• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

South eastern, fair evasion. Asking for advice

Status
Not open for further replies.

Howiee

Member
Joined
1 Feb 2025
Messages
5
Location
kent
Dear Rail Forum, (Repost)

Any help for my ticket evasion case would be greatly appreciated

I have recently been caught for fare evasion by south eastern rail. This is my first time doing so.

I travelled from Hildenborough station to London Cannon Street. I forgot to buy a ticket in the morning and remembered Whilst on the train at London Bridge, I then had the stupid idea of buying a single ticket from London Bridge to Cannon Street.

When trying to go through the barriers my ticket flagged and was asked by the barrier memeber where I came from. I panicked and lied x2 and said London Bridge before being pulled to one side. Another man took a statement and I admitted to what I did, complying with all questions honestly, telling him that I was sorry and that I evaded the fair (and that this was my first time doing so). I now have a letter through asking for a statement. I’m extremely worried about being prosecuted and loosing my job/anything that could come from a court hearing as it’s clear I’m in the wrong.

I buy my tickets on Trainline each morning and my history shows this is the first time I’ve done this since moving to the area. Also, since the incident, Trainline history can show I’ve paid the full fair each time since (and after a single back after the incident).

I’m very worried about being prosecuted or having a criminal record as this will Impact my job.

it’s also worth noting that my Trainline history will very occasionally show tickets from Sevenoaks (one station up from hilden). This only when I’ve missed a train from hilden or I’ve got an earlier train (being driven by my partner who works at home).

i would welcome any out of court settlement they offer and would greatly appreciate any help on how to best approach the situation, and if I should get legal help.

many thanks in advance.
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

jfollows

Established Member
Joined
26 Feb 2011
Messages
10,138
Location
Wilmslow
Hello and welcome to the forum.

You should respond honestly, of course, but acknowledge your actions, that you understand the implications, their seriousness, and you won’t do it again. You should offer to pay their costs plus fares avoided - which should just be the one case as you say.
If they agree, and they usually do, you can settle this with a payment and you will not get taken to court or receive a criminal record.

You will probably get better free advice here than you will get from paid legal advice. My opinion and your choice.
 

30907

Veteran Member
Joined
30 Sep 2012
Messages
21,973
Location
Airedale
Wait for the letter to arrive, then ask for advice here before replying.

If this is a one-off, it should be straightforward provided you engage with them.

I would be surprised if they even queried Sevenoaks.
 

Howiee

Member
Joined
1 Feb 2025
Messages
5
Location
kent
thank you both for your advise.

The letter has arrived. I’m quite worried as they’re “reviewing my case and may consider prosecution”. Does this mean I’m more likely to go to court?
 

Attachments

  • 219a18bb-ec54-4249-b514-4187495cbfe9.jpeg
    219a18bb-ec54-4249-b514-4187495cbfe9.jpeg
    180.3 KB · Views: 68
  • 16a992bb-65df-4bdc-ad08-aef3abbef706.jpeg
    16a992bb-65df-4bdc-ad08-aef3abbef706.jpeg
    147.3 KB · Views: 64

jfollows

Established Member
Joined
26 Feb 2011
Messages
10,138
Location
Wilmslow
thank you both for your advise.

The letter has arrived. I’m quite worried as they’re “reviewing my case and may consider prosecution”. Does this mean I’m more likely to go to court?
You’re only likely to go to court if you don’t engage with them.

So, as per my post 2 above, and other examples here, be honest and explain your actions and that you now understand and won’t do it again.

And you will pay their costs if they will settle out of court.

They would prefer to save their expense by this, they only want to take you to court as a last resort.
 

John R

Established Member
Joined
1 Jul 2013
Messages
6,130
One thing to bear in mind is that you committed an offence once you set foot on the train without a ticket, even before the attempt to short fare. And if you do so again you run the risk of coming to their attention again, even if it was unintentional.

Assuming you are able to negotiate a settlement this time, you might not be so lucky if stopped a second time, as it would look as though you havent learnt your lesson. So you need to make sure you either buy a ticket at the station, or have definitely completed an online purchase before boarding.
 

Snow1964

Established Member
Joined
7 Oct 2019
Messages
11,200
Location
West Wiltshire
Don't panic at the reviewing my case wording. Letters tend to be standard format and often cover lots of possible options.

It is now your chance to be honest and apologise, accept you made bad decision at the time, and show how you have learnt your lesson, and would like to close the matter by paying the fare and reasonable cost of dealing with it.

I do not know how often you travel, so don't know if season ticket makes sense, but if having moved you now have a season ticket then say so as evidence that you have changed so won't happen again. But remember to renew it on expiry as your name will be flagged (if you get a settlement) and if you come to their attention a second time, expect lot worse.
 

