• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

SouthEastern - Stopped last August and still no outcome

Apples123

New Member
Joined
6 Oct 2025
Messages
2
Location
London
Hi All, I am not sure if anyone else is experiencing long delays. However I was stopped at London bridge barriers a year ago, with the incorrect ticket for my journey. They took my details and then wrote to me back in October last year with the generic message to ask for my version of events. I emailed back asking to settle out of court and offered to pay the fair and the administration costs. They did respond saying they would be in touch. I still had not heard anything by November, so I emailed asking for an update and they said the below:
"I apologise that we are taking longer than we had hoped to respond. We are undergoing some process changes and need to ensure that we align your case fully with these changes. This is taking longer than anticipated.

We will respond to you as soon as possible with our proposal although, given the changes, it is likely to be a number of months before we have concluded the process."


It is now a year since I was stopped, and wanted to see if anyone else had experienced the same? Also, if there is a chance they have may not come back and that is the end of the matter?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks!
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Haywain

Veteran Member
Joined
3 Feb 2013
Messages
24,773
As you haven't been contacted they are out of time to prosecute you (subject to the highly unlikely possibility that it's happened without you being aware of it), so you are effectively in the clear. It is possible they will come back to you in the future to attempt to recover the unpaid fares but that would be a civil matter and should be of much less concern as no criminal record would result. However, as you were stopped it would be important to engage with them if that happens as they would be able to present evidence to the court to demonstrate that you were stopped. If you do receive a letter from Southeastern in the future, please come back to the forum for advice.
 

Apples123

New Member
Joined
6 Oct 2025
Messages
2
Location
London
As you haven't been contacted they are out of time to prosecute you (subject to the highly unlikely possibility that it's happened without you being aware of it), so you are effectively in the clear. It is possible they will come back to you in the future to attempt to recover the unpaid fares but that would be a civil matter and should be of much less concern as no criminal record would result. However, as you were stopped it would be important to engage with them if that happens as they would be able to present evidence to the court to demonstrate that you were stopped. If you do receive a letter from Southeastern in the future, please come back to the forum for advice.
Thank you so much, I will let you know if they come back at all. Appreciate your help!
 

WesternLancer

Veteran Member
Joined
12 Apr 2019
Messages
15,281
Thank you so much, I will let you know if they come back at all. Appreciate your help!
Keep all the paperwork and your messages and their replies. And keep it for at least 6 years I’m afraid as I believe that’s effectively the time limit for civil action of the sort Haywain mentions.
 

Swedenorer

Member
Joined
28 Sep 2025
Messages
317
Location
Hants
I seem to recall someone posting a week or so ago that SE had a massive backlog they were dealing with and were miles behind. Note the post above.
 

Top