• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

SJ Sleeper Hamburg to Stockholm

Status
Not open for further replies.

otter11

Member
Joined
4 Apr 2016
Messages
133
Hello, we are planning to take the SJ Euronight from Hamburg to Stockholm (or possibly Norrköping) on 26th April.

Currently the SJ website is suggesting a long journey with 3 changes but says 'Track Maintenance in planning' meaning it won't let me see any details of the itinerary.

Does anyone know what the relevant engineering work is that weekend, and what might be likely to run? Or do I just need to wait until closer to the time to see what they will decide to run?

It would be good to know if it is something major as I may then decide to change dates.

Thanks
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Gloster

Veteran Member
Joined
4 Sep 2020
Messages
13,030
Location
Up the creek
Yes it runs 7 days per week

Curious. I can’t get on to the SJ site at the moment, but the DB International site gives it as running. However, when I do a search on the normal DB German site, which reverts to English at the last stage, it isn’t there. Nor was it in the latest European Rail Timetable, which dropped through my letterbox yesterday: this was my original source.
 

jamesontheroad

Established Member
Joined
24 Jan 2009
Messages
2,242
Location
Umeå, Sweden
Currently the SJ website is suggesting a long journey with 3 changes but says 'Track Maintenance in planning' meaning it won't let me see any details of the itinerary.

Does anyone know what the relevant engineering work is that weekend, and what might be likely to run? Or do I just need to wait until closer to the time to see what they will decide to run?

"Track maintenance in planning" means precisely that. It's Trafikverket, the state transportation agency who plans engineering works on the railway in Sweden. And they're useless. They sometimes only confirm engineering works 3-4 weeks in advance. Until then, it's up to the railway companies to decide whether: a) they sell tickets for services they think will be (Snälltåget tends to do this); or b) not sell anything works are 100% confirmed (SJ tend to choose this option).

In your instance, Trafikverket have yet to confirm whether or not overnight or weekend engineering works will prevent the EuroNight from running. So SJ aren't selling tickets yet.

Curious. I can’t get on to the SJ site at the moment, but the DB International site gives it as running. However, when I do a search on the normal DB German site, which reverts to English at the last stage, it isn’t there. Nor was it in the latest European Rail Timetable, which dropped through my letterbox yesterday: this was my original source.

In the case of the Stockolm-Berlin EuroNight, trust SJ's website before DB.
 

mountainpixel

Member
Joined
25 Jan 2024
Messages
73
Location
Switzerland
The line from Malmö to Stockholm will be closed on your weekend between Diö and Hässleholm for 45 hours (26.04 at 05:00 till 28.04 at 03:15). They are replacing the catenary wires.

The train might get rerouted via Göteborg and then to Stockholm. But currently the capacity between Göteborg and Stockholm is very restricted due to ongoing construction work. So I kinda doubt this is going to happen. Maybe another interesting diversion.

You will just have to wait and see.

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==

In your instance, Trafikverket have yet to confirm whether or not overnight or weekend engineering works will prevent the EuroNight from running. So SJ aren't selling tickets yet.
The track will be closed on this weekend. Currently, it is just the planing if and how rerouting via the "West Coast" is possible.
 
Last edited:

otter11

Member
Joined
4 Apr 2016
Messages
133
The line from Malmö to Stockholm will be closed on your weekend between Diö and Hässleholm for 45 hours (26.04 at 05:00 till 28.04 at 03:15). They are replacing the catenary wires.

The train might get rerouted via Göteborg and then to Stockholm. But currently the capacity between Göteborg and Stockholm is very restricted due to ongoing construction work. So I kinda doubt this is going to happen. Maybe another interesting diversion.

You will just have to wait and see.

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==


The track will be closed on this weekend. Currently, it is just the planing if and how rerouting via the "West Coast" is possible.
Thank you, I think I will try for the following weekend in that case - as we have plans on the Sunday so a delayed arrival would not be ideal.
 

mountainpixel

Member
Joined
25 Jan 2024
Messages
73
Location
Switzerland
Thank you, I think I will try for the following weekend in that case - as we have plans on the Sunday so a delayed arrival would not be ideal.
Regardless of engineering work. Don't plan anything within 3 hours of the scheduled arrival time. The EN is sadly notorious for its long delays. I've only had one trip with it where I was not entitled to delay compensation, with all 5 other trips this had been the case.
 

otter11

Member
Joined
4 Apr 2016
Messages
133
Regardless of engineering work. Don't plan anything within 3 hours of the scheduled arrival time. The EN is sadly notorious for its long delays. I've only had one trip with it where I was not entitled to delay compensation, with all 5 other trips this had been the case.
Thanks for the advice!

For the way back I am looking at 9th May - again there is trackwork quoted on the SJ site.
Snalltaget mentions track work in Denmark this time - do you have any details of what this is and whether it's likely to have the train cancelled?
 

Gloster

Veteran Member
Joined
4 Sep 2020
Messages
13,030
Location
Up the creek
For the way back I am looking at 9th May - again there is trackwork quoted on the SJ site.
Snalltaget mentions track work in Denmark this time - do you have any details of what this is and whether it's likely to have the train cancelled?

Snälltåget just says that on the 11 May 301 will have a later departure and no trains Friday night. The Danish engineering work page for that date isn’t up yet.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top