• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

South Pennines Day Rover.

Status
Not open for further replies.

shredder1

Established Member
Joined
23 Nov 2016
Messages
3,139
Location
North Manchester
South Pennines Day Rover. Wednesday 15th March 2017.

I decided to have a mid-week trip out and visited Leeds and the new station at Kirkstall Force, one of 3 new stations on the West Yorkshire network, returning to Leeds to take a slow train along the Dearne Valley on a Sheffield train and later returning back to Leeds and Manchester.

Driving down to the Crumpsall tram stop and taking a tram into Manchester. I caught the at 08.57 TPX from Manchester Victoria directly to Leeds. I had purchased the South Pennine Day Ranger ticket which at £15.20 with a Railcard is excellent value. I first visited the new station at Kirkstall Forge, which is probably a good location for the freight workings along this line.

I returned to Leeds and later took a slow train along the Dearne Valley line via Castleford to Sheffield. Alighting at Elsecar to visit the Elsecar Heritage Railway and catch up with any progress the railway was making since my last visit. A number of volunteers were at hand with one of the industrial diesel shunters working in the yard on PW duties, although the railway wasn’t open to the public on my visit, I was allowed to have a look around the site, the Elsecar Heritage Railway staff are very friendly and helpful and they are running a Sentinel Gala on Sunday 26th March 2017, so I`ll definitely be back for the event. For anyone who hasn’t been to the Elsecar Heritage Site, it`s well worth a visit in an area which is steeped in industrial history.

A chippie dinner at Elsecar and returning to the main line railway station to catch a train into Sheffield, I later returned to Leeds on the direct line and then caught a very crowded TPX directly back into Manchester Piccadilly with a tram ride back to the car at Crumpsall. The weather was glorious for a change with signs that the summer is on its way, an enjoyable day out.

https://www.facebook.com/nick.melli...1073742688.100001125840218&type=3&pnref=story
 
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top