SS4
Established Member
But with false peaks where does one draw the line instead of shifting false peaks around?
So you use the stock throughout the day, and market it so that it is used. For instance, one often hears of people driving along the M62, because the trains are crowded. Or use splitting more to provide better services to more destinations. There is always a defeatist air about train planning:roll:The two problems with that being that there's no space for lots more services into London/ Glasgow/ Manchester/ Leeds at rush hour and it'd be uneconomic to build lots of stock that was only going to be used for one service a day......
But with false peaks where does one draw the line instead of shifting false peaks around?
2. Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't our punctuality generally worse than Switzerland and Germany? It's all well and good allowing one minute connections but if the inbound train is two minutes late (on time according to our definition of late)
Whilst I agree that some of our connection times are OTT punctuality needs to be fixed before connections are advertised and connections are already secondary to direct trains.
Serious consideration is being given to a peak/off-peak walk-up differential in Switzerland due to capacity constraints primarily between Zürich and Bern as I understand it. Ideally I agree that such a differential should not be necessary and it should not be necessary in many of the UK's regions. However, I would be interested to know how sufficient peak capacity into London could be provided without such a differential and what would happen to the rolling stock in the off-peak periods. I don't think that there is anywhere in Germany where the commuting flows into a centre are comparable within London.If you do not have a peak/off peak walk up fare differential there is no need to draw a line anywhere. You then provide the capacity required at the busiest times rather than carting fresh air around at the very times people do actually want to travel but can't afford to do so.