Hi guys!
I have searched the internet for an answer to this with no result so I come to you learned chaps for advice.
I have built a route for Rail Simulator that covers the old NCB branch from the Walsall - Cannock line at Essington Wood Junction to Hilton Main Colliery with a separate branch to the canal wharf and land sale at Shortheath, about 10 - 12 miles in total. The junction for this branch was at Burslip Road and there was a separate branch at Burslip Rd into the old colliery yard at Holly Bank where the lines workshops were established. At Burslip Road there was a gated grossing over a main road with a "signal box" - at least that is what it was called and photographs show there were two signals on one post to protect the crossing from train movements when the gates were open and, from hazy photographs I can just about make out what look like a signal protecting the branch from the wharf.
I have no details at all to what in inside the signal box in terms of lever frames, signal layouts, interlocking or telegraph/communications equipment but it seems that this Burslip Rd box was the "operating centre", to use a modern term, for the NCB lines.
My question: How is the traffic controlled on such lines or (if anyone with local knowledge can be more specific) on this line in particular?
The network was busy in its heyday and operate a fleet of locos so "one-engine-in-steam" would not have been sufficient.
From what I can see there would be a number of options:
1) full absolute block working with telegraph instruments
2) ditto but with permissive operation
3) staff and ticket working with telephone communications with the key locations (Essington Wood, Shortheath, Hilton Main)
4) telephone dispatch or some variant.
I'm sure someone out there must have some idea.
Paul
I have searched the internet for an answer to this with no result so I come to you learned chaps for advice.
I have built a route for Rail Simulator that covers the old NCB branch from the Walsall - Cannock line at Essington Wood Junction to Hilton Main Colliery with a separate branch to the canal wharf and land sale at Shortheath, about 10 - 12 miles in total. The junction for this branch was at Burslip Road and there was a separate branch at Burslip Rd into the old colliery yard at Holly Bank where the lines workshops were established. At Burslip Road there was a gated grossing over a main road with a "signal box" - at least that is what it was called and photographs show there were two signals on one post to protect the crossing from train movements when the gates were open and, from hazy photographs I can just about make out what look like a signal protecting the branch from the wharf.
I have no details at all to what in inside the signal box in terms of lever frames, signal layouts, interlocking or telegraph/communications equipment but it seems that this Burslip Rd box was the "operating centre", to use a modern term, for the NCB lines.
My question: How is the traffic controlled on such lines or (if anyone with local knowledge can be more specific) on this line in particular?
The network was busy in its heyday and operate a fleet of locos so "one-engine-in-steam" would not have been sufficient.
From what I can see there would be a number of options:
1) full absolute block working with telegraph instruments
2) ditto but with permissive operation
3) staff and ticket working with telephone communications with the key locations (Essington Wood, Shortheath, Hilton Main)
4) telephone dispatch or some variant.
I'm sure someone out there must have some idea.
Paul