Could you please explain how the values you have quoted have been calculated. From memory I understand that the class 158 and 158 have a three step brake controller, and that the brake retardation at each step is nominally 3%, 6% and 9%g respectively. I don’t think there is a step 4. 67% brake force would require a step 2 brake application which should result in 6%g retardation and would require a minimum wheel/rail coefficient of friction of around 0.065.
Rebmcr is correct. A bit of a side track, but I feel sure a correlation will be obvious between Salisbury and the HST incident. ( lessons not learnt, notwithstanding tribometry is not exact, especially with low clasping force )
HST class 43 and stock-- class 254, 2 plus 8 I think? Has a maximum braking performance of 11 percent g nominal established. Thus with 6 braking steps ( full service and emergency being equal) each step is nominal 1.83 percent g. Therefore step 4 will be nominal 7.3 percent g. Step 3 would be 5.49 percent g nominal. Regarding the HST incident braking point, step 3 would not of stopped the train before red. Step 4 would stop the train well before red. Therefore it has to be step 4, which is 67 percent of maximum, i.e. 4 divided by 6 and multiplied by 100. Step 4 requires mu of about 0.073, which would of done the job. The investigation was incompetent.
The physics I refer to is all over Railway Group Standards. It simply comes down to basic dynamics and kinematics and suvat. These subjects form no part of driver training.
The mathematical physics is not complex, it is simply part of a normal education. A normal education is a requirement of the Train Drivers Licence. I did this level of maths at Secondary Modern in the 70s' RSSB have stated to me " some learners would not have a preference" the ORR stated "half the drivers would not understand". I replied that would include half of the competence managers.
During my time driving class 150/158, the braking performance was subject to nuances , as the engineers experimented with different friction mediums etc. I don't think they are classed as 9 percent g braking traction?
Aside, When assessing braking performance, brake force build up time has to be factored. The extra displacement is subject to the propagation of air and inertia.
The Rail Authorities are not keen on what I advocate even though it is a requirement of law. It all comes down to Corporate Governance and cost risk analysis.
The RAIB have never answered my question regarding Croydon.
Q. 49 percent of the drivers brake at the second tunnel gap; so where do the other 51 percent brake? Why this polarised braking mentality?
A. Not a sausage.
I have also questioned the RAIB on numerous other incidents and they just ignore, or state up is down. I just see it for what it is.
Why wouldn't you be allowed to use the brake gauge? That seems quite odd. I think that every driver knows that it's a display showing the amount of brake force you're applying rather than the rate of deceleration.
I think I'd rather be able to stop a train on the mark than to be able to mathematically calculate braking distances. The formula I use is; what I see out of the window x what I feel through my backside + experience.
My apologies. I didn't spot that in the report.
I wonder what might have happened had the driver stuck with his first impulse.
Remember I did say General Professional Knowledge, not a procedure. I couldn't agree more, intuition first and foremost, backed up with NTS, and finally General Professional Knowledge, as required by law.
The TOC traction 800 user manual, clearly stated the percent gauge is not to be used. All drivers used it anyway. It is no different to a notched step. As you state what you select is not necessarily what you will get.
I remember during training and route learning, some would say "brake at the white house in step 2", others would say" brake at the pink house in step 1", others would say" give it some more, that is why it is there, we might lose time". The actual braking point is 6 percent g in good conditions, notwithstanding average gradient component. During poor conditions, distance should be extended possibly by double to 3 percent g. I drove sprinters before we had sanders, excepting one shot. I never ever had a slide in step 1, with the exception of class 153, step 1 always seemed fierce on the scuds. The coefficient of static friction very rarely goes below 0.03 for any substantial distance. Static friction is grater than kinetic, in other words it takes more to get it sliding than to keep it sliding. Same for the reciprocal.
More often than not, slide protection activates and the consist remains generally in control. I think the system activates within 20 percent of a wheel circumference. This amounts to 100ths of a second. The HST incident had slide activity continually for 17 seconds from commencement of established retarding force. At the 17 second point the ATP data recorded 106.5 mph, and the calculation for selected came out as 106.3 mph.
When constants are constant, theory controls practice. When constants become variable, practice controls theory.