• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Signals in heavy fog

Status
Not open for further replies.

pendolino

Member
Joined
22 Nov 2010
Messages
737
Wrong there are not banner repeaters at Victoria as far as I am aware. And your earlier comment about a driving lisence for train driving, I have been driving 11 years and never had one.

I have a competency licence which gives my name, a truly awful mug shot and the classes of traction I sign. It's a licence to drive trains. Maybe such things are TOC specific.

And, as Railsigns has shown, there are banner repeaters at Vic - I occasionally go into/out of platform 8 which is on the Southeastern side but used for some Southern services. Because of the curve of the platform, it's impossible to see the signal (especially in a two car), so the banner repeater tells you if the signal is off or on. But not what route has been set: Southern drivers need to be on the ball and check the theatre box when the signal comes into view as there's only one route setting we can take onto the down Brighton slow, otherwise you're on the Chatham lines which would be very embarrassing.

While we're on the subject of Vic, does it win the prize for the shortest signal sections on the network? Platforms 18/19 have a starter signal then another signal 50 yards or so further on, before you're even out into the daylight.
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

strange6

Established Member
Joined
9 Jan 2011
Messages
1,920
Location
Wigan, Greater manchester
Yep must be. We are not allowed to drive without it. If we forget it or lose it we have to have a temporary one issued.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Strange, learn when to call it a day yeah. Im not getting into another argument. You can read up on trains all you want its not an issue . Its good your enthusiastic. Like i say, can we call it quits now??

Yup :)
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
I have a competency licence which gives my name, a truly awful mug shot and the classes of traction I sign. It's a licence to drive trains. Maybe such things are TOC specific.

And, as Railsigns has shown, there are banner repeaters at Vic - I occasionally go into/out of platform 8 which is on the Southeastern side but used for some Southern services. Because of the curve of the platform, it's impossible to see the signal (especially in a two car), so the banner repeater tells you if the signal is off or on. But not what route has been set: Southern drivers need to be on the ball and check the theatre box when the signal comes into view as there's only one route setting we can take onto the down Brighton slow, otherwise you're on the Chatham lines which would be very embarrassing.

While we're on the subject of Vic, does it win the prize for the shortest signal sections on the network? Platforms 18/19 have a starter signal then another signal 50 yards or so further on, before you're even out into the daylight.

Our of interest, what traction can you operate? :) Are you a Virgin man?
 

driver9000

Established Member
Joined
13 Jan 2008
Messages
4,568
There is no national train driver's 'licence' although the Railways act requires you to be issued with a SCWID card (Safety Critical Work ID) which would have your grade on it should you be 'safety critical'. I have never been issued with a licence, I have a certificate in my file which carries my competence to drive trains and my TOC issues me with a SCWID card which also carries my driving competence and the traction I sign. I believe there is a plan to introduce a national drivers licence which I'm told will be based on the Sentinel cards issued to Network Rail staff, when and if this will happen I've no idea. My card does bear the words 'driving licence' but it is not a driving licence in the sense of what you are issued by the DVLA for roads. If your TOC uses the the words 'driver licence' then that is their own design of the card, my card looks different to colleagues in other operators who often have multiple cards (travel pass, SCWID and Transec etc) rolled into one when mine are all separate.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
While we're on the subject of Vic, does it win the prize for the shortest signal sections on the network? Platforms 18/19 have a starter signal then another signal 50 yards or so further on, before you're even out into the daylight.


There is a very short section in Brighton station - platform 1?? - which has a mid platform signal heading towards the block end to protect the junction to the Lewes branch. I'm not sure how long it is though.
 
Last edited:

strange6

Established Member
Joined
9 Jan 2011
Messages
1,920
Location
Wigan, Greater manchester
There is a very short section in Brighton station - platform 1?? - which has a mid platform signal heading towards the block end to protect the junction to the Lewes branch. I'm not sure how long it is though.



You and your 142 do get about, don't you? :) The crossing protecting signal and platform signal at Parbold are very close to each other. 30 yards I would say
 

Rugd1022

Member
Joined
19 Feb 2010
Messages
565
Location
Rugby
My company issued us all with a 'driving liscence' a while ago, but we're not required to carry them with us on duty, they're kept in our files in the TL's office. We do have photo ID which we have to carry, plus PTS and 'Skid Card' of course. The liscences were a bit of a rush job and I had to have my pic taken at the end of a very rough twelve hour shift, consequently the pic on the card makes me look like a zombie :roll:

As it happens I'm being assessed tomorrow.... 2,400 tons down the Lickey, lovely ;)

(With apologies for keeping this thread off topic!).
 

pendolino

Member
Joined
22 Nov 2010
Messages
737
Our of interest, what traction can you operate? :) Are you a Virgin man?

