• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Skegness - Huddersfield advance tickets

Status
Not open for further replies.

MarcusL1

Member
Joined
4 Sep 2016
Messages
16
We always book our tickets as far in advance as possible for the best prices. I saw that VTEC was doing 24 week advance tickets, so we went ahead and booked the tickets from HUD to SKG, at the usual price of £19.45. Upon booking the return journey, there were only 3 journeys available.
So, we thought we'd wait until for advance tickets became available within the 12 week period. All we're seeing are £19.45 tickets in the morning and £82 off-peak tickets in the evening. Why is this? If I search for tickets from SKG to GRA then GRA to HUD, advance tickets are available. Why aren't through advance fares available for this trip? The day we're travelling is on the 5th August.
I may be missing an blatantly obvious answer on this issue, but I'd thought I'd better ask anyway. Thanks in advance.
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Joined
6 Jun 2005
Messages
78,428
Location
Yorkshire
All we're seeing are £19.45 tickets in the morning and £82 off-peak tickets in the evening. Why is this? If I search for tickets from SKG to GRA then GRA to HUD, advance tickets are available. Why aren't through advance fares available for this trip? The day we're travelling is on the 5th August.
I may be missing an blatantly obvious answer on this issue, but I'd thought I'd better ask anyway. Thanks in advance.
There is no quota on Standard Advances for at least one of the trains on the through fare; this must be a mistake. I don't quite have the tools to see which trains are affected by this, but the most likely possibility is that the issue is with the EMT trains, as it's less likely VTEC would have quota issues on their own trains.

So the cheapest overall fares are First Advances; you have to pay more to travel in Standard!

The relevant people within Virgin Trains East Coast, who price these fares, do read the forum, so will now (or shortly) be aware of the issue. I don't know if people involved in pricing from EMT view these forums, but it's likely they do too. The two companies may need to liaise to resolve it.
 

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Joined
6 Jun 2005
Messages
78,428
Location
Yorkshire
In fact that's almost certainly it; the price you quote is for the ticket type "BSZ" from Skegness to Huddersfield, which has no quota for the throughout journey, yet when you book from Grantham the ticket type "BSZ" (priced at £16.80) has quota available.

You didn't specify a particular itinerary so I chose a random one, but it appears to affect almost all of them, so I don't think that matters.
 

MarcusL1

Member
Joined
4 Sep 2016
Messages
16
There is no quota on Standard Advances for at least one of the trains on the through fare; this must be a mistake. I don't quite have the tools to see which trains are affected by this, but the most likely possibility is that the issue is with the EMT trains, as it's less likely VTEC would have quota issues on their own trains.

So the cheapest overall fares are First Advances; you have to pay more to travel in Standard!

The relevant people within Virgin Trains East Coast, who price these fares, do read the forum, so will now (or shortly) be aware of the issue. I don't know if people involved in pricing from EMT view these forums, but it's likely they do too. The two companies may need to liaise to resolve it.
Thank you for the explanation, I knew something wasn't right
 

Wallsendmag

Established Member
Joined
11 Dec 2014
Messages
6,288
Location
Wallsend or somewhere on the ECML
EMT tend not to have any allocation for Advance tickets from Grantham. I've seen this time and time again over the years . Understandable really as the services are usually full.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
 

MarcusL1

Member
Joined
4 Sep 2016
Messages
16
EMT tend not to have any allocation for Advance tickets from Grantham. I've seen this time and time again over the years . Understandable really as the services are usually full.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

That wasn't the case last year, or the year before - £19.45 advance tickets each journey
 

MarcusL1

Member
Joined
4 Sep 2016
Messages
16
Can I ask where you booked your outward ticket as that journey shouldn't be in the 24 week booking allocation


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

That'll be the VTEC website, though those tickets aren't actually available now which is a tad confusing.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top