Spot on, when I'm driving in adverse weather, leaf fall etc the more coaches the better as far as I'm concerned.
GWR trains are running, albeit with delays and cancellations - but the rail replacement buses in connection with the Swindon blockade are currently suspended (Sunday 18th).
SDO on the 377s, I travelled down that line on Wednesday and saw the signs.The additional coaches on the Tonbridge route - how will this work with platforms en route being four car lengths only? Will doors be isolated? It remains to be seen whether 377s will be more "resilient" than 313s, but my experience of 377s is that they sit down at the first sign of snow and ice!
I was on the first Hope Valley stopper from Manchester at 07.44 this morning. I wouldn't normally travel on this but the first TPE to Cleethorpes at 08.17 was cancelled.
It got as far as Chinley but couldn't proceed any further and after much hanging around, it was turned back to Manchester, arriving at 10.00.
While we stood at Chinley, a westbound TPE service passed through so obviously the Down line was not blocked.
Back in Manchester, I got the 10.14 TPE Cleethorpes service which was diverted via Huddersfield and Wakefield, arriving in Sheffield at 12.00.
I was surprised to see that TPE crews sign for the section between Wakefield, Hare Park, Moorthorpe and Swinton, which I didn't know was within their sphere of operation?
I was on the first Hope Valley stopper from Manchester at 07.44 this morning. I wouldn't normally travel on this but the first TPE to Cleethorpes at 08.17 was cancelled.
It got as far as Chinley but couldn't proceed any further and after much hanging around, it was turned back to Manchester, arriving at 10.00.
While we stood at Chinley, a westbound TPE service passed through so obviously the Down line was not blocked.
Back in Manchester, I got the 10.14 TPE Cleethorpes service which was diverted via Huddersfield and Wakefield, arriving in Sheffield at 12.00.
I was surprised to see that TPE crews sign for the section between Wakefield, Hare Park, Moorthorpe and Swinton, which I didn't know was within their sphere of operation?
I lived in Eltham, S.E. London. My father went off to work as normal on Southern Electric from Eltham Park: I can't absolutely say this far from the event that he managed that every day, but I don't recollect him being at home. For me, at secondary school in Catford, there was a period of up to two weeks when either no buses ran on the route I used or, possibly, the school was closed, although it was a 'no nonsense' school so the latter was less likely. The winter of 61/62, incidentally, though not as longlasting as 62/63 was also bad. Smog was a huge problem in London still then, and one I remember more than the snow: on one occasion the bus conductor walked in front of the bus with a flare for two or three miles on the way home. There was never an occasion when not going to school was allowable in the smog, even if you got there at 11 a.m.One for the more mature members. When I was a lad and we had a winter in 79 my Dad said that was nothing compared to 63. Back in 79 I can’t remember too much extra disruption but then BR wasn’t great in those days anyway. How was it in 63? Did everyone stay at home for 3 months? Or are we all just getting soft?
I think there’s a few ECS and late night Leeds-Hudds pathed via Kirgate for route knowledge purposes.. did you reverse at Kirgate or go Hudds-Dewsbury-Woodlesford?
I think there’s a few ECS and late night Leeds-Hudds pathed via Kirgate for route knowledge purposes.. did you reverse at Kirgate or go Hudds-Dewsbury-Woodlesford?
Issues with tunnel ice one gathers - not surprising - good that NR are looking out for these things as they can be very destructive.Hazel Grove/ Buxton still blocked. Snow plough ran one way towards Buxton, but did not return. From Buxton went on freight lines to Chinley and back to Crewe
In Beeching days the argument in appeals against line closure was often that the train would always get through when th roads might be closed - Whitby escaped on that basis but Alston did not.
One for the more mature members. When I was a lad and we had a winter in 79 my Dad said that was nothing compared to 63. Back in 79 I can’t remember too much extra disruption but then BR wasn’t great in those days anyway. How was it in 63? Did everyone stay at home for 3 months? Or are we all just getting soft?
Public transport can , and does work. Wonder why Heathrow dropped the ball.
Thanks for that - appreciate now how tight it all is out there - to be fair , Luton did well airport wise with the week long freeze recently - it ran late , but pretty well everything ran ! Fair play ....Having spent 40 years working at airports (but not Heathrow), the problem Heathrow has is that it is at capacity all day and any even minor disruption causes problems and delays. In snow, they have to clear not only the runways but taxiways and apron areas which is quite some job. In addition aircraft must be de-iced on stands before departure which increases the dwell times, so you get aircraft landing which have nowhere to park and taxiway congestion and gridlock quickly ensues. All this causes knock on delays and so it goes on all day. In thick fog the landing rate is halved for safety reasons as you need to leave much bigger gaps between arrivals to allow the aircraft to manoeuvre off the runway having done an automatic landing.
So Heathrow now has a policy of demanding airlines cancel a proportion flights in advance to minimise the disruption to the other flights. These are often short haul flights and particularly domestic flights where people can get to their destinations by train or coach. Heathrow - Manchester flights are always affected by this and many frequent fliers up here will now avoid Heathrow, changing instead elsewhere in Europe or the Middle East if there are no direct flights.
Hope this helps
CW
Buxton was also in this category; the train being the only lifeline during heavy snow. Not today as we have read earlier.
If the date is correct, I am surprised they repeated the jet experiment of 1947/48 where the jet not only removed the snow, but a good chunk of the perway as well.A few years ago I bought a copy of British Railways Illustrated, which covered an interesting experiment in the Buxton area in the 1960s. Essentially, somebody in BR at Derby got talking to somebody in Rolls Royce, and the end result was a RR jet engine mounted on a flat wagon as an improvised snow blower, with two 8Fs pushing against the jet to keep it in place!
If the date is correct, I am surprised they repeated the jet experiment of 1947/48 where the jet not only removed the snow, but a good chunk of the perway as well.
Apparently the leading locomotive suffered damage to windscreen and roof from impact with icicles, hence thr return via Peak Forest. Engineering possession put in place to allow manual removal of icicles.Hazel Grove/ Buxton still blocked. Snow plough ran one way towards Buxton, but did not return. From Buxton went on freight lines to Chinley and back to Crewe