• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

South West to London and back

Status
Not open for further replies.

cornishjohn

Member
Joined
1 Feb 2011
Messages
169
Hi All,

From time to time I will need to go from Plymouth to London. It will be very convenient to break the UP journey with an overnight stay in Chippenham with friends.

If I buy Anytime/Offpeak returns Plymouth-> Chippenham, and Anytime/Offpeak returns Chippenham -> London, can I use the "direct" Westbury trains to go home and skip the travelling through Chippenham bit?

Also, are there any better splits to bring the cost down?

Do not really want to be tied to Advance bookings.

Thanks,

CJ
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

mikeg

Established Member
Joined
20 Apr 2010
Messages
2,072
Location
Selby
If you split your ticket at Chippenham the train you catch on both legs MUST make a call at Chippenham. You thus cannot use the direct westbury trains on this combination. I'll have a look on brfares.com for some better splits though. What times of day are you planning of travelling?
 
Last edited:

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
Joined
4 Feb 2010
Messages
24,469
In fact, it is permitted to use trains that stop at Westbury, as Plymouth - Chippenham is valid via Castle Cary and Westbury on map SW, and Chippenham - London is valid via Westbury and Pewsey on map LA. I do not believe that any of the Plymouth - Chippenham and Chippenham - London walk-on fares have break of journey restrictions, therefore it is permitted for the OP to switch from one ticket to the other at Westbury by stopping short on one ticket and starting short on the next.

However the majority of trains that do not stop at Westbury use the avoider line rather than run through the station non-stop. In these cases (trains not stopping at Westbury), your tickets would not be valid.
 

Goatboy

Established Member
Joined
23 Jun 2011
Messages
2,274
Luckily the majority of Padd to Ply/Penzance trains will call at Westbury - though do double check first.
 

bnm

Established Member
Joined
12 Oct 2009
Messages
4,992
Luckily the majority of Padd to Ply/Penzance trains will call at Westbury - though do double check first.

It's not a majority. In the down direction there are fourteen weekday services via the Berks & Hants route to Plymouth/Penzance. Only four call at Westbury except Friday when six call. In the up direction there are twelve services of which five call at Westbury.

Additionally there are calls at Westbury for services to/from Frome, Taunton, Exeter and Paignton.

As bb21 explained the combination of tickets the OP wishes to use are fine as both tickets are valid via Westbury. But only as long as he travels on one of the minority of services that call at Westbury.
 

Goatboy

Established Member
Joined
23 Jun 2011
Messages
2,274
Is it as few as that? Blimey, I thought it was more - I always end up calling there but thinking about it it's always the same few trains I use. Figured it was due to the connections available to Portsmouth Harbour.
 

cornishjohn

Member
Joined
1 Feb 2011
Messages
169
Thanks all,

Is there any suitable excess I could get to cover the gap in the middle on a non-stopper, or would it have to be a full ticket?

mikeg: Probably late afternoon Plymouth->Chippenham, morning Chippenham-> London and evening London->Plymouth.

Thanks again
CJ
 

jkdd77

Member
Joined
16 Nov 2008
Messages
566
I know the rules on overnight BoJ are now somewhat unclear, but I wondered whether it might be possible for the OP to buy a Plymouth-London SSR and continue from Chippenham on the second day?

I guess that this might only be possible if the OP was unable to complete his journey on the first day?

I'll let others comment on the validity of the above suggestion.

If there is doubt, it might be worth the OP e-mailing FGW Customer Services, outlining his intended itinerary, and asking them whether this usage is valid on a through SSR from Plymouth; if they expressly say yes, then IMO you would be entitled to rely on that. If they say no, then there was no harm in asking and the OP can look to other options.

Another option might be to buy:
Plymouth- Taunton CDS £17.40
Taunton- Bath Spa SDS £11.70
Bath Spa- Chippenham CDS £5.10
Chippenham- London SSS £28.10 (dated for day two)
London- Plymouth SSS £51
Total: £113.30

This is slightly more expensive than a conventional split at Chippenham, but would allow the OP to travel on 'fast' trains back from London, but of course he must then travel outward via Bristol on trains stopping at Taunton and Bath Spa.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top