Howiee

Member
Joined
1 Feb 2025
Messages
5
Location
kent
Thanks again for all your replies and help with this.
If anyone could have a read over my response and let me know if I can make any improvements I would be greatly appreciative


++++START+++
Dear South Eastern Railway,


Thank you for reaching out and giving me the opportunity to firstly apologise and explain what has happened.

I would firstly like to convey my sincere apologies for my actions, I’m not entirely sure what came over me that morning to make the decision I did, but I’ve been anxious and in regret since considering my actions.

On the 28th of January I made my first and last error of judgement by not buying a valid ticket. I travelled to work from Hildenborough to London Cannon Street, as the train pulled into London Bridge, I released I had forgot to buy my train ticket. In a panic I made an idiotic and careless error of purchasing a single ticket from London Bridge to London Cannon Street. I attempted to pass through the barriers, where I was stopped by a staff member and questioned about my ticket, another member of staff took me aside for further questioning.

Since the incident I have felt awful and deeply regret my actions, I guarantee that this will never happen again. I can see how foolish & irresponsible my behaviour was Causing unnecessary disruption to South Eastern Railway’s staff and administration time. I would be extremely grateful for the opportunity to settle this matter out of court. I am more than willing to cover any additional costs I’ve caused your organisation and fully compensate the fare, and any penalties which should be given for my actions.

I can say with certainty that this is a lesson learnt and I will never attempt to do this again, I hope you can already see that my trainline history before and after the event reflects this. (For context, I moved back to Kent on the 14th of December, prior to this trips down were to visit friends and family, as I previously lived in Clapham)

Thank you again for your time and consideration on this matter.



Best regards
 
Last edited:

island

Veteran Member
Joined
30 Dec 2010
Messages
17,913
Location
0036
Your letter was received from a Mr. G R Wills, so your reply is addressed "Dear Mr. Wills", not "Dear South Eastern Railway". A formal letter addressed to a named person is signed off "Yours sincerely" not "Best regards". "Reaching out" is an Americanism and to be avoided. "Southeastern" is one word and they do not write Railway after their brand. Southeastern don't care about you moving house and won't look at your Trainline history.
 

Howiee

Member
Joined
1 Feb 2025
Messages
5
Location
kent
Thank you for your comment. I’ve streamlined and hope this show my sincerity ensuring I won’t do this again.

Again if there’s any further feedback/help I would be very greatful


+++++


Dear Mr G R Wills,

Firstly, Please accept my sincere apologies for my actions as detail below.

On the 28th of January I made a serious error of judgement by not purchasing a valid ticket for my journey from Hildenborough to London Cannon Street. As the train pulled into London Bridge I released I had forgotten to buy my ticket. In a moment of poor judgement I purchased a single ticket from London Bridge to London Cannon Street, hoping to resolve the issue. I then attempted to pass through the barriers, where I was stopped by a staff member and questioned about my ticket, another member of staff took me aside for further questioning.

I deeply regret my decision that day, and now fully understand the seriousness of what I did. I apologies for disrupting yours and Southeastern’s time and resources. Please be assured that I will never do this again.

I hope you can see via my Trainline history, both before and after the event my usual commitment to buying a full fare. I assure you this will be the last time I conduct myself in this way.

I would be extremely grateful for the opportunity to resolve this matter without the need of going to court, and I am more than willing to cover any additional costs I have caused your organisation and fully compensate the outstanding fare and any associated costs involved.

Once again I am deeply sorry.

Yours sincerely
 

Howiee

Member
Joined
1 Feb 2025
Messages
5
Location
kent
Thank you.

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==

Reading some of the other forums, some members say to directly ask for an out of court settlement rather request.

Eg
Please can you send me an out of court settlement

Rather than I would be greatful for the opportunity to have an out of court settlement
 
Last edited:

AlterEgo

Verified Rep - Wingin' It! Paul Lucas
Joined
30 Dec 2008
Messages
29,547
Location
LBK
Thank you.

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==

Reading some of the other forums, some members say to directly ask for an out of court settlement rather request.

Eg
Please can you send me an out of court settlement

Rather than I would be greatful for the opportunity to have an out of court settlement
That's very presumptive and sounds like it comes from Reddit, which, with great respect, is not exactly brimming with knowledge.

You should respectfully ask for the matter to be settled out of court, not demand it - it's not your choice, because, to be frank, you committed a crime and fiddled them out of money.
 

island

Veteran Member
Joined
30 Dec 2010
Messages
17,913
Location
0036
That's very presumptive and sounds like it comes from Reddit, which, with great respect, is not exactly brimming with knowledge.

You should respectfully ask for the matter to be settled out of court, not demand it - it's not your choice, because, to be frank, you committed a crime and fiddled them out of money.
Indeed. An appropriate phrasing might be

"I would be grateful if you would offer me the opportunity to settle this matter without going to court by settling the unpaid fare and your costs."
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top