43303_43058
Member
What is the difference between a SK coach and a FK coach? Seating arrangement, legroom, etc…
7 compartments in an FK. 8 compartments in a SK, with obvious differences in legroom.What is the difference between a SK coach and a FK coach? Seating arrangement, legroom, etc…
Except for those converted from downclassed FKs - there were some Mk2A and Cs iirc so treated in the mod-80s.7 compartments in an FK. 8 compartments in a SK, with obvious differences in legroom.
Some SKs were set up for 64 passengers sat 4 across (8 to a compartment) with no armrests, others for 48.
FKs seat 42.
Yeah, I meant the bog-standard Mk1sExcept for those converted from downclassed FKs - there were some Mk2A and Cs iirc so treated in the mid-80s.
As I recall, most of them had armrests which could be folded away, so could seat either 48 or 64. Some of them later had the armrest sewn up (as also happened to the downgraded first class compartments in 2HAPs when converted to 2SAPs)7 compartments in an FK. 8 compartments in a SK, with obvious differences in legroom.
Some SKs were set up for 64 passengers sat 4 across (8 to a compartment) with no armrests, others for 48.
FKs seat 42.
The 8 seat compartments on the WR and SR Mk1s did not have armrests - the material went all the way across - so even if not full there was nowhere to 'rest' arms..As I recall, most of them had armrests which could be folded away, so could seat either 48 or 64. Some of them later had the armrest sewn up (as also happened to the downgraded first class compartments in 2HAPs when converted to 2SAPs)
Raising the armrests also converted them into a twin-bed compartment. The perfect overnight accommodation.As I recall, most of them had armrests which could be folded away, so could seat either 48 or 64. Some of them later had the armrest sewn up (as also happened to the downgraded first class compartments in 2HAPs when converted to 2SAPs)
The set used in 1978 on the Yeovil News, on which I commuted, definitely had sewn up armrests.The 8 seat compartments on the WR and SR Mk1s did not have armrests - the material went all the way across - so even if not full there was nowhere to 'rest' arms..
Looking at the diagrams in Hugh Longworth's book, I see that only the SKs delivered to the Western Region had the 4-across arrangment, whereas those delivered to all the other regions including the Southern were three across, with armrests. The armrests could be folded away when the trains were busy, although some may have been sewn up in later years. (This was also done on the SR's 2HAP units when converted to 2SAP by declassifying the First Class compartments.The four-across arrangement was at one time a Southern and Western Region preference; the other regions had three-across. All those I can remember had the arm rests sewn up, although they sometimes came down, revealing a lot of dirt and some ageing rubbish. And of course FK and SK stood for Corridor First and Corridor Second, respectively.
Quite so. Although on two occasions I recall emerging from my slumbers to the disapproving glares of three or four early morning commuters on the opposite seat.Raising the armrests also converted them into a twin-bed compartment. The perfect overnight accommodation.
Perhaps by then there were vehicles which had been transferred in from other regions?The set used in 1978 on the Yeovil News, on which I commuted, definitely had sewn up armrests.
That is interesting as I believe Southern regarded them as 8 seat compartments although on reflection I am not sure if I ever travelled in a SR SK, but definitely BSK and CK(but possibly BCK).Looking at the diagrams in Hugh Longworth's book, I see that only the SKs delivered to the Western Region had the 4-across arrangment, whereas those delivered to all the other regions including the Southern were three across, with armrests.
I never came across those examples, 4 first and 3 second was the norm. (LMS CKs were 3 first 4 second)There were also CK corridor composite Mark I coaches with three first class compartments and four second class compartments. CK coaches also had a different arrangement of external doors and windows on the corridor side.
You're right. I have corrected my message.I never came across those examples, 4 first and 3 second was the norm. (LMS CKs were 3 first 4 second)
All Mk1 CK had 4 First and 3 Second compartments.There were also CK corridor composite Mark I coaches with three first class compartments and four second class compartments. CK coaches also had a different arrangement of external doors and windows on the corridor side.
They used to do that with the FKs on the Motorail services. They even provided pillows and a blanket.Raising the armrests also converted them into a twin-bed compartment. The perfect overnight accommodation.