• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Slovakia free rail passes

Status
Not open for further replies.

shredder1

Established Member
Joined
23 Nov 2016
Messages
3,141
Location
North Manchester
I picked mine up last week from Bratislava, 2 Euros for the photograph and available for anyone over the age of 62, used it on the overnighter from Bratislava to Kosice.
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

30907

Veteran Member
Joined
30 Sep 2012
Messages
21,991
Location
Airedale
Where did you get the photo done, because it's less than passport size IIRC?
I've got mine, but my wife hasn't. Thanks in advance.
 

shredder1

Established Member
Joined
23 Nov 2016
Messages
3,141
Location
North Manchester
Where did you get the photo done, because it's less than passport size IIRC?
I've got mine, but my wife hasn't. Thanks in advance.


Youre welcome friend, I had it done in the railway station at Bratislava, but the ticket office just cuts it down to fit.
 

30907

Veteran Member
Joined
30 Sep 2012
Messages
21,991
Location
Airedale
Youre welcome friend, I had it done in the railway station at Bratislava, but the ticket office just cuts it down to fit.
Thanks, so just a standard passport size? I resized mine electronically, obviously a waste of effort....
 

dutchflyer

Established Member
Joined
17 Oct 2013
Messages
1,550
Got mine some 2 years ago and all free-I brought the foto myself-they just cut it a little to fit. Also have to show ID (of course) and wrtie down adress+@mail-better to have that with you printed (BTW: podpis=signature).
Note that its for all over 62, for students ONLY when studying at a SK-uni/school.
For FAST (rychlik) trains there are QUOTA to prevent gross overcrowding, to use the EC-trains (Praha-B'láva-Sturovo-Budapest) its 1 eur fee. Its apparently possible to prebook online seats for R-trains, but I've never tried this.
Its more restricted to use as in Hungary (free for any EU over 65-just show ID, but pay for fast train supplemnts-so hurry up Brits to use it), where its free on all publ.transp-incl. buses/trams/metro etc. without any quota and no need to get tickets beforehand.
As an aside: for Praha-DPP (urban transport-metro+tram+bus) you can (again only for EU, I think) a free pass from any DPP office (NOT in airport!) over 65, from 60-64 it gives half fare. Again bring foto+ID to prove.
More free/discount offers for seniors on europetrainsguide.com
 

shredder1

Established Member
Joined
23 Nov 2016
Messages
3,141
Location
North Manchester
Got mine some 2 years ago and all free-I brought the foto myself-they just cut it a little to fit. Also have to show ID (of course) and wrtie down adress+@mail-better to have that with you printed (BTW: podpis=signature).
Note that its for all over 62, for students ONLY when studying at a SK-uni/school.
For FAST (rychlik) trains there are QUOTA to prevent gross overcrowding, to use the EC-trains (Praha-B'láva-Sturovo-Budapest) its 1 eur fee. Its apparently possible to prebook online seats for R-trains, but I've never tried this.
Its more restricted to use as in Hungary (free for any EU over 65-just show ID, but pay for fast train supplemnts-so hurry up Brits to use it), where its free on all publ.transp-incl. buses/trams/metro etc. without any quota and no need to get tickets beforehand.
As an aside: for Praha-DPP (urban transport-metro+tram+bus) you can (again only for EU, I think) a free pass from any DPP office (NOT in airport!) over 65, from 60-64 it gives half fare. Again bring foto+ID to prove.
More free/discount offers for seniors on europetrainsguide.com

Thats more than I realised, I know its free in Budapest by just showing your passport on buses and trams.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top