No covering letter was sent to my address
You don't know that. I think you mean. "No covering letter was received at my address".
No covering letter was sent to my address
Very good point. Thank you.You don't know that. I think you mean. "No covering letter was received at my address".
Thoughts?Very good point. Thank you.
== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==
Subject: Request for Out of Court Settlement
Dear Sir/Madam,
I am writing to you regarding the Single Justice Procedure Notice (SJPN) I received on 23rd May 2024, concerning an incident that occurred on 23rd February 2024, where I travelled without a valid railcard.
Firstly, I would like to sincerely apologise for this oversight. I fully acknowledge that I committed an offence by not having a valid railcard before boarding the train. I understand the importance of adhering to the rules and regulations set by Govia Thameslink Rail, and I deeply regret my mistake.
I have been a regular 16-25 railcard holder since the age of 16, and this has always ensured I travel in compliance with the requirements. Unfortunately, on this occasion, I mistakenly boarded the train without my valid railcard, an error I am very sorry for.
I assure you that this was an unintentional oversight on my part, and I am committed to ensuring that such an incident does not occur again in the future. I have since taken steps to ensure I am always in possession of a valid railcard when traveling.
I would also like to bring to your attention that no covering letter was received at the listed address, which has left me somewhat unclear on the specific details required to respond appropriately.
In light of my sincere apology and commitment to rectifying my behavior, I kindly request the possibility of reaching an out of court settlement. I am willing to discuss any reasonable terms or fines that may be imposed and am eager to resolve this matter amicably and promptly.
Thank you for considering my request. I look forward to your response.
Yours faithfully,
(name)
Good afternoon,
I hope everyone is well.
Yesterday, I received a Single Justice Procedure Notice from Govia Thameslink.
The notice is regarding a journey made between London Bridge and Brighton 3 months ago on 23/2/24.
Tens of Revenue Protection officers boarded the train I was on at Preston Park. I produced my ticket upon inspection, which had a railcard discount on it. I was asked to provide my railcard, however due to poor signalling in the area (Sussex) and the fact I had a new phone which I had not downloaded my Railcard onto yet, there was a delay in producing it. I explained this to the officer and his response was to call others to crowd around the booth I was sat in, whilst informing me he would be turning on his body cam.
After a short time, the railcard was renewed, downloaded and produced, stating its validity from the day of travel (23rd February 2024), until 22nd February 2025. I was informed that this was not sufficient and I was in breach of the law. Consequently, I was ordered to pay a fine of the full amount of an anytime journey, which almost double the amount I had paid previously.
The multiple Revenue Officers surrounding the booth applied pressure on me to pay the fine, insisting it was the right course of action and it would only get worse if I did not do so. I obviously felt intimidated and anxious.
After a short while I asked the first revenue officer exactly how much the fine was. Before he could reply, a different type of officer (I am unsure of who exactly he worked for, but it was not a revenue protection officer), shouted that I would no longer be able to pay the fine anyway, because this was being escalated.
I answered the following questions, which you can view in the attached transcript, then departed at Brighton.
The intimidation tactics left me pretty shaken up. However, my anxiety is now through the roof after receiving this formal notice and decision to either plead guilty or not, with a potential court date.
I have been a railcard holder consistently over the last 9 years since turning 16. This has never been an issue before. I showed the officers my railcard purchase history, they were disinterested. I answered their relevant questions, and politely refused to pay a fine for a valid ticket.
After doing personal research after receiving this notice, which I need to respond to within 20 days, the National Rail Conditions of Travel states, “the railcard must be within its period of validity when you travel” (section 8.1).
The railcard was valid on the date of travel.
Similarly, Section 8.5 states, “
If you are travelling with a Railcard discounted Ticket and are unable to present the Railcard when asked by the staff or authorised agents of a Train Company, you will be treated as having joined a train without a valid Ticket”.”
The ticket was produced, followed by a valid railcard, admittedly with a previously explained delay.
I am seeking any advice with regards to resolution. I cannot afford a criminal conviction as a result of something so ridiculous, I am in the teaching profession. I also cannot believe common sense did not prevail. I believe, due to the massive amount of officers (minimum 20), on that train, there was a quota to fill and I was picked out. Any support would be welcome. Thank you.
(The photo at the top of the transcript is of my railcard, with a time stamp).
Ordinarily this would be ok if you were replying to an initial letter from GTR, but this isn't where you are with this case.Very good point. Thank you.
== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==
Subject: Request for Out of Court Settlement
Dear Sir/Madam,
I am writing to you regarding the Single Justice Procedure Notice (SJPN) I received on 23rd May 2024, concerning an incident that occurred on 23rd February 2024, where I travelled without a valid railcard.
Firstly, I would like to sincerely apologise for this oversight. I fully acknowledge that I committed an offence by not having a valid railcard before boarding the train. I understand the importance of adhering to the rules and regulations set by Govia Thameslink Rail, and I deeply regret my mistake.
I have been a regular 16-25 railcard holder since the age of 16, and this has always ensured I travel in compliance with the requirements. Unfortunately, on this occasion, I mistakenly boarded the train without my valid railcard, an error I am very sorry for.
I assure you that this was an unintentional oversight on my part, and I am committed to ensuring that such an incident does not occur again in the future. I have since taken steps to ensure I am always in possession of a valid railcard when traveling.
I would also like to bring to your attention that no covering letter was received at the listed address, which has left me somewhat unclear on the specific details required to respond appropriately.
