• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Snowdon Mountain Railway

Status
Not open for further replies.

xc170

Member
Joined
9 Feb 2008
Messages
815
Been on my list for a couple of years, so thinking of doing the SMR in May, anyone been, got any tips/advise?

Any rough guesses as to how busy it will be in May?

Slightly disappointing that you only get 30 minutes at the summit, considering it's £37 a ticket....
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

ChiefPlanner

Established Member
Joined
6 Sep 2011
Messages
8,344
Location
Herts
No guarantee of a steam engine either , + if there are (in their views) not enough passengers , the train does not run.

Finally - take your own food - admittedly there is now a new summit building - but the choice of food and prices make Switzerland seem an absolute bargain. Not a fan as you can see. (I walk up and back)

Might be worth a look on Tripadvisor as I may be a little scathing
 

Waldgrun

Member
Joined
13 Oct 2011
Messages
306
I agree with ChiefPlanner take a look at Tripadvisor! You may also need to advance book,I get the impression that the Coaches used on the steam services are more comfortable than those used on the Diesel services. Although in my mind the best vehicles that used on the railway where the 3 railcars supplied by H.P.E. nice amount of room in those, sadly no longer in service!
I have just found this http://www.snowdonrailway.co.uk/pages/fabulous-trains and |I would think it worth looking at.
 
Last edited:

ChiefPlanner

Established Member
Joined
6 Sep 2011
Messages
8,344
Location
Herts
Just had a quick look - my comments seem to be supported. They only run a train if they have 20 passengers.

Unacceptable in my view , as the train crew presumably just sit it out somewhere.

Walk up the Rhyd DDu path - I am almost 60 and can manage it with no issues.
 

Alistair G.

Member
Joined
16 Jun 2013
Messages
355
Location
Leicester
If it's a trip you really wanna do then I say go for it.

I agree with all the comments above that it is unfair that they can just cancel services with no prior notice, wales is a long way to travel to then not get the train!

I personally walk up and back down and I take the llanberis path. Fantastic views of lots of scenery but there are parts where the railway crosses over the path so you can get some lovely pictures and videos (I have done so many times)

The great thing about llanberis path is that there is "halfway house" and whilst a little pricy, has got facilities for hot drinks, food and toilets (for customers!)

There are "stations" along the line as well, in unsure if these are passing points or where people can alight, but one things for sure.... split ticketing is unavailable!!
 

ChiefPlanner

Established Member
Joined
6 Sep 2011
Messages
8,344
Location
Herts
My view is that you cannot beat the Welsh Highland - with a fine pub at Rhyd Ddu for a decent range of food and beer....and no issues with "restrictions" ...
 

D841 Roebuck

Established Member
Joined
16 Mar 2012
Messages
2,131
Location
Rochdale
I went years ago. Pricy, but an excellent ride, with most enjoyable noise from the engine (steam #4, "Snowdon" for anyone interested). Then ambled up to the summit for the view, which was excellent, but a bit hazy on the day.

This was in late August, and we didn't book in advance, so the first train we could get was the 14:00 - but Llanberis is a pleasant little town to hang around in - I recall arty crafty shops and a very good pub lunch.
 

gazthomas

Established Member
Joined
5 Jun 2011
Messages
3,466
Location
Llandudno
Yes, a mortgage is required but supply often exceeds demand. Early trains can be cheaper.

If you are fit and you have time. I did the Llanberis path recently in about 3 hours return with a break at the top. I started early to avoid it turning into the “motorway”. 30 minutes at the top is plenty if it is windy and/or cloudy. I’ve walked up a few times and it has been both! It changes so quickly
 

xc170

Member
Joined
9 Feb 2008
Messages
815
The trip advisor reviews seem to back up what I've read and heard elsewhere.

I've walked up Snowdon in the past using the Pyg Track from Pen Y Pass, so have no problem walking, just always fancied doing the Snowdon mountain railway.

Looking at some of the photos of the modern coached they use, the words 'crush loaded' spring to mind, still, it'll be an experience!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top