BluePenguin
On Moderation
Hi everyone.
I am going away for the weekend to visit my friend in Nottingham. From looking at the fares yesterday evening, I realised just how severely punished I am from not booking well ahead in advance even with the help of my 16 - 25 railcard. There were some advance tickets left for £33 although as I would need two of these, there would no saving.
I am planning to leave Southampton at 15:00 today and return from Nottingham at 18:30 on Sunday.
The direct CrossCountry train appears to be the same price of £60 as going via London and catching an East Midlands from St Pancras. The £40 off peak return to Nottingham from London looked promising until I found I couldn't find a fare cheaper than £16 to get me to London and back, resulting in very little difference in price.
I have had a play around using various split ticketing websites and given suggestions to split at Derby, Leamington Spa, Birmingham Moor Street, Birmingham New Street and a few other places to save £4 which as much is lovely, is not a huge saving.
If anyone can give me any help and advice to get this £60 fare down a bit that would be great.
I know some of you on here like to keep your loop holes close to your chest, so if you would rather not share them with the world but would like to do me a favour, please send me a message. Thanks in advance!
I am going away for the weekend to visit my friend in Nottingham. From looking at the fares yesterday evening, I realised just how severely punished I am from not booking well ahead in advance even with the help of my 16 - 25 railcard. There were some advance tickets left for £33 although as I would need two of these, there would no saving.
I am planning to leave Southampton at 15:00 today and return from Nottingham at 18:30 on Sunday.
The direct CrossCountry train appears to be the same price of £60 as going via London and catching an East Midlands from St Pancras. The £40 off peak return to Nottingham from London looked promising until I found I couldn't find a fare cheaper than £16 to get me to London and back, resulting in very little difference in price.
I have had a play around using various split ticketing websites and given suggestions to split at Derby, Leamington Spa, Birmingham Moor Street, Birmingham New Street and a few other places to save £4 which as much is lovely, is not a huge saving.
If anyone can give me any help and advice to get this £60 fare down a bit that would be great.
I know some of you on here like to keep your loop holes close to your chest, so if you would rather not share them with the world but would like to do me a favour, please send me a message. Thanks in advance!