• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Southern have opened a new Trainee Train Driver Vacancy for all LONDON DEPOTS

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

theageofthetra

Established Member
Joined
27 May 2012
Messages
3,565
Location
Beckenham
Hi I would really appreciate some help. I have an existing account from an application I made with Southern back in Aug last year. I have tried logging on via the link above and it does not recognise my log in. I am sure I remember seeing something on the forum that the recruitment website had changed? I am on ship at the mo & can only use the forum on my smartphone & the search doesn't work. I really need to contact Southern to discuss the application as I already have a full set of passes from a combination of assessments with Southern, FGW & Southeastern. Cheers for any help
 

Kukua

Member
Joined
8 Jun 2013
Messages
109
Hi I would really appreciate some help. I have an existing account from an application I made with Southern back in Aug last year. I have tried logging on via the link above and it does not recognise my log in. I am sure I remember seeing something on the forum that the recruitment website had changed? I am on ship at the mo & can only use the forum on my smartphone & the search doesn't work. I really need to contact Southern to discuss the application as I already have a full set of passes from a combination of assessments with Southern, FGW & Southeastern. Cheers for any help

it is probably best that you call them or register again
 

Pepperami

Member
Joined
6 Dec 2013
Messages
248
Location
West Sussex
I was just going to post this only just seen it :)

As above, call them on the recruitment line and ask them if they would email your details (I think this can also be done via the website for you to reset the password?)
 

Jones

Member
Joined
7 Feb 2014
Messages
238
Anybody know if you have to withdraw an active application if you want to apply for this?
 

Sirgerbil

Member
Joined
19 Sep 2012
Messages
357
Does anyone know how long the 'Training' period lasts for? I'd have to take a pretty hefty pay cut for the training salary but would be following a dream! Is it a 12 month training period?
 

KT530

Member
Joined
12 Jan 2013
Messages
186
Does anyone know how long the 'Training' period lasts for? I'd have to take a pretty hefty pay cut for the training salary but would be following a dream! Is it a 12 month training period?

Generally between 11 and 14 months
 

theageofthetra

Established Member
Joined
27 May 2012
Messages
3,565
Location
Beckenham
Sorry but I can't find the recruitment number on the website (I am looking on a mobile device if that makes any difference)
 

IKB

Member
Joined
15 Nov 2013
Messages
366
I note the advert is for 'all depots'.....can someone list where each Southern depot is located? Thanks.
 

A-driver

Established Member
Joined
9 May 2011
Messages
4,482
I note the advert is for 'all depots'.....can someone list where each Southern depot is located? Thanks.


As far as depots which take on trainees goes it's generally Vic, London bridge, Selhurst, Norwood, Brighton, barnham.

There are also depots at Horsham, three bridges and red hill but they rarely take on trainees due to long waiting lists from existing drivers. Three nice small 'dead mans shoes' depots also at Eastbourne, caterham and Epsom so if you put in a transfer whilst in your twenties you may make it to one of those depots before retiring!
 

IKB

Member
Joined
15 Nov 2013
Messages
366
As far as depots which take on trainees goes it's generally Vic, London bridge, Selhurst, Norwood, Brighton, barnham.

There are also depots at Horsham, three bridges and red hill but they rarely take on trainees due to long waiting lists from existing drivers. Three nice small 'dead mans shoes' depots also at Eastbourne, caterham and Epsom so if you put in a transfer whilst in your twenties you may make it to one of those depots before retiring!

Thanks for the reply. I'd probably be looking at Selhurst or Norwood for travel convenience.
 

A-driver

Established Member
Joined
9 May 2011
Messages
4,482
Thanks for the reply. I'd probably be looking at Selhurst or Norwood for travel convenience.


Selhurst is often easier to get into as a trainee. Ignore what people say about it as it has a reputation as one of the worst depots in the UK work wise but it's a job driving trains and I suppose you could take the attitude that as a trainee you have nothing to compare it to and anywhere else you go to will only be better! I never saw what all the fuss was about at Selhurst either.
 

A-driver

Established Member
Joined
9 May 2011
Messages
4,482
Might be a silly question, but surely Barnham is not considered as a London depot ?


I thought people were discussing all depots, not all London depots like the title states. Only 4 London depots-vic, bridge, Selhurst and Norwood.
 

JB25

Member
Joined
12 Jan 2013
Messages
355
Selhurst is a great depot...

I'm not going to start slating other depots but I would much prefer to be at Selhurst than Vic, Bridge or Norwood to be honest.

Most of the crap spouted about Selhurst often seems to come from people at other depots anyway. The work is really varied compared to other depots and a great opportunity to be a part of a large team.

