• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Southend stations group

Status
Not open for further replies.

Barn

Established Member
Joined
3 Sep 2008
Messages
1,487
Is it possible to buy tickets to SOUTHEND STNS? I was sure that this was a station group but the ticket clerk at Fenchurch Street looked at me as if I was mad and said I'd need two singles if I wanted to return from Victoria instead of Central.

Thanks!

 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Joined
6 Jun 2005
Messages
78,463
Location
Yorkshire
Yes there is, but not from London Terminals.

Where are you travelling from?

I'll assume London as you mentioned asking at Fenchurch St.

Finsbury Park to Southend Stns is:-
£14.90 CDR (Off Peak Day Return)
£16.20 SDR (Anytime Day Return)
£20.40 SVR (Off Peak Return)

If you are travelling from somewhere else beyond London, then a ticket from elsewhere may be more suitable. You can start the Finsbury Park ticket 'short' at Fenchurch St if you are travelling from there, and end 'short' at Liverpool St (and vice-versa).
 

Aictos

Established Member
Joined
28 Apr 2009
Messages
10,403
Is it possible to buy tickets to SOUTHEND STNS? I was sure that this was a station group but the ticket clerk at Fenchurch Street looked at me as if I was mad and said I'd need two singles if I wanted to return from Victoria instead of Central.

Thanks!


Although our resident ticketing experts will be here shortly, I've taken a look at my copy of Avantix Traveller and it comes up with no valid ticket is possible from Southend Stations to Fenchurch Street BUT a single from any Southend station ie Southend Victoria, Southend East or Southend Central to Fenchurch Street are all valid.

So the ticket clerk was quite correct, hope that helps?
 

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Joined
6 Jun 2005
Messages
78,463
Location
Yorkshire
BUT a single from any Southend station ie Southend Victoria, Southend East or Southend Central to Fenchurch Street are all valid.
You can't get a ticket to a named London Terminal from any Southend Station. The ticket is to London Terminals, but a ticket from Southend Victoria will be routed ROMFORD and therefore not valid to Fenchurch St*, and priced at £13.50 for a single - ouch!

* Possibly valid via Romford/Upminster, the RG would need to be checked, but I don't think that's what the OP wants to do.
 

Barn

Established Member
Joined
3 Sep 2008
Messages
1,487
Although our resident ticketing experts will be here shortly, I've taken a look at my copy of Avantix Traveller and it comes up with no valid ticket is possible from Southend Stations to Fenchurch Street BUT a single from any Southend station ie Southend Victoria, Southend East or Southend Central to Fenchurch Street are all valid.

So the ticket clerk was quite correct, hope that helps?

Thanks both. I think I'd have been better not using my season ticket to get in to London and instead just buying a return from my local station to Southend STNS. It would have been cheaper even though it includes an extra leg!

Yes, the clerk was right that no ticket exists but I would expect her to know at least that the group exists, rather than looking at me like I was speaking Dutch!

 

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Joined
6 Jun 2005
Messages
78,463
Location
Yorkshire
Depends where your local station is, and whether or not your season ticket covers you to Fenchurch St/Liverpool St.

Yes, the clerk was right that no ticket exists but I would expect her to know at least that the group exists, rather than looking at me like I was speaking Dutch!
I agree totally, but it does not surprise me in the slightest that you got this reaction, sadly.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top