• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Southern Brighton to Victoria

Status
Not open for further replies.

lpoulter

New Member
Joined
4 Jul 2014
Messages
2
Hi the details of my journy:

Original cost of ticket £11.50(return):
Southern
Brighton to Victoria
Ticket type: Young persons

I was issued a penalty fare notice for £49.40, which I paid, for failing to present my young persons rail card at Victoria station.

I have a valid in date rail card but I forgot to bring it.

Do I have any grounds for appeal or reduced fine as I was entitled to the ticket I was travelling on.

Many Thanks.
 
Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Deerfold

Veteran Member
Joined
26 Nov 2009
Messages
13,738
Location
Yorkshire
You appear to have been charged a penalty fare for twice the Anytime single fare.

Without the railcard the discounted fare is not valid.

You can ask Southern but I'd be surprised if you get anywhere.

Unfortunately the cost of the original tickets is not relevant - some rail staff will excess up ticket to the adult fare but nowhere says they have to do this and some companies specifically tell staff not to (as otherwise people buy discounted tickets and the only penalty if inspected is paying the full fare).
 

maniacmartin

Established Member
Fares Advisor
Joined
15 May 2012
Messages
5,438
Location
Croydon
Sadly you have no right to appeal. You could write to Southern and appeal to their goodwill, but they have no obligation to refund anything to you.

The railcard has to presented during the journey not after the fact, harsh as that may seem
 

Greenback

Emeritus Moderator
Joined
9 Aug 2009
Messages
15,268
Location
Llanelli
A railcard discounted ticket is not valid unless it is presented with the appropriate railcard. As such you did not have a valid ticket and were Penalty Fared, which is the usual process where the passenger has made an honest mistake (ie left their railcard at home).

I'm sorry but you have no right of appeal. As manicamartin says you can appeal to the goodwill of the train company, but they are not obliged to do anything, as you don't really have the grounds to dispute the PF.
 

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Joined
6 Jun 2005
Messages
78,428
Location
Yorkshire
I don't know what Southern's policy is.

Some Train Companies (e.g. EMT) have a policy of providing a refund of the replacement fare, as a one-off, if proof is submitted.

XC are similar, except I'm told they will refund the original ticket.

As I don't know what Southern's policy is, there's no harm in asking them, and I'd appreciate it if you could report the results here, so we know what their policy is for future reference. It does vary by Company.

There are Southern staff on here (in a variety of roles) who might know the answer to this (and if any of you reading this do, but don't want to post it, feel free to PM me and I'll update this post accordingly).
 

island

Veteran Member
Joined
30 Dec 2010
Messages
17,913
Location
0036
You don't have a valid ground of appeal as your ticket wasn't valid without a Railcard. However you could write to Southern and ask for a refund as a gesture of goodwill as you did hold a valid Railcard at the time. You could also get the original ticket refunded assuming it was more than £10 in price and is dated less than 28 days ago.

As you paid the Penalty Fare, the matter is closed as far as Southern is concerned so you will not be at risk of prosecution or anything.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top