• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Sky TV on coaches

Status
Not open for further replies.

tigerroar

Member
Joined
30 May 2010
Messages
528
Location
Gloucester
Is it an expensive outlay? We book several coaches a year and it would be lovely to have because motorways are boring.
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Crossover

Established Member
Joined
4 Jun 2009
Messages
9,493
Location
Yorkshire
Am I the only one you who is disappointed to realise this isn't anything to do with the coaches of the Mk 4's that advertise Sky One? :P
 

ASharpe

Member
Joined
4 Feb 2013
Messages
1,024
Location
West Yorkshire
Many people take along a laptop or tablet computer loaded up with films or TV on their journeys. Have you considered doing that?

I personally find it rather irritating when I occasionally do get a coach (almost always a rail replacement service) and have to put up with listening to whichever radio station the driver likes. Could he not have a quiet radio for him near his seat and let the passengers use their own radios or MP3 players if they want to listen to music.
 

Zoidberg

Established Member
Joined
27 Aug 2010
Messages
1,270
Location
West Midlands
Is it an expensive outlay? We book several coaches a year and it would be lovely to have because motorways are boring.

I rarely use coaches and have no experience of any TV service being available.

How effective is the technology in keeping the receiving dish focussed on the satellite? I imagine that the signal is prone to being blocked by buildings, trees and so on.
 

tigerroar

Member
Joined
30 May 2010
Messages
528
Location
Gloucester
Not interested in personal choices of entertainment, I'm interested in how it works, whether it's any good or whether it's easy to have installed.

We pay upto £700 for some of the coaches that we hire and as good as a DVD player might be it would be nicer to be able to watch the late kick off matches on Sky on the way home.
 

jon0844

Veteran Member
Joined
1 Feb 2009
Messages
30,937
Location
UK
It would probably be easier to stream over 3G/4G but the data consumption would likely be between 500MB-1GB per hour.

There are mobile tariffs allowing unlimited data, such as Three's One Plan for £20 a month, but mobile streaming via Sky Go is usually 1-3 minutes behind, and if the coverage drops then you'll also lose the picture and usually find it picks up from where it stopped - so will now be even further behind (this might be better than just returning to being live, or not, depending on what you're watching).

Only yesterday I was out and getting texts informing me of how bad Spurs were doing, while then having to wait a minute or two to see the next goal on Sky Go!

I'd say that it would make more sense for a certain amount of material to be downloaded and displayed, much how I expect it's done on things like the Heathrow Express, periodically. You'd then have some rolling news, sport and so forth - but nothing actually live. (BTW, how much would the coach company have to pay for broadcasting Sky, especially sport, to passengers - rather a lot more than a home viewer pays!).

But with so many people having their own device, which gives them the choice to watch exactly what THEY want, I can't see onboard systems being worth the investment unless they're done as loss leaders to get more people to travel over a rival service that is without.

I'd rather have a seat back screen and a USB slot that will charge my device (on Virgin planes, they don't charge - at least not in economy) and let me watch my own content on the bigger screen. That seems to be the way a lot of in flight systems are going, as well as many hotels that have ports to let you hook up your phone/tablet.
 
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top