• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Southern (GTR) - Trainee Train Driver (Future vacancies) - Various depots (02/06/23)

Status
Not open for further replies.

REO Nate

Member
Joined
30 Apr 2021
Messages
278
Location
Up Front
Could it be October still, or do you reckon the October course was moved forward to September?

For a while now there has been a course every couple of months. July and September have been confirmed; so possibly another in November, but that’s only a guess.
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

rattledmyths

New Member
Joined
27 Jun 2024
Messages
2
Location
London
I am currently in the talent pool for southern, however I family live with near depots that GTR operate out of. Is it possible to be considered for these GTR depots as well, while I am waiting for Southern?
 

REO Nate

Member
Joined
30 Apr 2021
Messages
278
Location
Up Front
There was a post by Traffic71 a while back where they were offering people in the SN talent pool a TL course, so it wouldn’t hurt to email and say you are flexible to their benefit.
I am currently in the talent pool for southern, however I family live with near depots that GTR operate out of. Is it possible to be considered for these GTR depots as well, while I am waiting for Southern?
 

Sly Sloth

Member
Joined
21 Feb 2022
Messages
272
Location
Seat 1A
Hey @Sly Sloth

Just got the monthly email confirming the slots for the September course are now filled….. Any idea when the next course might be scheduled for by any chance?….
Sorry, not been on here for a while…. There’s an October course which will be 6 metro/2 coast. I’ve heard this has been mostly filled with internal candidates
 

REO Nate

Member
Joined
30 Apr 2021
Messages
278
Location
Up Front
Sorry, not been on here for a while…. There’s an October course which will be 6 metro/2 coast. I’ve heard this has been mostly filled with internal candidates

Is this additional to the course starting 16/9? Or are they one and the same?

I’ve heard similar numbers to you. I believe the two coastal are Brighton.
 

LAbirdy

Member
Joined
5 Mar 2023
Messages
14
Location
Littlehampton
Sorry, not been on here for a while…. There’s an October course which will be 6 metro/2 coast. I’ve heard this has been mostly filled with internal candidates
Thanks so much…. I’ve not had a July update (yet) but you’ve been spot on so far. Will the next course be in January ‘25 do you think?
 

REO Nate

Member
Joined
30 Apr 2021
Messages
278
Location
Up Front
Heard they may try to squeeze another intake in, in late November, but that isn’t confirmed as yet.
 

Sly Sloth

Member
Joined
21 Feb 2022
Messages
272
Location
Seat 1A
Thanks so much…. I’ve not had a July update (yet) but you’ve been spot on so far. Will the next course be in January ‘25 do you think?
There’s likely to be at least 4 courses a year for the foreseeable future as we’ve an aging workforce in the driving grade!
 

REO Nate

Member
Joined
30 Apr 2021
Messages
278
Location
Up Front
Is anyone able to advise how long the class room based driver training is? Is it 6 months?

Approximately, yes. But that is mixed in with self study days and some days out doing cab experience etc. It also covers the time needed for people to do functional skills as part of the apprenticeship (if required).
 

hydrarail

New Member
Joined
3 Sep 2024
Messages
2
Location
London
Currently sitting in the talent for southern however I may move address closer to thameslink depots. How do I get myself considered for these other depots?
 

REO Nate

Member
Joined
30 Apr 2021
Messages
278
Location
Up Front
Currently sitting in the talent for southern however I may move address closer to thameslink depots. How do I get myself considered for these other depots?

I emailed them and said I was available for other GTR TOCS if it benefited the organisation and received a reply saying they would note that on my file.
 

hydrarail

New Member
Joined
3 Sep 2024
Messages
2
Location
London
Okay that's not a bad idea. Thank you

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==

I emailed them and said I was available for other GTR TOCS if it benefited the organisation and received a reply saying they would note that on my file.
Could you give me a rough idea of what you said to them because I've emailed before but didn't hear anything back
 
Last edited:

Sly Sloth

Member
Joined
21 Feb 2022
Messages
272
Location
Seat 1A
Currently sitting in the talent for southern however I may move address closer to thameslink depots. How do I get myself considered for these other depots?
Happy to be wrong here but I don’t think they’ll allow this. However, they recently needed to fill a Thameslink course with 4 for Brighton depot and as they didn’t have a current pool for that depot they asked those in the Southern Brighton pool if they’d accept a role with TL!
 

REO Nate

Member
Joined
30 Apr 2021
Messages
278
Location
Up Front
Background checks are handled by an external company and include public searches, referencing etc.

There is a thread on medicals and what they contain at the top of the careers sub forum, but essentially it includes a full medical history, ECG, hearing, eyesight, BMI etc etc.
 
Joined
17 Aug 2022
Messages
118
Location
London
Background checks are handled by an external company and include public searches, referencing etc.

There is a thread on medicals and what they contain at the top of the careers sub forum, but essentially it includes a full medical history, ECG, hearing, eyesight, BMI etc etc.
Thank you.

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==

Hi everyone. Does anyone know how many planned courses there are this year for Southern?
 
Last edited:

Sly Sloth

Member
Joined
21 Feb 2022
Messages
272
Location
Seat 1A
Thank you.

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==

Hi everyone. Does anyone know how many planned courses there are this year for Southern?
No more this year apart from those that are already planned and allocated. I’d imagine 4/5 courses next year would run
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top