• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Signalling fault/cable theft (?) at Newark (eve 21 March)

Status
Not open for further replies.

sh24

Established Member
Joined
28 Sep 2023
Messages
1,522
Location
London
Currently sat at Doncaster on the 1A32 (Leeds to KX). Think I had the exact same issue a year ago!

We are on IC225, so is there still a Newark based Thunderbird?

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==

Just over a year after this...!


Details now on LNER

 
Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

LowLevel

Established Member
Joined
26 Oct 2013
Messages
8,930
Cable theft in the Newark area has been prolific in the last few months with significant disruption caused, not guessing that it's definitely the cause this time.

Given the general chaos their selfish behaviour causes there's quite a few people hoping their burnt out remains are found during one of their escapades but sadly it hasn't happened yet just recently.
 

hexagon789

Veteran Member
Joined
2 Sep 2016
Messages
18,335
Location
Glasgow
Currently sat at Doncaster on the 1A32. Think I had the exact same issue a year ago!

We are on IC225, so is there still a Newark based Thunderbird?

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==

Just over a year after this...!

Looks like 1A32 has been cancelled at Doncaster:


18:40 Leeds to London Kings Cross due 20:52
18:40 Leeds to London Kings Cross due 20:52 will be terminated at Doncaster.

It will no longer call at Grantham, Peterborough and London Kings Cross.
This is due to a fault with the signalling system.
 

renegademaster

Established Member
Joined
22 Jun 2023
Messages
2,224
Location
Croydon
Being held on 1N14 1933 to York sitting at king's cross still. Related?
Nothing seems to be leaving king's cross
 

D1537

Established Member
Joined
11 Jul 2019
Messages
2,096
Location
North Yorkshire
1E21 also sat in Doncaster is a bimode (as are all LNER going north of York today) so could possibly be diverted
 

sh24

Established Member
Joined
28 Sep 2023
Messages
1,522
Location
London
All off mine and on to 1E21 (Edinburgh-KX) for another trip via Spalding on the Joint Line. I'll get to track base Black Carr Jn - Bessacar Junction this time. Little silver lining to every black cloud. :D

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==

Being held on 1N14 1933 to York sitting at king's cross still. Related?
Nothing seems to be leaving king's cross

Yes - everything being held according to LNER.

There is major disruption to LNER services this evening due to a fault with the signalling system between Grantham and Newark North Gate.

Both Northbound and Southbound lines are blocked between Grantham and Newark North Gate. Currently no trains will be leaving London King's Cross.

Disruption is expect until 21:00. Please check your entire journey below.
Based on last year this is a multi-hour event...
 
Last edited by a moderator:

IlkleyRunner

Member
Joined
14 Feb 2024
Messages
24
Location
West Yorkshire
On 1D27 to Leeds currently sat at Peterborough. Not showing any signs of motion. The York train that left Kings Cross just before us sat on the neighbouring platform.
 

sh24

Established Member
Joined
28 Sep 2023
Messages
1,522
Location
London
Off via the Joint Line. Busy but not standing, one small bonus of it being Saturday night

Odd, we have gone straight on towards Newark!

Whereas Hull Trains KX-Beverley is going via Spalding (1H07).
 
Last edited:

IlkleyRunner

Member
Joined
14 Feb 2024
Messages
24
Location
West Yorkshire
We've been sent off to the Newcastle train as have the York passengers. We're supposedly heading off via Lincoln....

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==


And we're moving.
 

sh24

Established Member
Joined
28 Sep 2023
Messages
1,522
Location
London
Now in P1 at Retford, and held here with the Belmond Pullman next to us. Seems an odd decision to make with a diversionary route available but sure there is a good reason.

York-Kings Cross train ahead of us that had been held at Carlton on Trent is moving. Wonder if they have been able to get some signalling back? Traksy is still showing **** in berths north and southbound at Newark.
 

Failed Unit

Established Member
Joined
26 Jan 2009
Messages
9,820
Location
Central Belt
Now in P1 at Retford, and held here with the Belmond Pullman next to us. Seems an odd decision to make with a diversionary route available but sure there is a good reason.
I wonder if the train crew have route knowledge. It isn’t the first time I have not done the diversion as the train can do the route but the crew can’t
 

sh24

Established Member
Joined
28 Sep 2023
Messages
1,522
Location
London
I wonder if the train crew have route knowledge. It isn’t the first time I have not done the diversion as the train can do the route but the crew can’t

Yes but the senior conductor (or whatever LNER call them) did say we would be diverted. The earlier York train is now sat in P3 at Newark and the Pullman is on its way and we have nowhere to go.
 

Failed Unit

Established Member
Joined
26 Jan 2009
Messages
9,820
Location
Central Belt
Yes but the senior conductor (or whatever LNER call them) did say we would be diverted. The earlier York train is now sat in P3 at Newark and the Pullman is on its way and we have nowhere to go.
You could still go via Lincoln, collecting the IC225 passengers (which can’t)
 

RJ

Established Member
Joined
25 Jun 2005
Messages
8,828
Location
Back office
I was at Leeds from 1915 hoping to get the 1940 to London. News of cable theft very slow to filter through, had that been communicated as soon as it was known there might have been a chance of finding another route to London.

The last two trains to London have been cancelled, but I figured that would be the case that the moment I heard cable theft. Not holding out any hope of a reinstatement for a diversion or a rail replacement coach so I have bailed on a CrossCountry out of Leeds to somewhere I can get a coach back!
 

sh24

Established Member
Joined
28 Sep 2023
Messages
1,522
Location
London
You could still go via Lincoln, collecting the IC225 passengers (which can’t)

Would require a reversal at Newark as we (1E21) are already at Retford.

