• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Sock recommendations for safety footwear

Status
Not open for further replies.

NeoNeko

Member
Joined
27 Aug 2024
Messages
86
Location
Kent
This is my first time wearing safety footwear, and I'm struggling a bit with finding comfortable socks. Normal socks are a bit too thin; I've tried hiking socks, but they feel a bit too thick, and I tried some Under Armour sport socks that I saw recommended, but the seams in the toes are too thick to wear with safety footwear and feel comfortable. Before I go buying random socks everywhere, are there any particular socks any of you have tried or wear regularly that you've found to be comfy and long-lasting? Thanks!
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

_toommm_

Established Member
Joined
8 Jul 2017
Messages
6,305
Location
South West London
I used to wear steel-toe boots at a job (albeit not rail-related). I'd go half a size up and wear thick hiking socks so might be worth going that small half-size up if possible. It made them really comfy, I'd walk the two miles to work and two miles back in them aswell.
 

thejuggler

Established Member
Joined
8 Jan 2016
Messages
1,652
My go to socks are Bridgedales. They do lots of different types and weights. Not cheap, but you can sometimes find them in TKMaxx with decent reductions. Darntough are a similar US brand, but again not cheap.
 

AndrewE

Established Member
Joined
9 Nov 2015
Messages
7,360
When I started wearing walking boots (1960s!) it was the norm to wear 2 pairs of socks, which seems to have gone out of fashion. The logic seemed (to me) to be that the inner pair could be adjusted to match the weather (long or short, thick or thin) and the outer pair were solid and robust, maybe quite harsh wool - but wear resistant and didn't get wrecked by friction from the boots.

It means that the inner pair move with your feet giving no friction or discomfort, the outer pair move with the boot and do you no harm, which they might if your skin was in contact with them. I still do this, even with moderately heavy walking shoes and I am sure it would make wearing over-heavy safety footwear more comfortable. The extra insulation also pays dividends if you are standing round on station platforms when changing trains or waiting for a bus...
 

MicroLithium

Member
Joined
30 Jul 2024
Messages
109
Location
UK
Darntough are a similar US brand, but again not cheap
I second Darn Tough, especially for the warranty. Wear out your socks, send them some photos, free new pair of socks. I must have had half a dozen replacements. Last socks you’ll ever buy!
 

Galleon

Member
Joined
1 Sep 2023
Messages
12
Location
East London
I second Darn Tough, especially for the warranty. Wear out your socks, send them some photos, free new pair of socks. I must have had half a dozen replacements. Last socks you’ll ever buy!

Another vote for Darn Tough. Unbeatable, warm in winter but not sweaty in summer.
 

NorthernTech

Member
Joined
12 Apr 2021
Messages
744
Location
Uk
Must be an individual thing. I have heavy steel toe cap boots issued and wear super-thin socks from Next, no issues whatsoever. Often run to catch trains, walk quite a fair bit as I don’t drive to the station mainly, all ok. Only thing to consider is just the breaking in phase I suppose. Everyone will be a bit different here, and likely dependant on what brand the boots supplied are. They may just be awful boots and the reason why many opt to buy their own.
 

Undiscovered

Member
Joined
28 Jan 2013
Messages
554
I wear steel toed boots for a good 12hrs a day, working trains, and I wear Karrimoor medium weight hiking socks, from Sports Direct. Hard-wearing and moisture wicking, keep my feet fresh too.
 

Amos

Member
Joined
24 Jul 2022
Messages
228
Location
Milton Keynes
I wear a pair of normal socks,followed by a pair of sea boot socks,but you may also find this a little bit thick.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top