• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

South Devon Railway Diesel Gala 2008

Status
Not open for further replies.

37412

Established Member
Joined
5 Dec 2007
Messages
1,253
Deltics are often referred to as Lawnmowers, due to the fact they are 2-stroke.

Have never heard of a Deltic referred yo as a lawnmower, they were always known as 'U-Boats', lawnmowers was the name attached to the class 52 'Westerns' due to their sound.
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

EE Type 3

Established Member
Joined
23 Mar 2006
Messages
1,785
Location
Llangollen MPD
Have never heard of a Deltic referred yo as a lawnmower, they were always known as 'U-Boats', lawnmowers was the name attached to the class 52 'Westerns' due to their sound.

That's one of the more recent names, and I've also heard someone call a Western a Cappunchino Machine.

Dave
 

37412

Established Member
Joined
5 Dec 2007
Messages
1,253
That's one of the more recent names, and I've also heard someone call a Western a Cappunchino Machine.

Dave

If you are referring to 'U-Boat as a recent name for a Deltic it's been around now since I have 8)

Think I have heard that before, it's due to the sound and i can see why a bit, not a fan of anything hydraulic myself, like big EE's (37's, 40's, 50's) and small sulzers (24's, 25's, 26's, 27's 33's) but small EE machines like 20's live up to their nickname 'migranes' while 31's have a problem going at something called speed (where are those traction motors) and 45/47 piffle, just don't go there....
 

87015

Established Member
Joined
3 Mar 2006
Messages
5,078
Location
GEML/WCML/SR
If you are referring to 'U-Boat as a recent name for a Deltic it's been around now since I have 8)
Boats IIRC is from the Napier engines which are also used in marine things such as boats! Was quite impressed with 55009 on Friday night up the bank out of Grosmont :smile:
I'm easily swayed me!!
 

EE Type 3

Established Member
Joined
23 Mar 2006
Messages
1,785
Location
Llangollen MPD
I was referring to the Lawnmower nickname Mr412 :)

Oh trust me, I'll go for English Electric or Sulzer anyday 8-)

Or Ruston and Mirlees ;)
 

Galvanize

Member
Joined
8 Jun 2005
Messages
1,129
Location
South East london
If you are referring to 'U-Boat as a recent name for a Deltic it's been around now since I have 8)

Think I have heard that before, it's due to the sound and i can see why a bit, not a fan of anything hydraulic myself, like big EE's (37's, 40's, 50's) and small sulzers (24's, 25's, 26's, 27's 33's) but small EE machines like 20's live up to their nickname 'migranes' while 31's have a problem going at something called speed (where are those traction motors) and 45/47 piffle, just don't go there....

I like the "De-Caff expresso machines", Westerns and Hymeks. Only problem with the Westerns is that they're too claggy, after doing the Western Refiner Tour back in October 2007, my eyes were hurting for ages the next day, with bits of clag particles :|
Big EE, the 37s and 40s i agree there, But i also like the smaller EE stuff too.
Small Sulzers....27s and 33s do it best for me, not keen on the Peaks at all, 47s are OK in most circumstances.
 

devon_metro

Established Member
Joined
11 Oct 2005
Messages
7,715
Location
London
Just to let people know that they last running of 31108 should be on 31st May, special trips are planned if anyone needs some thrash :p
 

37412

Established Member
Joined
5 Dec 2007
Messages
1,253
Hardly digging, just excavating :-P




Quite hellfire it was :D

Still deciding whether to do that or get a two day rover for the Churnet and 075, or theres always the tour to that Ffestiningog place 8)
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top