Thunder_Dave
New Member
- Joined
- 21 Jan 2015
- Messages
- 3
Hi, read this forum a good few times in the past, always good info, so sorry if my first post is bit negative.
Applied for an 8 month FT signaller position circa mid August online, got invited to an online test, passed it, so went to a panel interview in another city. Manager called me up couple of days later and me I'd got the job and to expect a letter. Got the email attachment and upload to the NR career site on my account, then another asking me to call to schedule a medical at Bupa. Called it and booked for yet another city, turned up but apparently the nurse called in sick and they emailed me to say so. Checked my email and they never did nor did Network Rail, so I returned home, 100 round trip for nothing. Fair enough, these things happen. Called up the medical scheduling department of NR, explained what happened, they said no problem and booked it again but in another different city this time, attended and passed all hearing and tests etc.
After a few days I get a call from Network Rail asking if I'd sent back the letter from after the interview, said I never got it must have been due to me moving, gave them my new address and they sent again. When it arrived I sent it back, all the forms, pension, bank stuff etc.
Now I applied as said mid August but the interview was in September time and the medical after that, I last called them on December 20th and they said all is good, we're just waiting for the referee they spoke with to send back the details and we'll get your start date out to you. Its now another another 4 weeks later and still not heard a thing from them and last update for the position on their site was Nov 23rd. I checked my salary and acceptance letter again and the end date for this post is March 31st!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
My question is, how can I do this job now if it finishes in about 9 weeks and the training at the centre takes 9 weeks? Have they made a mistake in the end date on the letter or are they just fobbing me off and not wanting to tell me there is no job now? Hoping I go away.
I've heard the process takes a long time and even longer for train drivers but if this is the case and they haven't had the decency to let me know then I'll be disappointed to say the least, having spent money to get to various appointments for them and turned down other jobs for it. Would they really do this. Not sure weather to give them another call end of January or just leave it now, see no way how I can start this. Applied thinking I'd be getting 8 months salary and as time got on I worried about only getting 2-3 months money but its looking like I won't even get that. Now the only fault I see I've made is not giving them in the interview my new address due to all the nerves/excitement or calling them after to update, thinking the redirected post would catch it, however I did tell them on the application and it was discussed in the interview itself too, as I was moving closer to the job, On the phone they mentioned no problem with this. This is my first experience with Network Rail or any rail type job.
Thanks so much for any pointers.
Applied for an 8 month FT signaller position circa mid August online, got invited to an online test, passed it, so went to a panel interview in another city. Manager called me up couple of days later and me I'd got the job and to expect a letter. Got the email attachment and upload to the NR career site on my account, then another asking me to call to schedule a medical at Bupa. Called it and booked for yet another city, turned up but apparently the nurse called in sick and they emailed me to say so. Checked my email and they never did nor did Network Rail, so I returned home, 100 round trip for nothing. Fair enough, these things happen. Called up the medical scheduling department of NR, explained what happened, they said no problem and booked it again but in another different city this time, attended and passed all hearing and tests etc.
After a few days I get a call from Network Rail asking if I'd sent back the letter from after the interview, said I never got it must have been due to me moving, gave them my new address and they sent again. When it arrived I sent it back, all the forms, pension, bank stuff etc.
Now I applied as said mid August but the interview was in September time and the medical after that, I last called them on December 20th and they said all is good, we're just waiting for the referee they spoke with to send back the details and we'll get your start date out to you. Its now another another 4 weeks later and still not heard a thing from them and last update for the position on their site was Nov 23rd. I checked my salary and acceptance letter again and the end date for this post is March 31st!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
My question is, how can I do this job now if it finishes in about 9 weeks and the training at the centre takes 9 weeks? Have they made a mistake in the end date on the letter or are they just fobbing me off and not wanting to tell me there is no job now? Hoping I go away.
I've heard the process takes a long time and even longer for train drivers but if this is the case and they haven't had the decency to let me know then I'll be disappointed to say the least, having spent money to get to various appointments for them and turned down other jobs for it. Would they really do this. Not sure weather to give them another call end of January or just leave it now, see no way how I can start this. Applied thinking I'd be getting 8 months salary and as time got on I worried about only getting 2-3 months money but its looking like I won't even get that. Now the only fault I see I've made is not giving them in the interview my new address due to all the nerves/excitement or calling them after to update, thinking the redirected post would catch it, however I did tell them on the application and it was discussed in the interview itself too, as I was moving closer to the job, On the phone they mentioned no problem with this. This is my first experience with Network Rail or any rail type job.
Thanks so much for any pointers.