zwk500
Veteran Member
I remain hopeful for a miniaturised Phalanx CIWSJudging by the DfT's current approach to "solving" safety issues, I imagine a station announcement will appear in due course. "If you are a large bird, do NOT go anywhere near the tracks." Presumably it will also be said in a combination of irritating condescension and an annoying shout.
I presume nothing could actually be done to avoid bird strikes in future though, although hopefully rolling stock design in the future will reduce the likelihood of such incidents disabling the train.
More seriously, a reasonable amount can be done with fencing in areas at risk of birds walking near the track (pheasants graze on the ground but are easily panicked and thick as proverbial planks so could fly into the path of a train), bird deterrent equipment such as noise makers, and in vegetation control to avoid nesting/feeding in close proximity to the track.