• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Signals New Cross Gate to Norwood Junction

Status
Not open for further replies.

ikcdab

Member
Joined
3 Feb 2012
Messages
474
Location
Cogload Junction
Hi all, I am looking to build some models of the 1950s concrete signal gantries erected on the southern region.
Pictures of these are difficult to find, there is a poor one in this link https://sremg.org.uk/RlyMag/CompletionOfBrightonLineC-LSignalling.pdf

From this I have created the 3d image below but I am missing details of the steps etc. 50872170_Screenshot2023-02-10090547.jpg.722defcf044fb6281e37e332e2b2e912.jpg

I understand from advice elsewhere that some of these still exist between New Cross Gate and Norwood Junction and I would like to get some pictures of them.

Does anyone on here have any pictures of these signals or is able to get and or know how I might get some?

On another forum, a helpful person posted the picture below.
Can anyone identify the location as it looks as if it is accessible from the station platform? I think this might be Anerley.
4633357076_d300338bac_b-2827822427.jpg.010df34d011b9813c99955237bc5b575.jpg
Many thanks
Regards

Ian
 
Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Skoodle

Member
Joined
26 Apr 2010
Messages
372
That photo is taken at Honor Oak Park on the Up Sussex Slow (Northbound). However, it was taken before the platform was lengthened and replaced. There are numerous other places they can still be seen. Brockley/Forest Hill/Anerly/Penge West etc.
 

zwk500

Veteran Member
Joined
20 Jan 2020
Messages
18,629
Location
Northampton
Also have a look at various cab rides on Youtube. The more recent ones have high definition cameras and you can slow the frames down to pause the video at the right spot.
 

LLivery

Established Member
Joined
13 Jul 2014
Messages
1,717
Location
Southeastern land
I live along this route - the pic is deffo Honor Oak Park.

I've got a few pics with them in but they're not as clear as the pic above (grew out of spotting tbh). If you need a picture of both sides of one, there's one just south of Forest Hill station, just next to a road/path (link). I could have a walk and get a few pics of it tomorrow if you need?
 

ikcdab

Member
Joined
3 Feb 2012
Messages
474
Location
Cogload Junction
I live along this route - the pic is deffo Honor Oak Park.

I've got a few pics with them in but they're not as clear as the pic above (grew out of spotting tbh). If you need a picture of both sides of one, there's one just south of Forest Hill station, just next to a road/path (link). I could have a walk and get a few pics of it tomorrow if you need?
Hi there, that would be brilliant, thanks. Particulrly the steps and ladders.
Thanks!
 

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Joined
7 Apr 2010
Messages
34,307
I live along this route - the pic is deffo Honor Oak Park.

I've got a few pics with them in but they're not as clear as the pic above (grew out of spotting tbh). If you need a picture of both sides of one, there's one just south of Forest Hill station, just next to a road/path (link). I could have a walk and get a few pics of it tomorrow if you need?
If you move the viewpoint on the linked Streetview image you can see quite well how the sloping section has steps cast into it.
 

LLivery

Established Member
Joined
13 Jul 2014
Messages
1,717
Location
Southeastern land
Hi there, that would be brilliant, thanks. Particulrly the steps and ladders.
Thanks!
Noted!

If you move the viewpoint on the linked Streetview image you can see quite well how the sloping section has steps cast into it.
I never noticed it before. I'll see how well my zoom works!

Hi there, that would be brilliant, thanks. Particulrly the steps and ladders.
Thanks!

Took a walk this morning. I got pics through the fence of both the cantilevers on the Up Fast/Slow and the Down Fast (closer to the station). The files are too big for the forum, so the easiest way was to Twitter upload

The Down only covers the fast, so I thought that'd be quite good too. I think that's unique, at least around here anyway.

Couldn't get a great shot of the steps on the Up Cantilever, but the Down is better. Hope that helps!
 
Last edited:

Skoodle

Member
Joined
26 Apr 2010
Messages
372
I've just had a look at some recent route learning video (couple of years old though and only have the Southbound version). It seems only place you'll find them at stations is Forest Hill on northbound platform, Penge West and Anerley. There are plenty of others though between stations.

Forest Hill Northbound
1676211721949.png

Penge West Northbound
1676211832971.png

Penge West Southbound
1676211899367.png

Anerley Northbound
1676211959529.png

Anerley Southbound (Some work has been done around here to the wall, can't remember if it's still there)
1676212002222.png

This one is just before Honor Oak Park
1676212211662.png
 

Deepgreen

Established Member
Joined
12 Jun 2013
Messages
7,485
Location
Gomshall, Surrey
There used to be one of those at Clapham Junction's p16 and it was partly-demolished in, I think, the 1980s, leaving a concrete stump about ten feet high for decades afterwards.
 

zwk500

Veteran Member
Joined
20 Jan 2020
Messages
18,629
Location
Northampton
There used to be one of those at Clapham Junction's p16 and it was partly-demolished in, I think, the 1980s, leaving a concrete stump about ten feet high for decades afterwards.
I'm sure some of the Southern lattice Gantries in other parts used to carry Semaphores! I'm hoping these gantries survive long enough to get ETCS Block markers on them.
 

