• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Signallers at littleport

Status
Not open for further replies.

bendy1986

Member
Joined
2 Nov 2016
Messages
36
I've been offered the job as a signaller at littleport. I've passed the medical and been told that I could be starting signaller school in February.
What is the box like at littleport? How busy is it and what are the shift patterns like?
What is the training like?
Is there any other advice on the position and the training and any info on the littleport box?
I really can't wait to get started on this new career. Certainly feeling excited.
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

nom de guerre

Member
Joined
24 Nov 2015
Messages
801
I've been offered the job as a signaller at littleport. I've passed the medical and been told that I could be starting signaller school in February.
What is the box like at littleport? How busy is it and what are the shift patterns like?
What is the training like?
Is there any other advice on the position and the training and any info on the littleport box?
I really can't wait to get started on this new career. Certainly feeling excited.

Welcome to the grade!

I'm surprised you've got this far without having visited the box, and with so many very basic queries seemingly unanswered.

Most managers like candidates to visit the box before the interview - it shows enthusiasm, gives you a chance to quiz the signaller on duty and, perhaps most importantly, allows you to see if you like the look of the place! If you haven't already, contact your LOM (manager) and arrange a visit.

Re your queries: was there not an opportunity to ask questions towards the end of your interview? Is there nothing online? Without wishing to sound harsh, this is all pretty basic research.

Judging by RTT, you're looking at a maximum of four or five trains per hour - two per hour, off peak - but you'll be operating a manual crossing (which, according to the local Parish Council minutes, there are no immediate plans to automate). So; quiet, but you'll be obliged to open and close the barriers at all times, in all types of weather, while 'interacting' with potentially frustrated (car) drivers.

Info found very quickly and easily, via the usual search engine.
 

bendy1986

Member
Joined
2 Nov 2016
Messages
36
I've got a visit coming up and I did try to arrange one before the interview but didn't get a date in time. I already knew about the crossing but didn't know about the plans not to automate.

Sorry I didn't go into more info about what I'd asked at the interview and what i tried to arrange to do. I didn't think it was needed in the opening post. Thanks for the info though.
 

MylesHSG

Member
Joined
3 Oct 2016
Messages
221
Excellent, I assume you'll be on the TCB course at Basingstoke when mine finishes beginning of February.
 

carriageline

Established Member
Joined
11 Jan 2012
Messages
1,897
I've been told I'm going to peterborough for the course.



Be interesting to know how, Peterborough shut a few years ago!! All courses are now (normally) done at York and Basingstoke ROCs


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 

flappy8

Member
Joined
20 Feb 2016
Messages
48
Be interesting to know how, Peterborough shut a few years ago!! All courses are now (normally) done at York and Basingstoke ROCs


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

no so true now - there are courses in Bristol in the New Year
 

NX

Member
Joined
6 Jan 2014
Messages
320
I've been told there's a chance my course could be in Bristol, suits me being over the water
 

techybit

Member
Joined
15 Jan 2017
Messages
7
I've been offered the job as a signaller at littleport. I've passed the medical and been told that I could be starting signaller school in February.
What is the box like at littleport? How busy is it and what are the shift patterns like?
What is the training like?
Is there any other advice on the position and the training and any info on the littleport box?
I really can't wait to get started on this new career. Certainly feeling excited.

Congratulations! I applied for this role but failed to get through the Interview! But I've passed the interview for another in Norfolk :)

I'd love to work out the shift patterns now! But I've tried and got nowhere fast. Keep getting stuck at how it rotates and how the hours average out.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top