GusB
Established Member
No, I don't mean a collection of Leyland Nationals and nor do I mean a collection of National Bus Company vehicles!
I was rather saddened to hear about the demise (alleged) of one particular bus that I remember somewhat fondly from my childhood. I can't remember why but I was searching for photos the other day and happened to come across this:
www.flickr.com
The caption reads:
I've no way of verifying whether or not this information is correct and the "based on incorrect information" bit is a little confusing but, if true, it's a great shame that the bus has been lost; more so considering the effort that seems to have gone in to preserving it in the first place, as well as the fact that it was quite a rare vehicle (one of five with that body/chassis combination).
With old cars there's now an issue where the really old stuff just doesn't float as many boats as it used to, mainly because the people who had such fond memories have passed on and younger generations are nostalgic for stuff that was around when they were young and I fear that a similar thing will happen with older buses and coaches.
We have the National Collection for railway locomotives and rolling stock; should there be such a collection for rare buses and coaches? At the very least, should there be some kind of national register? I would have thought that A506FSS would have made a good home at one of the Scottish museums, either at the Scottish Vintage Bus Museum, the Glasgow Vintage Vehicles Trust or, perhaps more appropriately, the Grampian Transport Museum.
ND6 wasn't the most refined bus in the world but it was one that looked and sounded completely different to anything else that was on the go at the time. Video below:
I was rather saddened to hear about the demise (alleged) of one particular bus that I remember somewhat fondly from my childhood. I can't remember why but I was searching for photos the other day and happened to come across this:
The end for a rare beast.
Ok, its an inanimate object and one shouldn't feel loss when the end comes, but personally I can't seem to help myself when its something rare. This was the last surviving Dennis Lancet with a Perkins V8 engine, one of a small number new to Northern Scottish in their quest to find a viable...
The caption reads:
The end for a rare beast.
Ok, its an inanimate object and one shouldn't feel loss when the end comes, but personally I can't seem to help myself when its something rare.
This was the last surviving Dennis Lancet with a Perkins V8 engine, one of a small number new to Northern Scottish in their quest to find a viable replacement for their Ford 'R Series' fleet.
A506 FSS had been up for grabs several times in the last half a dozen years and I have to confess, I can't comprehend why such an interesting bus has never had anyone put their hand up for it from north of the border.
Without much further comment, I find out today that based on incorrect information, the latest owner just scrapped it. What a total shame.
The photo was taken a few years ago when the Alexander 'P Type' bodied bus made its last trip to Scotland.
FSS . . . FFS!
I've no way of verifying whether or not this information is correct and the "based on incorrect information" bit is a little confusing but, if true, it's a great shame that the bus has been lost; more so considering the effort that seems to have gone in to preserving it in the first place, as well as the fact that it was quite a rare vehicle (one of five with that body/chassis combination).
With old cars there's now an issue where the really old stuff just doesn't float as many boats as it used to, mainly because the people who had such fond memories have passed on and younger generations are nostalgic for stuff that was around when they were young and I fear that a similar thing will happen with older buses and coaches.
We have the National Collection for railway locomotives and rolling stock; should there be such a collection for rare buses and coaches? At the very least, should there be some kind of national register? I would have thought that A506FSS would have made a good home at one of the Scottish museums, either at the Scottish Vintage Bus Museum, the Glasgow Vintage Vehicles Trust or, perhaps more appropriately, the Grampian Transport Museum.
ND6 wasn't the most refined bus in the world but it was one that looked and sounded completely different to anything else that was on the go at the time. Video below:
Last edited: