• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Shunter at South west trains

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stuart-h

Member
Joined
27 Feb 2013
Messages
324
Does any one in railway world know what MB2 Shunter is like?

Ie any tests and interviews??
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

carriageline

Established Member
Joined
11 Jan 2012
Messages
1,897
Is that the shunter role at clapham?

But yes, assessments and interview. I went through the process a little while ago and was offered the role
 

Stuart-h

Member
Joined
27 Feb 2013
Messages
324
Think thats at Bournmouth depot.

Can i pick your brains a little carriageline?
Whats the assessments and interview's like? Are they at the same sort of leval as a driver grade at all?
 

carriageline

Established Member
Joined
11 Jan 2012
Messages
1,897
Not the same at all mate. The assessments are okay. They will send you a practice booklet, and they are near enough exactly the same as in there!

Assessments were mainly simple maths, simple English skills, and some fault finding/number searching (hard to explain you will see what I mean!)
You also do a comms test, where they give you a passage of info, and you must relay the critical information (not too bad, I got 100% on it first time! So relatively easy), the interview was more technical than I expected it to be (asked questions such as what would you do if a conpot was 'fizzing'), but I don't think they are essential for external candidates.

They did ask me questions such as what routes/stock do they use though.
 

Stuart-h

Member
Joined
27 Feb 2013
Messages
324
Cheers for that! Give me something to worrie about if i make it through the first screening!
 

Mike11

Member
Joined
8 Jan 2014
Messages
30
It's an amazing job but can also be very dangerous. My father is a shunter at the depot and it's something I wanna do but I've only been at SWT for 3 months and I can't go for it until I've done 6 months service. Good luck mate I hope it all works out and I'll hopefully see you there 1 day!!
 

Stuart-h

Member
Joined
27 Feb 2013
Messages
324
Cheers Mike. Im fairly easy to spot. Just look for someone looking totally lost & walking backwards! Lol
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top