• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Shrewsbury to Birmingham trains splitting/joining?

Status
Not open for further replies.

OA2011

Member
Joined
3 Oct 2013
Messages
8
It's been a moderate time since I've been to Shrewsbury, but I always saw 2 Arriva Trains Wales 158's splitting/joining at Shrewsbury from Aberystwyth/Holyhead to Birmingham International, as I got this train to Smethwick Galton Bridge.

As it's been about a year since I last saw the service, I was wondering if anyone could help me out, as I've started hearing about splits at Machynlleth?

Does the train no longer split at Shrewsbury, split twice, or on different days?

Thanks
OA2011
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Rich McLean

Established Member
Joined
6 Feb 2012
Messages
1,757
It's been a moderate time since I've been to Shrewsbury, but I always saw 2 Arriva Trains Wales 158's splitting/joining at Shrewsbury from Aberystwyth/Holyhead to Birmingham International, as I got this train to Smethwick Galton Bridge.

As it's been about a year since I last saw the service, I was wondering if anyone could help me out, as I've started hearing about splits at Machynlleth?

Does the train no longer split at Shrewsbury, split twice, or on different days?

Thanks
OA2011

The Holyhead trains split and couple at Shrewsbury. Most of the Cambrian trains split and join at Machynlleth.

You also have the hourly LM Halts service
 

GarethJohn

Member
Joined
4 Aug 2014
Messages
251
Location
Powys
Or on some occasions terminate the last Train from Birmingham on Platform 3 and restart the journey on Platform 4,5 or 6 at least if it's on time their is plenty of time to walk it.
 

Philip

On Moderation
Joined
27 May 2007
Messages
3,734
Location
Manchester
A few years ago 175s used to make occasional appearances on Chester to Birmingham services, still standing in for 158s I think. Does this still happen at all on Holyhead-Birminghams?
 

PHILIPE

Veteran Member
Joined
14 Nov 2011
Messages
13,472
Location
Caerphilly
I can't turn up the thread re 158s now, but the basic plan with differences early morning and night is this:-

4 Car trains divide/attach at Machynlleth as 1 portion for Aberystwyth and the other on the Coast.

The trains from Aberystwyth/Pwllheli are thus 4 coaches thro' to Birmingham and return with a train to Holyhead. These detach the rear 2 cars at Shrewsbury and these then attach a short time later to a Holyhead to Birmingham and these trains return to Aberystwyth/Pwllheli.

This means that trains are always 4 cars between Shrewsbury and Machynlleth and between Shrewsbury and Birmingham. As a poster has already said an exception is the 09 30 from Aberystwyth and on the return 4 cars continue to North Wales after detaching at Shrewsbury.

Re 175s:-

www.railforums.co.uk/showthread.php?t=96567 Post #18.
 

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
Joined
22 Feb 2011
Messages
21,935
Location
Mold, Clwyd
A few years ago 175s used to make occasional appearances on Chester to Birmingham services, still standing in for 158s I think. Does this still happen at all on Holyhead-Birminghams?

I think 175s are more likely to show up on Sundays when there is less interworking with the Cambrian services.
 

David Goddard

Established Member
Joined
8 Aug 2011
Messages
1,515
Location
Ely
We saw this in action two weeks ago, I had wondered how far the pairings went on the Birmingham - North Wales services. They split and then join again in P4 at Shrewsbury, works for all.
 

merlodlliw

Established Member
Joined
8 Mar 2009
Messages
5,852
Location
Wrexham/ Denbighshire /Flintshire triangle
Sounds Ike WG have paid for an average cost per train km rather than actual?

Its five years funding at £1.2million a year to ATW from WG revenue account until new franchise takes over, not a mention of summer Sundays on the Fishguard line,what would be a big tourist day. I hope the new WG rail portfolio Minister from Septembers reshuffle will announce any rail changes before the recess. as appears to be the current method,
 
Last edited:

Gareth Marston

Established Member
Joined
26 Jun 2010
Messages
6,231
Location
Newtown Montgomeryshire
Its five years funding at £1.2million a year to ATW from WG revenue account until new franchise takes over, not a mention of summer Sundays on the Fishguard line,what would be a big tourist day. I hope the new WG rail portfolio Minister from Septembers reshuffle will announce any rail changes before the recess. as appears to be the current method,

Easy to work out what the extra Cambrian costs will be on a average cost per train KM then.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
The 0731 from Salop to BHM INTL is proposed as a 6 car from Dec 14. 4 car existing 0514 from Aberystwyth combining with 0640 ex Crewe. The 0514 currently parks up in 5 at Salop will have to go into 4 now. Given that there's often a freight floating around heading north at that time they'll have to reopen the freight avoiding lines that have been clipped out for some time.
 

OA2011

Member
Joined
3 Oct 2013
Messages
8
Easy to work out what the extra Cambrian costs will be on a average cost per train KM then.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
The 0731 from Salop to BHM INTL is proposed as a 6 car from Dec 14. 4 car existing 0514 from Aberystwyth combining with 0640 ex Crewe. The 0514 currently parks up in 5 at Salop will have to go into 4 now. Given that there's often a freight floating around heading north at that time they'll have to reopen the freight avoiding lines that have been clipped out for some time.

By ex Crewe, do you mean the train just come back from Crewe, or an ex service that used to go to Crewe? I was wondering if you might also have a link to this new join in December?

Also, it would appear the Crewe is/was a two car... Is that to be a 158 as well?

Thanks
OA2011
 

Gareth Marston

Established Member
Joined
26 Jun 2010
Messages
6,231
Location
Newtown Montgomeryshire
By ex Crewe, do you mean the train just come back from Crewe, or an ex service that used to go to Crewe? I was wondering if you might also have a link to this new join in December?

Also, it would appear the Crewe is/was a two car... Is that to be a 158 as well?

Thanks
OA2011

2 car unit starting from Crewe to Shrewsbury calls at Nantwich, Whitchurch and Wem. Merlodliw Has PDFs if you pm him. Seems very likely to be 158 as the rear unit at Shrewsbury the 0640 ex Crewe forms the 0908 INtL to Holyhead and then a Holyhead to INTL return.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top