Old Timer
Established Member
Then I suggest you contact the DfT again because they have given wrong advice.I contacted the DfT a few months ago on this issue, and they told me, quoting chapter and verse from various Regulations, that the law applied to all airlines on all flights departing from the EU, including those airlines registered outside the EU. The law itself contains a clause stating that it may not be waived by mutual agreement......
EU "Law" in terms of compensation is over and above that agreed Internationally under the Montreal Convention and it cannot unilaterally apply that requirement to non-EU registered airlines. EU "Law" has no legitimacy outside the EU, as only National Law (which occasionally mirrors EU "Law" - Greece for example has legal standards considerably lower than the EU requires) is accepted internationally.
IATA sets the International rules by which airlines operate, including those from the EU.
If you care to click on the link within the webpage you actually posted a link to itself, it clearly states this, so I am somewhat surprised at your continued argument.
The EU cannot unilaterally impose this. I should be taking some action against them myself were this illegal act to happen....If non-EU airlines don't like the law, they are free not to come here....
Any contractual terms to the contrary are automatically null and void.
Again a quote from the link you gave.
This right to compensate for flights delayed more than three hours is not set out specifically in Regulation EC261/2004, but follows a European Court of Justice ruling on the Regulation on 19 November 2009.
However, the Administrative Court of the High Court of Justice in the UK has recently ordered, on the application of a number of airlines, that questions relating to the November 2009 ruling be referred to the Court of Justice of the European Union. In doing so, it placed a stay on further court proceedings in the UK whose aim would be to try to make airlines pay compensation in line with the ruling. The stay will remain in place until the CJEU has ruled on the questions referred by the Administrative Court.
In the meantime, airlines cannot be compelled in the UK to pay compensation for delays.
For the avoidance of doubt, I travelled in excess of some 100,000 miles long-haul outside of the EU during 2010, so I think I have a little experience from which to speak.