• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Sir John Betjeman: Romantic or Realist?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tiny Tim

Member
Joined
6 Jan 2012
Messages
463
Location
Devizes, Wiltshire.
I've just watched 'Lets Imagine: A Branch Line Railway' a BBC documentary from 1963. It's available (free!) as part of the BBC Steam Railway Collection on BBC iPlayer. It's a fascinating trip along part of the old Somerset & Dorset line to Burnham-on-Sea. I've always seen Betjeman as a romantic, and his views on railways as more emotive than practical. However, in this programme he makes some surprisingly prescient (for 1963) remarks concerning the future of our railways. He was also instrumental in saving St Pancras Station from demolition, and you don't change government policy with poetry. I'm wondering if the former Poet Laureate was a bit more of a realist than I give him credit for.
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

yorksrob

Veteran Member
Joined
6 Aug 2009
Messages
44,384
Location
Yorks
Sir John Betjaman said:
Highbridge Wharf, your hopes have died,
they flow like driftwood on the tide,
out, out into the open sea,
oh sad, forgotten S&D

When I was a child I got that on a BBC video as a present (complete with intro by Michael Palin at Quainton Road).

Love it. Perhaps Sir John was a bit over optimistic at the potential for the Highbridge branch, but he was spot on about us coming to regret the loss of so many routes in the age of road hoardings and traffic jams.

The main route from Bath to Bournemouth should have stayed in my opinion.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top