• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

southern rail season

Status
Not open for further replies.

387star

On Moderation
Joined
16 Nov 2009
Messages
6,665
Hi I have just bought a Southern Season ticket (National Rail do not appear to offer this) and the website appeared to force me into buying using the expensive next day delivery option (£6) when I was hoping to just pick the ticket up from the machine

Question is why didn't the option come up to pick the ticket up from the station? My local station is Chichester and it does have the right facilities

Thanks!
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Joined
6 Jun 2005
Messages
78,435
Location
Yorkshire
National Rail (ATOC) do not sell any tickets, it's for information only.

You will have to ask Southern that question directly.

I selected a Chichester to London season starting 8 July, and it did the same thing for me. I then tried another station (Portsmouth) and it did the same again. I then tried London to Chichester (which, by the way, has identical validity as a Chichester to London) and it also did the same thing. I therefore conclude it doesn't matter which station you choose from and their system may be broken.
 

RJ

Established Member
Joined
25 Jun 2005
Messages
8,824
Location
Back office
My TiS doesn't print TOD for season tickets, sundries, platform tickets and other miscellaneous products. I advise that it would have been posted to the nominated address. It's not a bug in the system, there's a reason for everything.
 

dzug2

Member
Joined
5 Feb 2011
Messages
867
Are season tickets printed on different coloured stock? No idea, but if so that would account for them not being available from machines.
 

Malderon

Member
Joined
28 Oct 2010
Messages
81
Well Annuals are printed on Gold Card coloured stock but I'm not sure that has anything to do with it.

The machine at Chichester will only sell weeklys but I've never tried printing out a prebooked season ticket.

I have to get mine at the ticket office anyway for Easit discount

My guess is that its just a limitation of the machines that they cant print long season tickets, whether due to something mechanical or security reasons I have no idea.
 

MikeWh

Established Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Joined
15 Jun 2010
Messages
8,582
Location
Crayford
Are season tickets printed on different coloured stock? No idea, but if so that would account for them not being available from machines.

They were when I last had one (around ten years ago). Grey for monthlies and gold for annuals in the south east.
 

LexyBoy

Established Member
Joined
23 Jan 2009
Messages
4,478
Location
North of the rivers
They were when I last had one (around ten years ago). Grey for monthlies and gold for annuals in the south east.

Monthly tickets have always been on orange stock for me, though a colleague has a 6 month season on grey stock.

Whilst I agree that a no-cost delivery option should be available, why not buy the ticket at the station? This can be done at least one working day in advance, more for renewals IIRC.

 

Wolf_359

Member
Joined
11 Jun 2011
Messages
37
Location
Milton Keynes
Anything over a weekly ticket has to be issued by a booking office & registered on the season ticket database.

This is so that if you lose it or it wears out it can be replaced, also Annual Seasons are printed on different colour of ticket stock which are not available in a ticket machine. Shorter tickets are printed on Orange Stock.

It is also because your photocard number needs printed on the ticket & Quick Ticket Machines are unable to do this at the moment.
 
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top