• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Southern 4 VEPs scrapping runs?

Status
Not open for further replies.

heart-of-wessex

Established Member
Joined
11 Jun 2005
Messages
3,087
Location
Trowbridge
Hello all,

I can find a lot of info on the Class 421/423's scrap drags from Ramsgate and Wimbledon, but not much on the Southern side of things. Where did Southern's lot go from?

Was there Class 47 scrap drags from Brighton (or any other type of loco?) or were they sent under their own power to somewhere to be towed from there?


Cheers,

James.
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Donny Dave

Established Member
Joined
9 Jul 2005
Messages
5,394
Location
Doncaster
I'm not sure if it's related, but I remember seeing a few years ago a couple of slam door sets being hauled Eastbound through Althorpe station and over Keadby Bridge by an EWS shed. Made me do a double take and have a face something like .... :shock:

I presume they were on they're way to Immingham from somewhere in the South East.
 

Boothby97

Established Member
Joined
24 Apr 2011
Messages
1,753
Location
Cleethorpes
I'm not sure if it's related, but I remember seeing a few years ago a couple of slam door sets being hauled Eastbound through Althorpe station and over Keadby Bridge by an EWS shed. Made me do a double take and have a face something like .... :shock:

I presume they were on they're way to Immingham from somewhere in the South East.

I think some Slam Door sets were cut up at Immingham Railfreight Terminal, but I'm not sure which operators stock got cut there.
Thanks, Sam
 

fgwrich

Established Member
Joined
15 Apr 2009
Messages
10,651
Location
Hampshire
In short, quite a few of them ended up all over the place. Quite a few of them ended up in Shoeburyness, Caerwent, Immingham and Eastleigh to name a few.
 

SWT158

Member
Joined
17 Aug 2011
Messages
27
is there a site where all slammers withdrawn have been logged on there last trip to the scrap man
as trying to build up history on the slammers in some form
 

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
Joined
8 Apr 2010
Messages
17,852
Location
Epsom
In short, quite a few of them ended up all over the place. Quite a few of them ended up in Shoeburyness, Caerwent, Immingham and Eastleigh to name a few.

Didn't quite a large volume end up at Beeston near Nottingham?
 

heart-of-wessex

Established Member
Joined
11 Jun 2005
Messages
3,087
Location
Trowbridge
is there a site where all slammers withdrawn have been logged on there last trip to the scrap man
as trying to build up history on the slammers in some form

Any particular TOC? You could try the Yahoo! Groups 'se-gen' as I've seen posts in there with the Class 47 or xx loco towing units to the scrap destination. As the slammer numbers are usually in the post, the date of the post will tell you what day it was too.

I just can't find anything on there to suggest where they went from Brighton. I'm guessing the last slammers went elsewhere to be stored instead..?
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top