• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Single ticket price difference depending on direction of travel

Status
Not open for further replies.

diffarc

On Moderation
Joined
1 Feb 2012
Messages
36
Location
UK
I was looking to book a ticket from Balham to Gatwick Airport, and noticed that for anytime singles, the prices varies.

If booking Balham > Gatwick, the 26-30 price is £15.70.

Going Gatwick > Balham, the price is £16.45.

Its the first time I've encountered this, but does anyone know if this done for any reason?
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

hexagon789

Veteran Member
Joined
2 Sep 2016
Messages
18,333
Location
Glasgow
I was looking to book a ticket from Balham to Gatwick Airport, and noticed that for anytime singles, the prices varies.

If booking Balham > Gatwick, the 26-30 price is £15.70.

Going Gatwick > Balham, the price is £16.45.

Its the first time I've encountered this, but does anyone know if this done for any reason?
Not that unusual - there are similar discrepancies with a number of fares around London where the fare in one direction is cheaper than the other.
 

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Joined
27 Apr 2011
Messages
18,156
It's not really a disrecpancy, fares are often set up this way to take account of passenger numbers in a particular direction.

Compare Cambridge to London with London to Cambridge
Or Stevenage to London with London to Stevenage.
 

diffarc

On Moderation
Joined
1 Feb 2012
Messages
36
Location
UK
Ah I see, thanks! I do not often use singles, and I guess where I have before the price has been the same.
 

Vexed

Member
Joined
12 Jan 2020
Messages
679
Location
Herts / Hants
Ah I see, thanks! I do not often use singles, and I guess where I have before the price has been the same.
It's not just with singles, quite a few flows have returns priced differently in different directions. You are, of course, not allowed to use the return portion first and then the outward portion second.
 

talldave

Established Member
Joined
24 Jan 2013
Messages
2,687
I was looking to book a ticket from Balham to Gatwick Airport, and noticed that for anytime singles, the prices varies.

If booking Balham > Gatwick, the 26-30 price is £15.70.

Going Gatwick > Balham, the price is £16.45.

Its the first time I've encountered this, but does anyone know if this done for any reason?
Buy to Three Bridges, then at least you're looking at £12.05/£11.70 ;)
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top