• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Southeastern Station Manager

asxleyjay

Member
Joined
16 Jun 2026
Messages
7
Location
Kent
Hi everyone!

My first post in here!

I come from an aviation background and I know a lot are now in the rail industry. I’ve been successful with Southeastern for the role of Station Manager.

Does anyone have any hints, tips or anything else they can let me know and help me to prepare for my interview a week on Friday. I’m nervous but excited as I’m so desperate to get into the industry!
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Horizon22

Established Member
Associate Staff
Jobs & Careers
Joined
8 Sep 2019
Messages
11,032
Location
London
Most questions will probably following the STAR format so look into that. Anything that you can apply from an aviation background with examples that will transfer over nicely to rail (passenger experience, safety critical roles, shift-based staff, wide area of operations) would be a plus.

You'd be a front-line manager and dealing with a whole load of different departments from rostering, projects, controllers, HR, safety teams etc. so being able to priortise and work well with other teams you don't see often will be key. Keeping on top of processes so that you have a happy but effective station team will be important.
 

asxleyjay

Member
Joined
16 Jun 2026
Messages
7
Location
Kent
Thank you, this is really helpful!

I have plenty experience that I can use and I’m familiar with the STAR method.

I need to create a presentation to pitch about supporting and leading my team to deliver the best customer service and changes they’ll go through - which I’ll be fine with but they’ve asked how they navigate to GBR.

Which I’m unsure of as I know GBR doesn’t come into affect into 2027 when it becomes its own entity and at the moment each TOC has its own values and is under DFTO.

Any ideas? How I can include it in my presentation?
 

Ellwill

Member
Joined
4 Aug 2021
Messages
158
Location
Medway
Does anyone have any hints, tips or anything else they can let me know and help me to prepare for my interview a week on Friday. I’m nervous but excited as I’m so desperate to get into the industry!
How did your interview go? Hoping for good news.
 

asxleyjay

Member
Joined
16 Jun 2026
Messages
7
Location
Kent
How did your interview go? Hoping for good news.
Hi!

The interview I feel went really well. It was a panel of four and a lot of my answers to their questions was covered in my presentation. So when we it come to the questions - I just answered in more depth and every time I answered they smiled and nodded.

The only thing is at the end one of them said “if you aren’t successful there are plenty of other roles in the organisation so don’t be disheartened and keep trying” and then someone else at the end said “Out of 180 applicants, it got whittled down, then whittled down again so to make it to the interview you should be really proud”. Which put a little doubt in my head.

I really hope I’m successful because I got a very good vibe about the company, role and the panel that interviewed me and I know I’d enjoy the job very very well.

So fingers crossed! I find out next week.
 

Top