In light of my sincere apology and commitment to rectifying my behavior, I kindly request the possibility of reaching an out of court settlement. I am willing to discuss any reasonable terms or fines that may be imposed and am eager to resolve this matter amicably and promptly.
Thank you for considering my request. I look forward to your response.
Yours faithfully,
(name)
== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==
Thoughts?
== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==
Does anyone have an email address for GTR prosecutions by the way?
But you didn't have a valid railcard, so this is untrue.Unfortunately, on this occasion, I mistakenly boarded the train without my valid railcard, an error I am very sorry for.
Yes. Remove “my” and put in “a” and it makes sense.But you didn't have a valid railcard, so this is untrue.
This would read better if it said "I will ensure..."I am committed to ensuring that such an incident does not occur again in the future.
Cut it down to "I kindly request...". As it stands, it says (to me) 'OK, Ive apologised, now give me an easy ride'.In light of my sincere apology and commitment to rectifying my behavior, I kindly request the possibility of reaching an out of court settlement.
Subject: Request for Out of Court SettlementOrdinarily this would be ok if you were replying to an initial letter from GTR, but this isn't where you are with this case.
You need to make it very clear that:
You've received a SJPN
You were surprised to be sent a SJPN without any previous correspendance asking you about the case
Would they consider agreeing to an out of court settlement in return for withdrawing the SJPN
Ideally, ou need to delay replying to the SJPN until you have had a reply from GTR, but do make sure you have responded by the deadline.
Thank you Western.There is an e mail address for GTR prosecutions on other threads. Hopefully correct
gtr.prosecutions@gtrailway.com
It's looking good I thinkSubject: Request for Out of Court Settlement
Dear Sir/Madam,
I am writing to you regarding the Single Justice Procedure Notice (SJPN) I received on 23rd May 2024, concerning an incident that occurred on 23rd February 2024, where I travelled without a valid railcard.
Firstly, I would like to sincerely apologise for this oversight. I fully acknowledge that I committed an offence by boarding the train with an expired railcard. I understand the importance of adhering to the rules and regulations set by Govia Thameslink Rail, and I deeply regret my mistake.
I have been a regular 16-25 railcard holder since the age of 16, and this has always ensured I travel in compliance with the requirements. Unfortunately, on this occasion, I mistakenly boarded the train with an expired railcard, an error I am very sorry for.
I was surprised to receive the SJPN without any previous correspondence asking me about the case. I would also like to bring to your attention that no covering letter was received at the listed address, which has left me somewhat unclear on the specific details required to respond appropriately.
I kindly request the possibility of reaching an out of court settlement in return for withdrawing the SJPN. I am willing to discuss any reasonable terms or fines that may be imposed and am eager to resolve this matter amicably and promptly.
Thank you for considering my request. I look forward to your response.
Yours faithfully,
Is this better?
== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==
Thank you Western.
Subject: Request for Out of Court Settlement
Dear Sir/Madam,
I am writing to you regarding the Single Justice Procedure Notice (SJPN) I received on 23rd May 2024, concerning an incident that occurred on 23rd February 2024, where I travelled without a valid railcard.
Firstly, I would like to sincerely apologise for this oversight. I fully acknowledge that I committed an offence by boarding the train with an expired railcard. I understand the importance of adhering to the rules and regulations set by Govia Thameslink Rail, and I deeply regret my mistake.
I have been a regular 16-25 railcard holder since the age of 16, and this has always ensured I travel in compliance with the requirements. Unfortunately, on this occasion, I mistakenly boarded the train with an expired railcard, an error I am very sorry for.
I was surprised to receive the SJPN without any previous correspondence asking me about the case. I would also like to bring to your attention that no covering letter was received at the listed address, which has left me somewhat unclear on the specific details required to respond appropriately.
I kindly request the possibility of reaching an out of court settlement in return for withdrawing the SJPN. I am willing todiscusspay any reasonable terms or fines that may be imposed and am eager to resolve this matter amicably and promptly.
Thank you for considering my request. I look forward to your response.
Yours faithfully,
References such as the case number?One slight correction - because this isn't really a negotiation between equals - rather, you're begging the railway to be nice to you.
And of course, don't forget to include any references from the SJPN in the version you send (and if you send it by email, in the title of the email as well). You really want to make it easy for the railway to deal with your request!
Yes. You would have to plead guilty anyway; you’re guilty of the offence. Your letter to them is admissible in court, but as the company already has evidence of the offence you don’t need to worry about the letter undermining your defence. It is really only confirming what they know. In any case the letter is fine and appropriately toned, so I think it serves your interests well in that regard.References such as the case number?
What was the one slight correction?
== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==
And, just to clarify, by me sending this, I’m effectively admitting my guilt, so should it go to court I would have to plead guilty?
YesReferences such as the case number?
Sorry - I hoped you'd spot it: in paragraph 5, replace 'discuss' with 'pay'.What was the one slight correction?
Without wanting to send you round this loop again, if it went to court I think you would have to plead guilty - because you are guilty of boarding the train without a valid ticket (and in turn that's because you didn't have a valid railcard when you started using the ticket which needed a railcard).And, just to clarify, by me sending this, I’m effectively admitting my guilt, so should it go to court I would have to plead guilty?
I've not used that e-mail address myself so hope it is correct - I think it was one posted on here by a person who took it off a letter they had had from GTR about a fares infringement -so you may want to do belt and braces and get whatever you send by e-mail also printed off and posted.Is this better?
== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==
Thank you Western.