• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Southern medical assessment

Status
Not open for further replies.

Matthew kirk

Member
Joined
13 Jun 2018
Messages
5
Hi. I’ve just had a medical assessment and drugs screening for southern for storesman role. To get to the point, I’ve had cancer and although I passed the drugs screening and all health tests, eyesight, hearing etc. A doctor there has requested to get more info from my surgeon to my condition. I am waiting to hear back. Is it likely that I can be refused this position due to having a history of cancer?
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

LCC106

Established Member
Joined
16 Nov 2011
Messages
1,493
Personally I wouldn't worry. You have been open and honest and they just want to understand the bigger picture. Easy for me to say but they are obviously probing for more info and not just saying a flat no to you.
 

Matthew kirk

Member
Joined
13 Jun 2018
Messages
5
Thanks for the reassurance. Been a lengthy process since applied and this is the most nerve wracking.
 

LOL The Irony

Established Member
Joined
29 Jul 2017
Messages
5,335
Location
Chinatown, New York
Not employing someone because they've had cancer is discrimination and they'd get into serious bother if they did that so you're in the clear. Also if you're still taking drugs for it, as long as they don't effect your abilities, you can't be refused the job for the same reasons.
 

AlterEgo

Verified Rep - Wingin' It! Paul Lucas
Joined
30 Dec 2008
Messages
29,669
Location
LBK
Not employing someone because they've had cancer is discrimination

No it would not be discrimination in and of itself. Having had cancer is not a protected characteristic. If the cancer left him disabled however then the Equality Act may apply.

In all likelihood the OP has nothing to worry about; this is just the company doing due diligence.
 
Joined
11 Nov 2017
Messages
33
I’m sure you’ll be fine dude! congrats on getting to this point in the application. What actually happens at the medical?
 

Matthew kirk

Member
Joined
13 Jun 2018
Messages
5
thanks. Medical was just discussing general health. Check blood pressure. Eye test. Colour blind test. Hearing test. Just simple things like check you can turn your head side to side/up and down, touch your toes. Give urine sample that tests for drugs. Takes about 5 mins to get the result so you know how you got on that day.
 

Journeyman

Established Member
Joined
16 Apr 2014
Messages
6,295
Hi. I’ve just had a medical assessment and drugs screening for southern for storesman role. To get to the point, I’ve had cancer and although I passed the drugs screening and all health tests, eyesight, hearing etc. A doctor there has requested to get more info from my surgeon to my condition. I am waiting to hear back. Is it likely that I can be refused this position due to having a history of cancer?

I guess they probably just want to make sure that the treatment you've had won't have left any lasting effect on your ability to do the job. So...do you get tired more quickly than usual, does it affect your ability to react quickly etc. I assume the answer to these is no, so yeah, I'm sure you'll be fine, but I can understand it must be doing your head in. Good luck.
 

Matthew kirk

Member
Joined
13 Jun 2018
Messages
5
I guess they probably just want to make sure that the treatment you've had won't have left any lasting effect on your ability to do the job. So...do you get tired more quickly than usual, does it affect your ability to react quickly etc. I assume the answer to these is no, so yeah, I'm sure you'll be fine, but I can understand it must be doing your head in. Good luck.

It is a bit mate. Just don’t want the hospital to sit on it that’s all. No I’ve had no effects from any treatment and take no medication as was just a straight removal so hopefully that’ll be good enough for them.
 

Journeyman

Established Member
Joined
16 Apr 2014
Messages
6,295
It is a bit mate. Just don’t want the hospital to sit on it that’s all. No I’ve had no effects from any treatment and take no medication as was just a straight removal so hopefully that’ll be good enough for them.

I'm sure you'll be fine, then. Might be worth you getting in touch with the hospital yourself in an attempt to speed things up - tell them it's really important and invent a fake deadline to get them to hurry up. :)
 

Matthew kirk

Member
Joined
13 Jun 2018
Messages
5
Received my offer yesterday and start date for next week. Took a while with hospital letter etc but got there in the end. Thanks all for advise etc.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top