• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

So how many stations *are* there in the UK?

Status
Not open for further replies.

hexagon789

Veteran Member
Joined
2 Sep 2016
Messages
18,328
Location
Glasgow
There are 83 heritage/preserved railway railway stations in Great Britain and 5 in Northern Ireland, so 88 in the whole of the UK.
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
Joined
16 May 2010
Messages
12,856
There are 83 heritage/preserved railway railway stations in Great Britain and 5 in Northern Ireland, so 88 in the whole of the UK.

Do you have a source for that, or a clarification of the parameters used? If we are going off any form of preserved, heritage or tourist railway then there's a lot more than 83 stations!
 

Deerfold

Veteran Member
Joined
26 Nov 2009
Messages
13,765
Location
Yorkshire
Wow, so I was quite a way out there- a whole order of magnitude in fact.

As the old cliche goes, you learn something new everyday.

And today you could learn the difference between "everyday" and "every day". Although everyday is a word, it doesn't make sense in that sentence, though it is an increasingly common error.

<D
 

kevjs

Member
Joined
4 Sep 2013
Messages
469
Those in the centre are. Some of the others are (IMHO) more like unmanned stations. But it's certainly a grey area, and there are probably a lot more than 50 shades between the simple flag at the side of the road and something with ticket machines, shelters, platforms and information displays. I think either the Clifton or Toton terminus on NET (maybe both?) has toilets and a kiosk selling newspapers etc.

Station Street (Disused) and Nottingham Station are arguably more substantial too - but then again both could count as part of the train station itself, and IIRC doesn't Hucknall share the same platform as National Rail (opposite sides obviously).

"ticket machines, shelters, platforms and information displays." - I think all of Nottingham's have those, plus customer service points too - and cycle parking at a fair few of them as well.
 

Comstock

Member
Joined
19 Jun 2012
Messages
535
And today you could learn the difference between "everyday" and "every day". Although everyday is a word, it doesn't make sense in that sentence, though it is an increasingly common error.

<D

Jeez. I obviously didn't press the space bar down hard enough, and because "everyday" is a word my browser didn't highlight it. Hardly the crime of the century.

These are contributions to a bulletin board, not university final papers. Whilst I take reasonable care to spell stuff properly and use correct grammar, I'm not going to triple proof read everything as you would for a dissertation or job application.

(sorry to rant, and thanks to everyone else for their replies)
 

bluenoxid

Established Member
Joined
9 Feb 2008
Messages
2,663
Do you have a source for that, or a clarification of the parameters used? If we are going off any form of preserved, heritage or tourist railway then there's a lot more than 83 stations!

I agree. That seems low

KWVR is five plus Keighley
Embsay is three (I think)
Middleton is two
ELR is seven IIRC (they have just opened one as well)
NRM, Locomotion and MOSI Manchester all have platforms for short runs.

There are plenty more to go at
 

Deerfold

Veteran Member
Joined
26 Nov 2009
Messages
13,765
Location
Yorkshire
Jeez. I obviously didn't press the space bar down hard enough, and because "everyday" is a word my browser didn't highlight it. Hardly the crime of the century.

These are contributions to a bulletin board, not university final papers. Whilst I take reasonable care to spell stuff properly and use correct grammar, I'm not going to triple proof read everything as you would for a dissertation or job application.

(sorry to rant, and thanks to everyone else for their replies)

Sorry, I was trying to help with your aim to learn something new every day. I'd hoped that with the smiley I added you'd take it in the light hearted sense it was meant.
 

greatkingrat

Established Member
Joined
20 Jan 2011
Messages
3,312
Do you have a source for that, or a clarification of the parameters used? If we are going off any form of preserved, heritage or tourist railway then there's a lot more than 83 stations!

I think he means there are 83 heritage railways in the UK, not 83 stations. That sounds about right if you are only counting standard gauge railways.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top