• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

'Slow living', and life in a pre-current-internet world

Status
Not open for further replies.

Peter Sarf

Established Member
Joined
12 Oct 2010
Messages
9,817
Location
Croydon
I'm not entirely sure of the last sentence but it does hold water in general terms.

As well as the typing pool there was the filing clerk. Ours had a special file for each of the special individuals who would write in completely incoherently, with or without swear words, or others that would send in their fantasy designs for how bits of the town should be rebuilt.
A basic thesis I am coming up with is that in the past people who had time on their hands could invest it in writing more speculative or unpleasant letters.
Fast forward to the modern age and less time is required to bang out rubbish. Also very easy to forward rubbish or otherwise to other people.

On the subject of forwarding - A boss springs to mind who in the early 2000s would forward almost all emails he received to EVERYONE. I once tried to make an email that he could not or should not forward to certain others to see if he made any consideration first. Certain other people used to exclude him from their group lists so as to save others from so much forwarded noise.

The prolific email forwarding was twenty years ago before social media. Goodness knows how thoroughly he has embraced social media since then !!.
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Indigo Soup

Established Member
Joined
17 May 2018
Messages
1,488
Likewise. And as the placement student and then for a while as the graduate, between drafting and sending to the typing pool there was let the boss rip the draft to shreds so one learnt to do it properly.
Now you do your own typing... then the boss rips it to shreds anyway.
Ours had a special file for each of the special individuals who would write in completely incoherently, with or without swear words, or others that would send in their fantasy designs for how bits of the town should be rebuilt.
Was it circular and on the floor?

A former acquaintance insisted that certain Civil Service offices had a four-tray system: the traditional 'In', 'Out', and 'Pending', along with an additional 'Not Received'.
 

styles

Established Member
Joined
7 Dec 2014
Messages
4,962
Location
Gwynedd
I took steps towards 'rolling back' a bit a few years ago.

I got rid of Twitter years ago, Reddit also, though I do browse not-logged-in occasionally. Facebook I deleted my main account, and have created an account under a fake name which I use purely because of a select few groups on there.

I do frequent some forums, albeit, infrequently.

On my phone I do have plenty of apps, but they're mainly for puzzles, learning, etc. Don't have the social media apps, banking apps, news apps, etc. I found it rather liberating removing everything as the number of push notifications dropped dramatically (I'm aware I could've just switched them off app-by-app, but removing the app makes it far less tempting to doomscroll, especially with the responsiveness of the Facebook web app).

I'm a software developer so naturally I'm in front of a computer most of the day as it is. Weekends I go camping, and after work I generally switch off from the Tinternet.

I do use a lot of tech though. I have a sports watch and I track my bike rides, hikes, etc with it. I've got a cycling computer. I listen to podcasts in the car via Bluetooth, whatever.

I guess what I've tried to reduce is the sheer pervasiveness of it, and how it constantly tries to draw my attention. Some of it is just ridiculous. I had emails from the likes of Greggs and KFC offering me a donut and 3 chicken wings for my birthday before now. I'm aware many will see it as a 'nice gesture', but to me it's just creepy. I resent websites asking for my birthday with no good reason for it as it is, let alone using that to basically target marketing. A comedian named James Veitch did a skit about this which I resonated with:

It's interesting though that this is not a recent phenomenon. 10 years ago, 'Look Up' was uploaded:
. Clearly not the most successful campaign, if the looks of a commuter train carriage at 8am is anything to go by.

Curiously, I came back to using forums in different stages of life precisely because I can just dedicate say half an hour to chatting about transport, whereas if I opened the Reddit or Twitter app I'd be scrolling and it's just muddled into a continuous scroll.

As for pace of life, yes I do think perhaps things were slowed down a bit pre-dotcomboom. At the same time it's a little hard to judge as I was a child when the WWW really took off and while I can remember time before it, childhood is itself a different pace of life. I suspect this is what will make it difficult to judge - the ubiquitous nature of technology is merely one factor and difficult to separate from people's natural changes in lifestyle as we age.
 

Baxenden Bank

Established Member
Joined
23 Oct 2013
Messages
4,759
Now you do your own typing... then the boss rips it to shreds anyway.

Was it circular and on the floor?

