciate it.
I’d be dropping nearly £8.5k a year to go to shunting, but the trains are where I want to work.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top