Deepgreen

Established Member
Joined
12 Jun 2013
Messages
7,485
Location
Gomshall, Surrey
That structure is a cantilever, not a gantry.
Correct, but such structures have been called gantries (wrongly, maybe) for decades. Gantries have a support at each end. It's just a bit cumbersome to say 'signal cantilevered support structure'. What strikes me is how simple and elegant they are compared with some of today's giant structures, which look as if they are designed to last for thousands of years!

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==

I'm sure some of the Southern lattice Gantries in other parts used to carry Semaphores! I'm hoping these gantries survive long enough to get ETCS Block markers on them.
Absolutely - in very many cases. I'm pleasantly surprised that so many of the concrete ones have lasted well enough to see new signal heads mounted thereon. Edit - I found a couple of my shots of the 'before' and 'after' at CJ's p16!

8337800796_d7e4e0cef3_oa.jpg45567423314_50897cd2fb_oa.jpg
 
Last edited:

Railsigns

Established Member
Joined
15 Feb 2010
Messages
2,754
It's just a bit cumbersome to say 'signal cantilevered support structure'.
That is cumbersome, yes, but saying cantilever or bracket is no more cumbersome than incorrectly calling it a gantry.

What strikes me is how simple and elegant they are compared with some of today's giant structures, which look as if they are designed to last for thousands of years!
They are quite nice. I have a couple of old BR photos showing one newly installed without the signal heads, and one loaded onto a flat wagon for delivery to site.
 

Deepgreen

Established Member
Joined
12 Jun 2013
Messages
7,485
Location
Gomshall, Surrey
I've just had a look at some recent route learning video (couple of years old though and only have the Southbound version). It seems only place you'll find them at stations is Forest Hill on northbound platform, Penge West and Anerley. There are plenty of others though between stations.

Forest Hill Northbound
View attachment 128879

Penge West Northbound
View attachment 128880

Penge West Southbound
View attachment 128881

Anerley Northbound
View attachment 128882

Anerley Southbound (Some work has been done around here to the wall, can't remember if it's still there)
View attachment 128883

This one is just before Honor Oak Park
View attachment 128884
Including signal T1 at Anerley.
 

zwk500

Veteran Member
Joined
20 Jan 2020
Messages
18,629
Location
Northampton
I've just had a look at some recent route learning video (couple of years old though and only have the Southbound version). It seems only place you'll find them at stations is Forest Hill on northbound platform, Penge West and Anerley. There are plenty of others though between stations.
It may just be the camera angle but some of those cantilevers appear to have a substantial lean to them!
 

londontransit

Member
Joined
26 May 2021
Messages
214
Location
London
Hi all, I am looking to build some models of the 1950s concrete signal gantries erected on the southern region.
Pictures of these are difficult to find, there is a poor one in this link https://sremg.org.uk/RlyMag/CompletionOfBrightonLineC-LSignalling.pdf

From this I have created the 3d image below but I am missing details of the steps etc. View attachment 128790

I understand from advice elsewhere that some of these still exist between New Cross Gate and Norwood Junction and I would like to get some pictures of them.

Does anyone on here have any pictures of these signals or is able to get and or know how I might get some?

On another forum, a helpful person posted the picture below.
Can anyone identify the location as it looks as if it is accessible from the station platform? I think this might be Anerley.
View attachment 128791
Many thanks
Regards

Ian
Hi all, I am looking to build some models of the 1950s concrete signal gantries erected on the southern region.
Pictures of these are difficult to find, there is a poor one in this link https://sremg.org.uk/RlyMag/CompletionOfBrightonLineC-LSignalling.pdf

From this I have created the 3d image below but I am missing details of the steps etc. View attachment 128790

I understand from advice elsewhere that some of these still exist between New Cross Gate and Norwood Junction and I would like to get some pictures of them.

Does anyone on here have any pictures of these signals or is able to get and or know how I might get some?

On another forum, a helpful person posted the picture below.
Can anyone identify the location as it looks as if it is accessible from the station platform? I think this might be Anerley.
View attachment 128791
Many thanks
Regards

Ian
That image ('Detail of pre-cast concrete post...') I created specially for my post which was incidentally about this very subject (which I assume you have read.) No complaints but it took hours to do based on old Southern plans I found.
 
Last edited:

ikcdab

Member
Joined
3 Feb 2012
Messages
474
Location
Cogload Junction
Hi there, many apologies if I have infringed any copyright. It was your website that encouraged me to go ahead with my models. I can't find the website now so I presume it has been taken down.
 

Annetts key

Established Member
Joined
13 Feb 2021
Messages
3,823
Location
West is best
In my area, bracket is the more common word used by S&T to describe signals that are neither on a straight post or a ‘proper’ gantry.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top