A former acquaintance insisted that certain Civil Service offices had a four-tray system: the traditional 'In', 'Out', and 'Pending', along with an additional 'Not Received'.
No, a proper card folder with a reference number, all papers received hole punched and entered in date order. It's a long time ago but I don't think they were individually cross-referenced to the card index though. Just one entry for name of sender and the file number. If things got a bit stressful you could pop down to the filing section and ask to see the file.

Which reminds me, a blow up sheep (inflated, taking up a whole Iron Mountain box) was once sent to Iron Mountain. Catalogue reference: recreational strategy model.
 

Peter Sarf

Established Member
Joined
12 Oct 2010
Messages
9,817
Location
Croydon
I took steps towards 'rolling back' a bit a few years ago.

I got rid of Twitter years ago, Reddit also, though I do browse not-logged-in occasionally. Facebook I deleted my main account, and have created an account under a fake name which I use purely because of a select few groups on there.

I do frequent some forums, albeit, infrequently.

On my phone I do have plenty of apps, but they're mainly for puzzles, learning, etc. Don't have the social media apps, banking apps, news apps, etc. I found it rather liberating removing everything as the number of push notifications dropped dramatically (I'm aware I could've just switched them off app-by-app, but removing the app makes it far less tempting to doomscroll, especially with the responsiveness of the Facebook web app).

I'm a software developer so naturally I'm in front of a computer most of the day as it is. Weekends I go camping, and after work I generally switch off from the Tinternet.

I do use a lot of tech though. I have a sports watch and I track my bike rides, hikes, etc with it. I've got a cycling computer. I listen to podcasts in the car via Bluetooth, whatever.

I guess what I've tried to reduce is the sheer pervasiveness of it, and how it constantly tries to draw my attention. Some of it is just ridiculous. I had emails from the likes of Greggs and KFC offering me a donut and 3 chicken wings for my birthday before now. I'm aware many will see it as a 'nice gesture', but to me it's just creepy. I resent websites asking for my birthday with no good reason for it as it is, let alone using that to basically target marketing. A comedian named James Veitch did a skit about this which I resonated with:

It's interesting though that this is not a recent phenomenon. 10 years ago, 'Look Up' was uploaded:
. Clearly not the most successful campaign, if the looks of a commuter train carriage at 8am is anything to go by.

Curiously, I came back to using forums in different stages of life precisely because I can just dedicate say half an hour to chatting about transport, whereas if I opened the Reddit or Twitter app I'd be scrolling and it's just muddled into a continuous scroll.

As for pace of life, yes I do think perhaps things were slowed down a bit pre-dotcomboom. At the same time it's a little hard to judge as I was a child when the WWW really took off and while I can remember time before it, childhood is itself a different pace of life. I suspect this is what will make it difficult to judge - the ubiquitous nature of technology is merely one factor and difficult to separate from people's natural changes in lifestyle as we age.
Watching that last video made me thin of my granddaughter (10). I take her out as much as I can and she willingly comes. Dad, so younger than me, bought her a mobile. The mobile goes in my pocket and she copes admirably. Most of her social media interaction is with school friends so there is human contact there I suppose but yes - I am that person striking up a conversation at the bus stop.
 

SteveP29

Member
Joined
23 Apr 2011
Messages
1,181
Location
Edinburgh/ Chester le Street
Sometimes I wonder what someone born one-hundred years ago might think about the technological changes the world has seen in their lifetime - from radio through television to the internet and now AI. And of course Ceefax!

My Paternal Grandparents died 36 and 38 years ago.

They never saw a mobile phone, the internet, satellite TV, streaming and streaming on demand television, DVD and Blu Ray.

They would both have been 100 now and I have no idea how they'd have reacted to them.

I have a cousin who moved to Australia about 15 years ago, getting around the time difference sometimes creates a problem, but with Skype, Zoom and WhatsApp, he can see and talk to his parents in real time with no more than a millisecond delay, what my Grandparents would have made of that is another mystery.
 

styles

Established Member
Joined
7 Dec 2014
Messages
4,962
Location
Gwynedd
Watching that last video made me thin of my granddaughter (10). I take her out as much as I can and she willingly comes. Dad, so younger than me, bought her a mobile. The mobile goes in my pocket and she copes admirably. Most of her social media interaction is with school friends so there is human contact there I suppose but yes - I am that person striking up a conversation at the bus stop.
100%. I don't have kids of my own, but my experience as an uncle of a few and as a scout leader (for the 14-18 year olds section) is most children and teenagers are fine without their phones providing they're entertained in some way. Went for a 3 hour long walk today with 4 nephews aged 1-10 and the 10 year-old only got his phone out twice - once to check he had enough money in his GoHenry account for an ice cream, and once to take a photo of the lake. He was more than happy crafting a bird's nest, finding pine cones for his younger brother, throwing the ball for the dog, and tying longer sticks and twigs together to make quite an impressive looking broom (either his mum or dad have taught him diagonal lashings and he's obsessed at the moment) And of course, chatting, including greeting pretty much every person we passed. No doubt he'll get some Minecraft and YouTube time in when he gets tired this evening, but it's like he doesn't even think about his phone if he's occupied with something.

