• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

South Eastern Kent Lines - unusual signals perpendicular to track

Status
Not open for further replies.

Andrew S

Member
Joined
4 Aug 2018
Messages
187
Hello.

I've seen a few signals that I've wondered about for a long time so thought I'd ask here. They look like normal 3 or 4 aspect colour light signals, but point sideways, ie at right angles to the direction of normal signals. There's one at the end of one of the platforms at Charing Cross station, and another couple just south of New Cross. I think there used to be one near St Johns too.

They're all mounted on signal gantries, and appear to be properly fitted with cables, so not just spare kit left around. I've never seen any of them lit.

Does anyone know what these are for?
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

43066

Veteran Member
Joined
24 Nov 2019
Messages
12,089
Location
London
Hello.

I've seen a few signals that I've wondered about for a long time so thought I'd ask here. They look like normal 3 or 4 aspect colour light signals, but point sideways, ie at right angles to the direction of normal signals. There's one at the end of one of the platforms at Charing Cross station, and another couple just south of New Cross. I think there used to be one near St Johns too.

They're all mounted on signal gantries, and appear to be properly fitted with cables, so not just spare kit left around. I've never seen any of them lit.

Does anyone know what these are for?

Sounds like you’re describing co-acting signals, which repeat the signal aspect to drivers where the main signal is too close to the cab, or too awkwardly angled, to be easily viewable.

There’s one at Waterloo East at the country end of the down slow. I can’t say I was aware of any at Charing Cross or New Cross.
 

Andrew S

Member
Joined
4 Aug 2018
Messages
187
Sounds like you’re describing co-acting signals, which repeat the signal aspect to drivers where the main signal is too close to the cab, or too awkwardly angled, to be easily viewable.

No, they're not co-acting. They're in locations where trains wouldn't be stopped. The ones near New Cross are not actually at the station. They're quite high up too, so not visible to drivers I wouldn't think.

If I get a chance I'll try to get near enough to photograph them.
 

DA1

Member
Joined
22 May 2017
Messages
444
Location
England
Hard to understand from the description but possibly SPAD indicators? Also wasn’t aware of them being at these locations.

Edit: looking below they just look like decommissioned signal heads.
 
Last edited:

zwk500

Veteran Member
Joined
20 Jan 2020
Messages
18,647
Location
Northampton
Is this what you mean? I've got no idea what it is for, unless it's just left over from the conversion to LED signals.

EDIT: Photo of Signal L233 on the Down Fast south of New Cross, next to Thornville Street.
 

Attachments

  • 1615394832985.png
    1615394832985.png
    584.5 KB · Views: 213

43066

Veteran Member
Joined
24 Nov 2019
Messages
12,089
Location
London
No, they're not co-acting. They're in locations where trains wouldn't be stopped. The ones near New Cross are not actually at the station. They're quite high up too, so not visible to drivers I wouldn't think.

If I get a chance I'll try to get near enough to photograph them.

Is this what you mean? I've got no idea what it is for, unless it's just left over from the conversion to LED signals.

EDIT: Photo of Signal L253 on the Down Fast south of New Cross, next to Thornville Street.

Glad you posted the above - Andrew S’s last description jogged my memory of this, which I have also wondered about! I can’t shed any more light other than, as you say, an old signal head which wasn’t removed, perhaps due to awkward access to the site.

@Bald Rick might be able to shed more light.
 

Andrew S

Member
Joined
4 Aug 2018
Messages
187
That's one of them, yes!

I've got a feeling they've been around for a long time.
 

Efini92

Established Member
Joined
14 Dec 2016
Messages
2,138
Hello.

I've seen a few signals that I've wondered about for a long time so thought I'd ask here. They look like normal 3 or 4 aspect colour light signals, but point sideways, ie at right angles to the direction of normal signals. There's one at the end of one of the platforms at Charing Cross station, and another couple just south of New Cross. I think there used to be one near St Johns too.

They're all mounted on signal gantries, and appear to be properly fitted with cables, so not just spare kit left around. I've never seen any of them lit.

Does anyone know what these are for?
The one at the end of the platform will be a co-acting signal. Nottingham has one on platform 2.
not sure about the ones on plain line though.
 

Darandio

Established Member
Joined
24 Feb 2007
Messages
11,145
Location
Redcar
Is this what you mean? I've got no idea what it is for, unless it's just left over from the conversion to LED signals.

That's what it looks like to me, seems it's just a like for like replacement aspect wise. I assume it's far easier to turn it around and clamp it to part of the gantry than get it out of there completely!
 

Andrew S

Member
Joined
4 Aug 2018
Messages
187
The one at the end of the platform will be a co-acting signal. Nottingham has one on platform 2.
not sure about the ones on plain line though.

No, they're not co-acting signals.

That's what it looks like to me, seems it's just a like for like replacement aspect wise. I assume it's far easier to turn it around and clamp it to part of the gantry than get it out of there completely!

That makes sense. I guess they are all in slightly difficult places to access.
 

westcoaster

Established Member
Joined
4 Dec 2006
Messages
4,514
Location
DTOS A or B
Normally left in situ for a while after conversion to a LED signal, incase of any issues it can be quickly swapped back over.
 

43066

Veteran Member
Joined
24 Nov 2019
Messages
12,089
Location
London
Normally left in situ for a while after conversion to a LED signal, incase of any issues it can be quickly swapped back over.

In this case they have been left for several years. Most likely because the location concerned is confined and awkward to access.
 

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
Joined
28 Sep 2010
Messages
35,965
Thanks. That makes sense. It just seems an odd coincidence that there were a few on one route, and I've never seen any elsewhere.

It was all resignalled last year. Don’t know why they were left behind.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top