I titled this quite poorly, but couldn't think of anything better.
What does everyone thing about the 'always connected' nature of lives now? I just needed to explain myself to someone who thought I was ignoring them because I didn't reply to their Facebook messages all of yesterday. It got me thinking about how expectations have changed for a lot of people and it's much harder to 'switch off' because people expect you to be always available, all the time.
I find myself increasingly frustrated that, while being by no means more popular than average socially, day to day I'm interrupted by messages. And then I feel guilty if I don't reply quickly. I work 12 hour shifts in a job where people are constantly demanding my attention, so time to myself is something I value, which is what I try to explain to people.
It just seems like some people can't understand someone needing to be 'off the grid'.
How does everyone else feel about this? Does anyone else feel like this? Is this continuous availability a benefit to our lives or a bit of a curse?
What does everyone thing about the 'always connected' nature of lives now? I just needed to explain myself to someone who thought I was ignoring them because I didn't reply to their Facebook messages all of yesterday. It got me thinking about how expectations have changed for a lot of people and it's much harder to 'switch off' because people expect you to be always available, all the time.
I find myself increasingly frustrated that, while being by no means more popular than average socially, day to day I'm interrupted by messages. And then I feel guilty if I don't reply quickly. I work 12 hour shifts in a job where people are constantly demanding my attention, so time to myself is something I value, which is what I try to explain to people.
It just seems like some people can't understand someone needing to be 'off the grid'.
How does everyone else feel about this? Does anyone else feel like this? Is this continuous availability a benefit to our lives or a bit of a curse?