• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Smallest and Least used stations in the UK

Status
Not open for further replies.

4SRKT

Established Member
Joined
9 Jan 2009
Messages
4,409
I've said it before, possibly even earlier on this thread, that I happened to catch the train that stopped at Teesside Airport one Saturday (and it was before they increased the service to one in each direction) and about six people, in three separate groups were actually waiting to get on.

Did they look like they'd been waiting long?
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

trickyvegas

Member
Joined
10 Dec 2009
Messages
362
Middlewood, on the Manchester Picadilly-Buxton line. Although plenty of trains stop there, I seldom see anyone get on or off there, it is literally in the middle of a wood and with at least a mile walk by foot to the nearest road.
 

Lampshade

Established Member
Joined
3 Sep 2009
Messages
3,778
Location
South London
Middlewood used to have two stations :shock:

I've seen people get on/off there and it's quite heavily used compared with other small stations - but one has to wonder where they've come from/intend to go.
 

4SRKT

Established Member
Joined
9 Jan 2009
Messages
4,409
There's always Corrour, which is celebrated for having no road access and no people living anywhere near it. The population of the postcode area PA34 (Corrour) in the 2001 census was 9. This covers an area slightly larger than the city of Bradford, including its outlying villages!
 

DaveNewcastle

Established Member
Joined
21 Dec 2007
Messages
7,387
Location
Newcastle (unless I'm out)
There's always Corrour, which is celebrated for having no road access and no people living anywhere near it. The population of the postcode area PA34 (Corrour) in the 2001 census was 9. This covers an area slightly larger than the city of Bradford, including its outlying villages!
Maybe, but its NOT the quiet station you might expect. It gets about 9,000 pax a year.
As I posted the last time it came up, the odd thing about Corrour is that about 5,000 get off there, but only 4,000 get on again!
(We can only guess that the "missing" travellers are walkers, who walk down to Rannoch)
 

jopsuk

Veteran Member
Joined
13 May 2008
Messages
12,774
Angel Road is a bit of an odd one- it's in the midst of a large industrial and retail area, yet is hamstrung by truly, truly awful access and a weirdly abysmal service - especially to the stations further up the Lee Valley. It wouldn't, for example, take much to connect it by foot to Ikea and Tesco, but I dare you to make that journey as it is now and survive!
 

142094

Established Member
Joined
7 Nov 2009
Messages
8,789
Location
Newcastle
Did they look like they'd been waiting long?

I think the people that went there on that trip got shown around the airport by the manager. IIRC there used to be a shuttle bus from the station to the airport but this was taken out of service some years ago and replaced by a coach from Darlington instead. So Northern just run the Parliamentary train on a Saturday. I think the wait between trains is around 4 hours unless it changed with the new timetable change. I'd quite like to get a ticket to/from there for my collection but sitting there for 4 hours with no freight isn't very welcoming. Might just go one one train and split the ticket at the station (Say Middlesbrough - Tees-side Airport and Teesside Airport - Darlington). But I'd have to step off the train for a second as I couldn't say I've been there.
 

A60K

Member
Joined
26 Jun 2008
Messages
1,030
Location
Kilburn
No public road access to be precise - there is a 20ish mile long estate road from the A86.
 

trickyvegas

Member
Joined
10 Dec 2009
Messages
362
Middlewood used to have two stations :shock:

I've seen people get on/off there and it's quite heavily used compared with other small stations - but one has to wonder where they've come from/intend to go.

The former Marple - Macclesfield line has now been converted into a footpath and bridleway, which would be the main attraction plus its fairly close to the Macclesfield canal.
 

317666

Established Member
Joined
4 Sep 2009
Messages
1,775
Location
East Anglia
Roughton Road has a train every 2 hours each way, but it doesn't look very well used.
 

paul1609

Established Member
Joined
28 Jan 2006
Messages
7,992
Location
K
Middlewood used to have two stations :shock:

I've seen people get on/off there and it's quite heavily used compared with other small stations - but one has to wonder where they've come from/intend to go.

The line that served the other Middlewood station is now the Middlewood way cycle path which is very popular with cyclists and ramblers; http://www.macclesfield.gov.uk/pdfs/MidWayGuide.pdf
 

Broken Viking

On Moderation
Joined
23 Oct 2006
Messages
1,666
Location
some place west of France
I'm going to throw Longcross between Sunningdale and Virginia Water into the mix here as that station seems to me to receive very little apparent use or service of any description. In the last seven years of using the line fairly regularly, I don't think that I've been on more than two trains that have actually called there - Most normally fly through the station at line speed. :)

That said though, I do see that there is a large industrial complex of some description immediateley next to the station, plus the fact that it's near the back entrance to Sunningdale golf course...So I suppose it could be a "commuting" station owned/operated by the industrial complex, or it might be a non-advertised request station. :?:
 

will1337

Member
Joined
5 Feb 2008
Messages
613
Location
Laaandaaan
Hail Death, Yuletide greetings. <D

I believe that Longcross was used a lot more about 4 or 5 years ago as the BBC filmed a TV series there for a time. It may explain why the station has PIS facilities and is in relatively good nick considering it gets very little usage and I've yet to be on a 458 that has called there.
 

12CSVT

Established Member
Joined
18 Aug 2010
Messages
2,611
Does anybody know why the Coryton branch needs so many stations. Surely six stations in two miles is a teeny weeny bit excessive ?
 

WESSEX158

Member
Joined
7 Aug 2010
Messages
35
Okehampton Station has only 5 trains per day from Exeter on sunday only - as part of the sunday rover
 

SteamontheMet

Member
Joined
5 Mar 2010
Messages
88
Location
In my nice Cosy Signal Box :)
any stations in london that are not used much?

One's I can Think of

No Weekend Service

Sudbury Hill Harrow
Sudbury Harrow Road
(Hour Service by Chiltern Railways but not many people get on or off)

No Sunday Service

South Greenford
Castle Bar Park
Drayton Green
(Quiet Station Halts operated by First Great Western)

Perivale on the Central line in my opinion is a very quiet station on the underground, I sometimes feel like the only person to use it.
 

brad465

Veteran Member
Joined
11 Aug 2010
Messages
11,544
Location
Taunton or Kent
Three Oaks, Doleham and Winchelsea all on Marshlink Line, only see 3tpd.

It used to be more years ago however:|
 

PinzaC55

Member
Joined
6 Sep 2010
Messages
548
If I remember rightly Teesside Airport station only has one train each way on a Saturday?
Just checked on Wikipedia and in 2008/2009 it was used by 46 people all year!
 
Last edited:

142094

Established Member
Joined
7 Nov 2009
Messages
8,789
Location
Newcastle
Aye that was mostly a group of people who went on one Saturday to highlight the lack of service to the station. Think they then had a guided tour of the Airport before getting the train back to Darlington.
 

tripleseis

Member
Joined
7 Sep 2008
Messages
208
Perivale on the Central line in my opinion is a very quiet station on the underground, I sometimes feel like the only person to use it.
Useful station though, as it serves a nearby industrial park and quite a large residential area (I used to work nearby). Hanger Lane and Greenford are both quite a trek away.
 

Daniel

Established Member
Joined
5 Oct 2005
Messages
2,568
Location
London
No Sunday Service



+ Angel Road

1 train an hour off-peak Monday - Friday, 2 in peak.
1 train an hour Saturday.
0 trains Sunday.

Angel Road is the closest station to IKEA Edmonton, but has never been advertised as such, instead you are advised to go to Tottenham Hale and get a shuttle bus for IKEA..
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top