As for the person who asked about how long the training takes, it is generally considered to be approximately 10-12 months. There were 5 on my course, one took 10 months, myself and one other took 11 months, the other two had to retake their final exam, one passed out after 15 months and the other is yet to resit. All depends on the individual more than anything.
 

Vicpaul

Member
Joined
22 Oct 2012
Messages
429
Location
Bletchley
Coming from the man who wants to come to vic hahaha no selhurst is a good depot and I wouldn't turn my nose up at it.

Oh and it was nine months :)
 

JB25

Member
Joined
12 Jan 2013
Messages
355
Coming from the man who wants to come to vic hahaha no selhurst is a good depot and I wouldn't turn my nose up at it.

Oh and it was nine months :)

Pretty sure it's ten... :shock:
 

Kukua

Member
Joined
8 Jun 2013
Messages
109
The application for this job has been open for a while...wondering if there is not many people applying in london
 

BromleyBoi

Member
Joined
1 Apr 2009
Messages
42
No, it's not that there's not enough people applying, it's down to the amount of drivers they are looking to recruit & train over the coming year.
 

Vicpaul

Member
Joined
22 Oct 2012
Messages
429
Location
Bletchley
There is an apparent 30 minute from depot clause but I know they have glanced over this before.

Victoria is the easiest to get to from Northampton but your giving yourself an insane commute. I commute in from Bletchley and that's bad enough
 

A-driver

Established Member
Joined
9 May 2011
Messages
4,482
There is an apparent 30 minute from depot clause but I know they have glanced over this before.



Victoria is the easiest to get to from Northampton but your giving yourself an insane commute. I commute in from Bletchley and that's bad enough


Most Vic drivers are over 30 mins away. Southern always say 30mins but it's never enforced (well within reason...)
 

IKB

Member
Joined
15 Nov 2013
Messages
366
There is an apparent 30 minute from depot clause but I know they have glanced over this before.

Victoria is the easiest to get to from Northampton but your giving yourself an insane commute. I commute in from Bletchley and that's bad enough

I have a serious question about the inner London depots - specifically Victoria and London Bridge.

Unless one lives in a £1m apartment within walking distance of these two depots (unlikely!) driving your private car is the only option if your turn starts/finishes when public transport isn't running (e.g. 0330 or 0230).

I don't have an issue with driving my car, but....what happens when you have to drive, for example, to London Bridge for 0330. Is there parking? When you finish your shift at perhaps 12 midday, you find yourself bang in the middle of the congestion charging zone. Who pays that?

Outer London depots (e.g. Selhurt or Norwood) I wouldn't see an issue with driving/parking, but interested to know how chaps who work from Victoria/LB juggle the transport issue.

Having worked in central London for some years, the prospect of commuting there invokes the words "ball ache" in my mind !
 

A-driver

Established Member
Joined
9 May 2011
Messages
4,482
I have a serious question about the inner London depots - specifically Victoria and London Bridge.



Unless one lives in a £1m apartment within walking distance of these two depots (unlikely!) driving your private car is the only option if your turn starts/finishes when public transport isn't running (e.g. 0330 or 0230).



I don't have an issue with driving my car, but....what happens when you have to drive, for example, to London Bridge for 0330. Is there parking? When you finish your shift at perhaps 12 midday, you find yourself bang in the middle of the congestion charging zone. Who pays that?



Outer London depots (e.g. Selhurt or Norwood) I wouldn't see an issue with driving/parking, but interested to know how chaps who work from Victoria/LB juggle the transport issue.



Having worked in central London for some years, the prospect of commuting there invokes the words "ball ache" in my mind !


First of all London bridge and Vic both have drivers car parking. It's limited but won't have too many problems finding space in the mornings.

As for getting there, most turns are reachable by train. A few arnt but most are. Inner London depots live Vic & London bridge generally don't start booking in before about 0500 with earlies booking in until about 0800. There are trains into both Vic and London bridge which will just about get you in in time.

You would pay congestion charge if you drove through the zone. Many drivers cycle in on earlies aswell but working out if you can get there for about 0500 by public transport should be good enough.

Whilst it won't help in interview, in practice if you really struggle to get in on earlies then you will fairly easily find someone to swap with and you work permanent lates.

But London bridge and Vic won't have regular work booking on at 0230/0300, generally 0500 is the earliest with the odd 0445 job thrown in.
 

Kukua

Member
Joined
8 Jun 2013
Messages
109
since i did stage 1 already with LM will i have to set another assessment with Southern if i pass the initial stage?
 

Vicpaul

Member
Joined
22 Oct 2012
Messages
429
Location
Bletchley
Very true yet most moved after joining.


As has been stated parking is available but all costs fuel/wear and tear/insurance/congestion charge etc are down to you.

Again as local depots we don't have extreme shifts Earlies from 0500 late finishes generally slope after 2330 but we do have some that go on till after 0100
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top