• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Should you be allowed to sit in 1st class if 2nd class is full?

Status
Not open for further replies.

AM9

Veteran Member
Joined
13 May 2014
Messages
16,061
Location
St Albans
100% agreed. Except in one respondent's post. (Or where ticket inspectors may feel you look like an unlikely first-class cohort)
Unlike first class on aircraft, (there is no dress code - other than being clean enought to not soil the seats), - which is the same as for standard class.
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

vinnym70

Member
Joined
3 Sep 2017
Messages
217
I've flown first class many times in a dishevelled state. Sometimes it just goes with the territory. I've never smelled but I've looked far from the norm for that cabin.

Maybe sometimes it's about the differential paid? If I can afford, let's say, £2,500 extra to fly first class, I'm probably rightfully there in that cabin.

But being able to afford tens of pounds extra for train first class raises suspicion?
 

miklcct

Established Member
Joined
2 May 2021
Messages
5,017
Location
Cricklewood
And if the most expensive standard class ticket was £20 to £30 then your argument would have some merit, but when a standard class ticket can be approaching £100 or more, then the 'expect poor service because it's cheap' argument doesn't hold water because it is not cheap. When you reach those prices its reasonable to expect some basic level of service, like the railway company making some reasonable endeavors to ensure you have a seat.
In such case I expect the railways to decrease the price, rather than increase the level of the service.

@miklcct, dare I ask which class you normally use? (Seatfrog doesn't count).

You're either a frequent user of 1st and don't want the great unwashed in, or you're bizarrely deferential...
I only use standard class. I have only paid for non-standard-class travel once in my life, which was on an Aeroflot flight between Asia and Europe. Aeroflot was known to offer premium economy fares cheaper than the economy fares by other operators, and sometimes its own fares as well, between the same destination pairs, and that instance I can't remember it was because of the premium economy fare actually cheaper than economy on the same flight, or the price was close enough for me that the additional perks became worthwhile.

I know someone who frequently travels in the first class on trains in order to show off his wealth.

The only instance I will consider paying for a first class ticket in the UK is when a First Class Advance is the cheapest ticket on offer valid on the train I want.

I'd class myself as wealthy enough to afford first class but I'd not dress up for it. 'Exclusively for the wealthy' is a bizarre measure - and I'd love to know how you might attempt to enforce it?
It needs not to be enforced. It just need to be priced at a level which only the wealthy will consider it, comparable to the exclusiveness of a first class seat on British Airways long-haul flight. Of course, the first class space has to be small and luxury enough as well for the exclusiveness to be implemented (so the Southern's 377 so-called "First Class" shouldn't exist at all and should be converted to standard class).
 

BJames

Established Member
Joined
27 Jan 2018
Messages
1,464
First class is for those that choose (and can) afford the higher price. It has no absolute relationship with any concept of 'the wealthy'.
Indeed - besides, I semi-regularly take first class if there are any good advance prices available (which there have been recently on EMR, so it's worked perfectly for me). I would not choose to pay the walk-up first class fare, but I would not expect to be let in to first on my standard ticket either. I am certainly not "wealthy".
 

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Joined
20 Oct 2014
Messages
113,762
Location
"Marston Vale mafia"
Indeed - besides, I semi-regularly take first class if there are any good advance prices available (which there have been recently on EMR, so it's worked perfectly for me). I would not choose to pay the walk-up first class fare, but I would not expect to be let in to first on my standard ticket either. I am certainly not "wealthy".

Plenty of people use the likes of Seatfrog to travel in 1st when definitely not wealthy. A lot of them are on here. I think it's often the case that these (including me when I've done things like that when younger) can be the most demanding customers - certainly I used to make sure I consumed enough freebies to cover the difference. Whereas now I just want the more comfortable seat and don't care for freebies at all.
 

AndrewP

Member
Joined
5 Sep 2011
Messages
497
Unlike first class on aircraft, (there is no dress code - other than being clean enought to not soil the seats), - which is the same as for standard class.
There is no dress code in first on aircraft either - just clean and decent in any class.

My decision on first is the 'Pret Test' - does it cost less than a Pret sandwich meal and a couple of coffees (I drink a lot of coffee) plus a slight comfort premium to travel first if so I'll pay the difference
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top