• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Signal Box Timetable Directory from 1885

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wallace Gricer

New Member
Joined
29 Oct 2021
Messages
2
Location
East Sussex
Hi all, I'm new here and looking for some advice:

I've been having a sort-out today, and while doing so, I found what appears to be a signal box timetable directory dated July 1885. It features London, Surrey, and Sussex. I will attach some pictures below. I would like to know if that is indeed what it is, and if it is worth anything. If more pictures are needed, I can provide them.

Many thanks,
Wallace

Signal1.jpg

Signal2.jpg

Signal4.jpg
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

John Webb

Established Member
Joined
5 Jun 2010
Messages
3,779
Location
St Albans
I'm pretty certain this is a "Working Time-Table" (usually abbreviated to WTT) which would have been issued to stations, goods yards, signal boxes, engine sheds and railway workers as required. It is much more detailed than the public passenger timetable as it would include the movements of goods trains, empty passenger stock and light engines.

I've no idea of any value. It should be handled with care and preferably stored away from light to minimise any further deterioration; they used cheap paper which gradually oxidises and dries out and becomes very liable to disintegrate!
 

Gloster

Veteran Member
Joined
4 Sep 2020
Messages
13,028
Location
Up the creek
It looks like a Working Timetable. If it is fairly complete it is likely to be worth at least what it would cost to sell it: I have no idea of actual prices. Alternatively, it could be of interest as a donation to one of the societies in order to give it a good home. The Brighton Circle ( www.lbscr.org ) covers the London, Brighton & South Coast Railway, which seems to be the company that issued it.
 

Ken H

Established Member
Joined
11 Nov 2018
Messages
6,718
Location
N Yorks
Timetableword have special scanners that can scan a book without making it flat to go o a normal scanner. Why not chat to Matthew. Go to timetableworld.com * to get contact details. He would seek to publish the images on the website though, which he hosts and manages for free to help share timetable images.

the kit used is Czur ET16 or ET18. You can find thise with Google. They take a photo of the open page, and use lasers to map the cdurves of the open pages. They use the laser data to 'flatten' the image. I have an ET16

* Website of images of public transport timetables. little written content.
 

Gloster

Veteran Member
Joined
4 Sep 2020
Messages
13,028
Location
Up the creek
How would I get in contact with the Brighton Circle?
On the www.lbscr.org page there is a highlighted link to the Brighton Circle in the fourth paragraph. This leads to a page headed Aims and Objectives and on this page there are highlighted links to Dave Searle, the Circle’s Chairman, and to its Secretary. Sorry about the roundabout way of doing it: I am not computer literate.
 

John Webb

Established Member
Joined
5 Jun 2010
Messages
3,779
Location
St Albans
Two further places that would be happy to have it would be either the National Archives at Kew or the National Railway Museum at York. Both have the facilities to store old paperwork in the best conditions to minimise further deterioration and to allow access for research.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top