Not sure I'm extroverted enough to strike up conversations at bus stops, but if somebody else 'makes the first move' I tend to enjoy it.
 

Ediswan

Established Member
Joined
15 Nov 2012
Messages
3,459
Location
Stevenage
I have a cousin who moved to Australia about 15 years ago, getting around the time difference sometimes creates a problem, but with Skype, Zoom and WhatsApp, he can see and talk to his parents in real time with no more than a millisecond delay, what my Grandparents would have made of that is another mystery.
Where can I buy thsis faster-than-light technology ?
 

Falcon1200

Established Member
Joined
14 Jun 2021
Messages
6,612
Location
Neilston, East Renfrewshire
the 10 year-old only got his phone out twice - once to check he had enough money in his GoHenry account for an ice cream, and once to take a photo of the lake.

A 10-year old with a bank account paying for an ice cream with his phone? Things have certainly changed since my day of digging a few sticky coins from a pocket to buy a lolly!
 

styles

Established Member
Joined
7 Dec 2014
Messages
4,962
Location
Gwynedd
A 10-year old with a bank account paying for an ice cream with his phone? Things have certainly changed since my day of digging a few sticky coins from a pocket to buy a lolly!
Indeed. Not even sure I had a building society account at 10.

We didn't make him pay for his own ice cream mind. I think he enjoys having his own money and being able to pay for things himself. He's quite quick to spend though, which makes saving for a laptop quite difficult when suddenly you want all the ride medals at Alton Towers.
 

Peter Sarf

Established Member
Joined
12 Oct 2010
Messages
9,817
Location
Croydon
Indeed. Not even sure I had a building society account at 10.

We didn't make him pay for his own ice cream mind. I think he enjoys having his own money and being able to pay for things himself. He's quite quick to spend though, which makes saving for a laptop quite difficult when suddenly you want all the ride medals at Alton Towers.
This is the thing. Who is ACTUALLY paying.

I am trying to get the granddaughters parents to the stage where she gets pocket money. A fixed regular income * rather than just hand outs / bail outs so she can start budgeting.

* = Income - OH Um, well it would be a nice idea if the child "earnt" it somehow.
 

styles

Established Member
Joined
7 Dec 2014
Messages
4,962
Location
Gwynedd
This is the thing. Who is ACTUALLY paying.

I am trying to get the granddaughters parents to the stage where she gets pocket money. A fixed regular income * rather than just hand outs / bail outs so she can start budgeting.

* = Income - OH Um, well it would be a nice idea if the child "earnt" it somehow.
Aye it's a bit of a balancing act really.

On the one hand, he gets a fixed weekly pocket money, and should be allowed to "fail" at saving if he wants to buy all the Alton Towers ride medals. If he runs out of money we'll be asking him how much enjoyment he's had out of the ride medals no doubt.

At the same time, much like an adult, people will buy him ice cream. I normally pay for a lot of adults' treats anyway just due to being in a bit of a better financial position and I'm not really wanting to live my life expecting people to pay back £3 for a Mr Whippy. In that respect, it's no different paying for his either.

We also can't really hold him back when it comes to some savings goals. He's got a programmer mind, and can write bits of Python to make text-based games. It wouldn't be right to not buy him a laptop on the basis that he's not a competent saver at the age of 10. At some point I'm sure his parents will circle the conversation back, like you could've had an archery set for Christmas if you'd managed to save for the laptop and buy it from your pocket money (or something like that).

I think in all honesty I'm happy to buy treats etc for him because he's such a good newhew as well - he cooks for us a couple of times a week, does the washing up, tidies toys away without complaint, does the clothes washing and drying, rakes the garden, looks after his baby brother, etc. I'm definitely swayed by that! I suppose I should link the treats to praise sometimes.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top