Virgin? Out of London Victoria? No, Southern. And just the bog standard Southern traction: 455/456/377

There is no national train driver's 'licence' although the Railways act requires you to be issued with a SCWID card (Safety Critical Work ID) which would have your grade on it should you be 'safety critical'. I have never been issued with a licence, I have a certificate in my file which carries my competence to drive trains and my TOC issues me with a SCWID card which also carries my driving competence and the traction I sign. I believe there is a plan to introduce a national drivers licence which I'm told will be based on the Sentinel cards issued to Network Rail staff, when and if this will happen I've no idea. My card does bear the words 'driving licence' but it is not a driving licence in the sense of what you are issued by the DVLA for roads. If your TOC uses the the words 'driver licence' then that is their own design of the card, my card looks different to colleagues in other operators who often have multiple cards (travel pass, SCWID and Transec) rolled into one when mine are all separate.

Sounds like a national scheme would be a good idea, what you have is totally different to me! I have a licence (as mentioned previously) that also includes PTS, but a separate SCWID card. And an ID badge. And a staff travel pass.

There is a very short section in Brighton station - platform 1?? - which has a mid platform signal heading towards the block end to protect the junction to the Lewes branch. I'm not sure how long it is though.

Yes, I know the one you mean. I think it's a longer distance than that between the signals on 18/19 at Vic, but not by much.

Edit: it's on the line to Hove though (turn left), not Lewes (turn right).
 

driver9000

Established Member
Joined
13 Jan 2008
Messages
4,568
Oops. I have seen the junction in a route map of the station too, no idea where I got Lewes from!
 

ralphchadkirk

Established Member
Joined
20 Oct 2008
Messages
5,754
Location
Essex
kbd; I said what I said out of good faith. I was told that by a driver. I had no reason to disbelieve or question what I was told. So, I said it on here. Now I know I was wrong. I can accept that. I have learnt from my mistake. How are people supposed to learn if they don't make mistakes? People make mistake - see TDK's post.

On another topic, I think it says a lot about you that you come blustering into the middle of a topic clearly with no idea of what goes on on this forum. Strange6 and I get along (well, we didn't to begin with!) and thus we don't take what we say to each other seriously. Perhaps if you spent a little more time reading and a little less time speaking then you would realise this.
As Wittgenstein said "what can be said should be said clearly, and what we cannot talk about must be passed over in silence". Or stfu.

Ooh, a bit of deja-vue there!
 

Minilad

Established Member
Joined
26 Feb 2011
Messages
4,398
Location
Anywhere B link goes
Discussion is fine but as a driver i dont wanna have the facts of the railway confirmed by someone who seems to have an opinion on everything. Dont wanna come across harsh but youve already been proved wrong once and edited your post to try and salvage yourself. Back on topic anyway. The driver should be able to see the aspect at each starting point on a station or a banner will be provided.

I can think of quite a few stations where I cannot see the signal from the platform and no banner is provided either
 
Last edited by a moderator:

Class2ldn

Established Member
Joined
25 Feb 2011
Messages
1,403
There may well be but i cant think of any where i drive. If i do il let ya know :)
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Saying that charing cross doesnt have them but does have off indicators. Platform 3 is a good one. If a train comes in in platform two then the signal is obscured so the only way to tell is looking at the off indicators. Thats where the cd and ra show aswell.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
I correct myself. Plat 5 at charing x has got a banner repeater. Cant remember all the others lol
 

O L Leigh

Established Member
Joined
20 Jan 2006
Messages
5,609
Location
In the cab with the paper
I can think of quite a few stations where I cannot see the signal from the platform and no banner is provided either

I believe I covered this point way back on page three of this thread.

The existence or otherwise of a station platform on approach to a signal has no bearing whatsoever on the requirement to provide a banner repeater. Provided that the signal has adequate sighting from a train travelling at linespeed then it doesn't require a banner repeater at all.

We have just this scenario at Shelford on the 'down' where the next signal is away around the curve and hidden from view from a train making a station stop. However, even when travelling at the full 90mph permitted at that location the signal does not have restricted sighting. Therefore a banner repeater is not provided.

But then this is not a platform starter signal and therefore it is not necessary to check that it shows a proceed aspect before despatching yourself away because you are still OK to proceed out of the platform up to the signal. Where we really are talking about platform starters that are out of view, then yes a banner repeater and/or OFF indicator should be provided to prevent a SASSPAD (or "ding ding away").

O L Leigh
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top