Can only hope they are confident of a speedy fix as the Pullman is just outside Newark.
 

D1537

Established Member
Joined
11 Jul 2019
Messages
2,096
Location
North Yorkshire
Two bimodes (1N31 and 1N32) have left King's Cross. No electric service has departed since 1907 (1D28), and that's sat in the platform at St Neots. I think, but am not sure, that 1N31 and/or 1N32 stopped to pick up its passengers - they both certainly dropped time around there. 1N31 has now stopped out of course at Peterborough to pick up 1N86's passengers.
 
Last edited:

Failed Unit

Established Member
Joined
26 Jan 2009
Messages
9,820
Location
Central Belt
Would require a reversal at Newark as we (1E21) are already at Retford.

Can only hope they are confident of a speedy fix as the Pullman is just outside Newark.
Not impossible as it is a common diversion (although why they wouldn‘t go by Gainsborough in that situation would make no sense unless it is to rescue other passengers) - 1Y86 seems to be heading North agian
 

sh24

Established Member
Joined
28 Sep 2023
Messages
1,522
Location
London
Yes but the senior conductor (or whatever LNER call them) did say we would be diverted. The earlier York train is now sat in P3 at Newark and the Pullman is on its way and we have nowhere to go.

The earlier York has reversed and is now heading back North.

Had a chat with the very nice crew and it seems they signed Spalding but the driver didn't. They also seemed bemused as to why we had gone forward. No other option to get to London tonight, so I'll sit this out for another hour and then decide whether to bail off and get a hotel here or head to Sheffield.
 

Failed Unit

Established Member
Joined
26 Jan 2009
Messages
9,820
Location
Central Belt
The earlier York has reversed and is now heading back North.

Had a chat with the very nice crew and it seems they signed Spalding but the driver didn't. They also seemed bemused as to why we had gone forward. No other option to get to London tonight, so I'll sit this out for another hour and then decide whether to bail off and get a hotel here or head to Sheffield.
I see it is an electric set, so I guess the don’t want to use the Donkey engines via Lincoln.
 

Dave S 56F

Member
Joined
23 Jun 2020
Messages
236
Location
Cleckheaton west yorkshire
I'm on the grand Central train after going to the bluebell steam gala, supposed to have left at 20:00, we left approx 20:35. We were diverted and won't arrive in Doncaster until 23:15 approx.

I need to get to Wakefield to pick up my bike, fortunately the train terminates at Wakefield Kirkgate. I suppose LNER will offer compensation or partial refund as I booked through LNER for my morning train and evening train back home ran by grand Central for the service been severely disrupted due to vandalism of signalling cable in Newark possibly.

I received a message confirming this from LNER.
 
Last edited by a moderator:

sh24

Established Member
Joined
28 Sep 2023
Messages
1,522
Location
London
I see it is an electric set, so I guess the don’t want to use the Donkey engines via Lincoln.

Yes indeed. The Pullman is now on its way via Hykeham to Lincoln and onwards. just sat at Newark in P3. I had assumed DB Cargo would have knowledge to go via Hykeham and Lincoln, maybe not. Last Sheffield train is 22:51 so 22:40 is the cut off for bailing.
 
Last edited:

Silver Cobra

Member
Joined
4 Jun 2015
Messages
1,008
Location
Bedfordshire
I guess I should count myself lucky that I passed through the area around an hour or so before this all kicked off (I travelled on 1A29, the 1710 from Leeds to Kings Cross)

We are on IC225, so is there still a Newark based Thunderbird?
From what I saw at Newark during our scheduled stop there earlier I spotted a Colas Rail class 67 with 'East Coast Thunderbird' markings on it.
 

Intercity_225

Member
Joined
13 Jan 2024
Messages
601
Location
March
The York - Kings Cross charter is now being sent to Lincoln from Newark and will (presumably) continue via the Joint Line to Peterborough.
 

sh24

Established Member
Joined
28 Sep 2023
Messages
1,522
Location
London
Looks like we will be moving in a bit, likely talked through the area. 18:31 ex Leeds (1Y19) is going through first. Northbound service from Grantham moving too.
 

londonmidland

Established Member
Joined
22 Dec 2009
Messages
2,378
Location
Leicester
Probably to no ones surprise, It has been confirmed that the fault has been caused by a theft of signalling cables.
 

D1537

Established Member
Joined
11 Jul 2019
Messages
2,096
Location
North Yorkshire
Where is 1Z94 going? According to Traksy it's turned left at Pyewipe Jc back north.

Edit: and now heading south again. I can only assume there was a reason to reverse, perhaps to have the rear 67 leading.
 

sh24

Established Member
Joined
28 Sep 2023
Messages
1,522
Location
London
Where is 1Z94 going? According to Traksy it's turned left at Pyewipe Jc back north.

..and now reversed and moving towards Lincoln. It lost a bit of time much earlier (pre theft disruption) so I wonder if one of the 67's is poorly and they wanted to turn the train?
 

Intercity_225

Member
Joined
13 Jan 2024
Messages
601
Location
March
..and now reversed and moving towards Lincoln. It lost a bit of time much earlier (pre theft disruption) so I wonder if one of the 67's is poorly and they wanted to turn the train?
It's been said that one of the 67s was smoking underneath near Doncaster. Unsure which one though.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top