• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Signal Man Job Experience

Status
Not open for further replies.

43021HST

Established Member
Joined
11 Sep 2008
Messages
1,565
Location
Taunton
Where do I go and what do I do to apply for Signal man job experience. which is part of the job experience you do in Seconary School because I getting to that time please help.
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

First class

Established Member
Joined
9 Aug 2008
Messages
2,731
You're question seems a little confused- do you want temporary work experience as a signalman or do you want to know what qualifications/part time work you need to undertake?

If you want temporary work experience on the 'real' railway - it's not going to happen, sadly. You may find it useful contacting some heritage railways to see if you can go there as they may have working signal boxes. They tend to switch the 'automatic' ones to 'manual' in busy Summer times.

Study:
English Language, Maths, Biol, Chem & Physics [Sciences] are always the essential building blocks.
Perhaps think about Design Technology- Electronics.
Geography (You will have to deal with co-ordinates/maps)
Physical Education (PE) Always good to be fit- and know how to keep fit. Useful for medical(s).
Computing/IT
and then if you can do any more subjects try to do things you like doing, not particularly linked to being a signaller.

You may find it useful emailing Network Rail and asking for a 'Job Specification' for a signaller. It will give you very detailed and precise information, probably quite technical in parts.
 

Jordy

Established Member
Joined
9 Jun 2005
Messages
8,466
Location
WCML South
If you want temporary work experience on the 'real' railway - it's not going to happen, sadly. You may find it useful contacting some heritage railways to see if you can go there as they may have working signal boxes. They tend to switch the 'automatic' ones to 'manual' in busy Summer times.

Maybe not signalling, but a few people on here have had work experience on the railways before! Most notable was Coxster (Well, Clockhouse as he is now known), there was a blog on his website but thats gone now.

Clockhouse said:
When I was 15 I did work experience with South West Trains. This included a cab ride, accompanying a guard for a couple of days, a visit to a signal box, a visit to the control room and a few other bits and bobs. Not sure if they still offer it though, but might still be worth getting in touch with them if they are convenient for you to get to. When I did mine, I contacted the recruitment address myself - rather than going through the school - who dealt with everything. A few months later a mate of mine went for it but he was just on a platform for two weeks. Still on the railway though and agreed it was still better than being in a shop for a fortnight.

Try searching the forum for "Work experience" there are quite a few useful results!

Jordy
 

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Joined
7 Aug 2005
Messages
21,191
Location
0035
I believe 'DescendingSadly' was based with a MOM and spent some time in a 'box. When I did mine back in 2004 I was in a DMU maintenance depot.
 

33056

Established Member
Joined
12 Nov 2007
Messages
2,424
Location
On a train somewhere in Europe
The only company you will get signalbox experience with is Network Rail. It might be worth getting in contact with your local area to see if they can accomodate such a request, but I would not get too hopeful.
 

AlexS

Established Member
Joined
7 Jun 2005
Messages
2,886
Location
Just outside the Black Country
Try a local preserved line - lots of these do shunting during the week and have their boxes open as a result.

I wouldn't be hopeful of NR letting you do work experience in a 'box however. They do tend to be a bit tight on who is allowed in there these days.
 

GB

Established Member
Joined
16 Nov 2008
Messages
6,562
Location
Somewhere
When I did my school work exp I spent the two weeks in a couple of manual signal boxes as well as a buiser power singnal box.

Managed to get a ride out with a guard and a cab ride, but this was back in 2000 under Railtrack so things may or may not be a little different know.

Might be worth a try though.
 

metrocammel

Verified Rep - Retro Railtours
Joined
11 Aug 2005
Messages
954
If you want temporary work experience on the 'real' railway - it's not going to happen, sadly. You may find it useful contacting some heritage railways to see if you can go there as they may have working signal boxes. They tend to switch the 'automatic' ones to 'manual' in busy Summer times.

As Jordy has said, I've not heard about Work Experience with NR, but WE 'on the real railway' seems to be quite common.

I did my work experience with Northern back in 2006. I spent 2 weeks in various parts of the company, ranging from shadowing a depot fitter at Newton Heath, doing some number crunching work in the Payroll department to having cabrides to exotic destinations such as Buxton and Bolton. Oh, I also got to do the station announcing at Bolton - which was different!

With mine, as my school wasn't very pro-active when it came to Work Experience, I contacted the HR department myself, and sorted it out. Depending on how your college / school treat Work Experience, it may be a good idea to contact your local TOCs HR department, and see if they can accommodate you.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top