• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

South Western Railway nationalisation time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

sabanda

Member
Joined
25 May 2025
Messages
159
Location
Bournemouth
I've seen them at all stations through which I regularly travel - though admittedly they are all part of the SWR network!
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

fandroid

Established Member
Joined
9 Nov 2014
Messages
2,567
Location
Hampshire
There's been a blitz of blue and yellow signage (including painted footprints) on the SWR stations I frequent. I think they predate (just) the nationalisation.

The graphics consultant has been extremely busy in the last year, including a fantastic wall-sized aerial photo of the far western Isle of Wight, labelled "Ryde".

Methinks that Lymington Pier station is actually closer to the location shown!
 

Recessio

Established Member
Joined
4 Aug 2019
Messages
1,540
Location
London
I was on a train today and noticed the PIS still says that if I'm interested in a career at SWR that I should visit careers.firstgroup.co.uk .
 

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Joined
7 Apr 2010
Messages
34,308
I was on a train today and noticed the PIS still says that if I'm interested in a career at SWR that I should visit careers.firstgroup.co.uk .
But as was already mentioned, #237/#238, if you follow the link there are no SWR jobs there anymore, just a link to another SWR site. Altering the PIS takes time apparently as it’s a depot thing.
 

I_am_Nobody

Member
Joined
1 Dec 2024
Messages
136
Location
UK somewhere, on a train
It does. These are old units that don’t have remote access to the systems. They have to be manually updated with the new PIS update package when at depot. And the package has to be created by whomever manages the system. It’ll be a while before it’s changed!

But also… there are still SWR jobs on the old system at this time. I just found one. :D
 

Big Jumby 74

Established Member
Joined
12 Feb 2022
Messages
2,244
Location
UK
Altering the PIS takes time apparently as it’s a depot thing.
They have to be manually updated with the new PIS update package when at depot. And the package has to be created by whomever manages the system. It’ll be a while before it’s changed!
That was the case in SWT days, but wasn't sure if anything had changed since? 458's had a bespoke PIS system, which only Wimbledon depot could manage.
 

Russel

Established Member
Joined
30 Jun 2022
Messages
5,560
Location
Lichfield
Noticed at Waterloo today that announcements no longer state an operator, simply "Platform 1 for the service to", odd to hear after 30 years of privatisation.
 

Recessio

Established Member
Joined
4 Aug 2019
Messages
1,540
Location
London
Noticed at Waterloo today that announcements no longer state an operator, simply "Platform 1 for the service to", odd to hear after 30 years of privatisation.
I noticed this a while back (pre nationalisation I think). I think this is because Waterloo services are only operated by SWR and no other TOCs. Interestingly on manual announcements e.g. Delays or Alterations, the announcer still tends to say "Southwestern Railway Service to"
 

Russel

Established Member
Joined
30 Jun 2022
Messages
5,560
Location
Lichfield
Is this true in any other station?

No idea, I was only at Waterloo to use the water refill point and the toilet, that said, I was in Southampton on the 4th June and the SWR name was still being used then.

I noticed this a while back (pre nationalisation I think). I think this is because Waterloo services are only operated by SWR and no other TOCs. Interestingly on manual announcements e.g. Delays or Alterations, the announcer still tends to say "Southwestern Railway Service to"

How long has this been the case? I'm sure I recall hearing SWR mentioned in announcements last year?
 

DelW

Established Member
Joined
15 Jan 2015
Messages
6,035
Noticed at Waterloo today that announcements no longer state an operator, simply "Platform 1 for the service to", odd to hear after 30 years of privatisation.

I noticed this a while back (pre nationalisation I think). I think this is because Waterloo services are only operated by SWR and no other TOCs.

Good, it gets rid of another bit of entirely superfluous aural clutter. At stations with multiple operators, it might be beneficial to include the service operator's name, but since Eurostar left, there have only been very occasional examples of anyone other than SWT/SWR running trains from Waterloo.
 

dorsetdesiro

On Moderation
Joined
30 Oct 2017
Messages
766
Does Woking have "generic TOC-free" announcements, as it is only served by SWR like Waterloo?

I'm wondering if other single TOC served stations like Paddington, Marylebone & Fenchurch St etc don't refer to the TOC in announcements?
 

greaterwest

Established Member
Joined
23 Nov 2014
Messages
1,618
Does Woking have "generic TOC-free" announcements, as it is only served by SWR like Waterloo?

I'm wondering if other single TOC served stations like Paddington, Marylebone & Fenchurch St etc don't refer to the TOC in announcements?
No, Waterloo is the only station this happens at on SWR.
 

greaterwest

Established Member
Joined
23 Nov 2014
Messages
1,618
Worth noting Waterloo is also managed by Network Rail, not SWR.
But unlike some other NR-managed London Termini, the CIS at Waterloo is part of SWR's Worldline installation and is controlled by SWR staff.
 

vuzzeho

Member
Joined
11 Apr 2022
Messages
667
Location
London
So, C2C next:

 
Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top